Figured out why I feel amazing as a fan currently... Sean McDermott is an elite head coach.

DollaBills

32 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

It will be intetesting next season to see how McDermott calls games without Daboll.

Continuity would be good and it seems like Josh has a significant input, sometimes even calling his own shots.

That might require landing the right external hire or just promoting one of the current assistants. I think there will be a few good options, though.

McD went from being pretty conservative, to just going for it, all the time.  That fake punt shocked me, and the 4th down attempt early on was pretty aggressive.  

I think he feels more comfortable doing that w/ the offense we have.  If the fake punt didn't work, he has more faith that we can come back and still make it a game.

But it's great to see him adapt. He has had very few missteps this season.  He has put together great gameplans, handled clock management well and made necessary adjustments all along the way. He's easily a top 10 coach in the league.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

That might be the most critical move next offseason. It's hard to tell who is the most influential in terms of the aggressive playcalling, Daboll, Allen or McDermott. I tend to put McDermott last on that list. If Allen is first then ok, but I kind think Daboll is the mastermind.

Well, he still hasn't won a playoff game yet, so lets wait and see...

That is Nick Wright thinking

7 minutes ago, Success said:

McD went from being pretty conservative, to just going for it, all the time.  That fake punt shocked me, and the 4th down attempt early on was pretty aggressive.  

I think he feels more comfortable doing that w/ the offense we have.  If the fake punt didn't work, he has more faith that we can come back and still make it a game.

But it's great to see him adapt. He has had very few missteps this season.  He has put together great gameplans, handled clock management well and made necessary adjustments all along the way. He's easily a top 10 coach in the league.

Indeed, Success, and Marv Levy was pretty conservative, too.  

How great was it to see a conservative "run and stop the run" coach, in his late 60s, along with his OC also in his late 60s at the time think outside of the box and their comfort zone to come up with the No Huddle that revolutionized* offense in the NFL and changed the fortune of their team for years to come?

* yes, Cincy did it first, but the Bills made it work.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 12:19 PM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

These are the best coaches in the NFL... They either have next-level smarts or an elite ability to motivate players to perform.

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear... So Bills fans are like, "We're 8-3! Enjoy it!" But I see a frustrating period of good-but-not-good-enough on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

And that's depressing. I am absolutely not of the "Hey, it's Buffalo; at least we're winning" type of mentality. It's championships or nothing. That is the life goal. And with McDermott signing a long-term contract, I almost feel as hopeless as I would if we sucked. If we sucked, at least there would be hope of striking coaching gold on an imminent hire. In this case, though, I feel like we'll just be a solid playoff team for the next many years, but not elite enough to win it all.

Can we get an update on this list

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/30/2020 at 12:37 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Vrabel is a meathead.  He inherited a playoff team. He then has two 9-7 seasons, and 1 playoff appearance.  Yeah, the Titans won some playoff games last year, but I think the jury is still out on him being a great coach (or even a good one).  If you recall, they couldn't fill their stadium for half the year, until they went on a late-season run.  

while we are bumping— Mr. Miyagi

looking very wise. Very wise.

Not a fan of Vrabel. Shouldn’t have punted on 4th and 2 from the 40. Why are you paying Derrick Henry if not for that exact situation. 

As for McDermott. I’m pleasantly surprised we have a passing attack considering his rhetoric in first 3 seasons. 

I have an unprovable suspicion he’s the reason we are very conservative while backed up on offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Not a fan of Vrabel. Shouldn’t have punted on 4th and 2 from the 40. Why are you paying Derrick Henry if not for that exact situation. 

As for McDermott. I’m pleasantly surprised we have a passing attack considering his rhetoric in first 3 seasons. 

I have an unprovable suspicion he’s the reason we are very conservative while backed up on offense. 

not going for it on 4th and 2 was ridiculous.  

• Like (+1) 2