Figured out why I feel amazing as a fan currently... Sean McDermott is an elite head coach.

DollaBills

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I don’t get it we have arguably the best HC and GM combo since Levy/Polian era and we’re 8-3 leading the AFC East and people still have the audacity to B word and complain. Good ***** grief 🤦‍♂️ 

Exactly.   I was one of countless Bills fans who actually left that 2018 opener in Baltimore at the start of the 4th QTR , the team was that bad and was getting killed .  What McBeanes have on the field 27 months later is nothing short of remarkable.  The turnaround from then to now is astonishing.   Passing game gone from worst to first in a pass-first league.   Tremendous locker room by all accounts.    

I think some of you forget it is still a learning process with first time coaches. 
Everyone crowns Andy Reid as this god like coach and he lost almost all the big games in Philly and was regarded as a coach who chokes in prime time. Makes the playoffs every year but his teams fell apart under the bright lights. He was even a solid but joke hire for Kansas City. There is nothing wrong with Mcdermott. There are areas to improve on but you can say that with almost every coach in the league. But not every coach in the league has accomplished what Mcdermott has turning this franchise around so far. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

He does a good job running the overall program. as long as he brings in talented to guys to delegate to, I feel good. I'm not really sold on Daboll though. I think we could go to the next level with the RIGHT change. It shouldn't happen until he leaves for greener pastures though. 

what? Daboll has been much improved this season. 

if anything our FO needs to do a better job building this team. Half of Our defense is aging quick and the other half are young guys who we have no idea how they will pan out. 

3 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

what? Daboll has been much improved this season. 

if anything our FO needs to do a better job building this team. Half of Our defense is aging quick and the other half are young guys who we have no idea how they will pan out. 

the lack of adjustments when the opposition stifles our passing game worries me. Maybe im being too picky. it just seems there are too many long stretches where we can't do anything at all. 

6 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

These are the best coaches in the NFL... They either have next-level smarts or an elite ability to motivate players to perform.

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear... So Bills fans are like, "We're 8-3! Enjoy it!" But I see a frustrating period of good-but-not-good-enough on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

And that's depressing. I am absolutely not of the "Hey, it's Buffalo; at least we're winning" type of mentality. It's championships or nothing. That is the life goal. And with McDermott signing a long-term contract, I almost feel as hopeless as I would if we sucked. If we sucked, at least there would be hope of striking coaching gold on an imminent hire. In this case, though, I feel like we'll just be a solid playoff team for the next many years, but not elite enough to win it all.

When Belichick was in his fifth season as a head coach (25-35), was he on anyone's list as the best in the NFL?  Payton was 25-23 after three years.  Tomlin inherited a team built by Bill Cowher, a team that won a Super Bowl a year before Tomlin took over.  Reid was 27-21 after three seasons.

McDermott was 25-23 after three seasons, and now he's 33-26.  

What's the problem?  

Coaches grow and develop.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

When Belichick was in his fifth season as a head coach (25-35), was he on anyone's list as the best in the NFL?  Payton was 25-23 after three years.  Tomlin inherited a team built by Bill Cowher, a team that won a Super Bowl a year before Tomlin took over.  Reid was 27-21 after three seasons.

McDermott was 25-23 after three seasons, and now he's 33-26.  

What's the problem?  

Coaches grow and develop.  

THANK YOU! 

The people who want to panic because we haven’t won a Super Bowl yet make me crazy. Could some things be better? Of course. The coaches are just like the players. You hope they get better every year, except they don’t lose a step in their 30’s.  McD will tell you that about himself!

If you look at where we were for almost two decades, then look at what we have accomplished with McD, I don’t understand how you could possibly be unhappy and considering a change! Goodness! 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

the lack of adjustments when the opposition stifles our passing game worries me. Maybe im being too picky. it just seems there are too many long stretches where we can't do anything at all. 

It should worry you, but there is a large component where "it's about the Jimmies and Joes, not the X's and O's"

If Daboll designs pass plays with outlets for quick throws and Josh overlooks them in favor of a double-covered WR down the field, well....not much he can do during the game but talk to him when he comes off the field and at halftime.

If Daboll designs run plays that should work if guys hit on 2 of 5 blocks and they can't sustain any of them (or just whiff)....that's a tackle for loss.

If we get put behind the chains because of penalties...likewise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

Not a good day to make this point because there were very noticeable adjustments on offense yesterday. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I don’t get it we have arguably the best HC and GM combo since Levy/Polian era and we’re 8-3 leading the AFC East and people still have the audacity to B word and complain. Good ***** grief 🤦‍♂️ 

Yup, lots of short and long term memory damage here on this forum, it would appear that they don’t remember the seventeen years of futility that ended with the arrival of Beane and McDermott,  I guess these whiners want Dicky “It’s hard to win in this league” Juron back...  

Go Bills !!!

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I wonder how much the perception of McDermott changes if we overachieve in 2017 but DON’T make the playoffs. We finish 9-7 and just miss out... things are great because he took a rebuilding team and performed above expectations. 

It seems many fans are hung up on the 0-2 in the playoffs... which I’ll concede is somewhat fair. What I’ll push back with, is the fact that that first season they were playing with house money. Being there exceeded expectations and they played a competitive game. A win would have been wonderful and nobody mailed it in, but a win surely wasn’t expected, the playoffs weren’t even really in play for many people that year. 

Does the perception change if he’s only 0-1 in the playoffs going into this year? Or do folks just harp on the fact that he’s only been to the playoffs 1 time going into this year? 

Interesting question.

Myself, I think perception doesn't change too much.  I think what people are reacting to isn't just that we lost, but HOW we lost.   

I mean, No *****, There we Were, playing against one of the most feared pass rushers and one of the most famed QB-WR combos in the NFL, and we had them on the ropes.  13-0 at halftime, 16-8 at the end of the 3rd Q.  And we let them back in it with 11 points to take the lead, tied the game at the end. 

Forced a punt in OT, couldn't move the ball and score, got "dunked on" allowing a 3rd and 18 conversion and a 34 yd pass for FG range.

Josh Allen takes a lot of ***** for melting down and this whole "Josh Allen Experience" media theme (which I abhominate), and he did commit a number of errors.  But McDermott's vaunted defense also melted down: losing contain on Hopkins, playing too soft on  3rd and 18, etc. etc.

I think it's not just the loss that rankles, it's the way we lost.

Now it should be noted that the Texans suffered a rather similar fate the following week in KC.  But narratives march on.

8 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

These are the best coaches in the NFL... They either have next-level smarts or an elite ability to motivate players to perform.

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear... So Bills fans are like, "We're 8-3! Enjoy it!" But I see a frustrating period of good-but-not-good-enough on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

And that's depressing. I am absolutely not of the "Hey, it's Buffalo; at least we're winning" type of mentality. It's championships or nothing. That is the life goal. And with McDermott signing a long-term contract, I almost feel as hopeless as I would if we sucked. If we sucked, at least there would be hope of striking coaching gold on an imminent hire. In this case, though, I feel like we'll just be a solid playoff team for the next many years, but not elite enough to win it all.

Until 10 months ago Reid could not win the big one, Tomlin has not the AFC in a decade, Payton is 4-6 in playoffs in the past decade, and Vrabel and Shanahan are new. I am sorry but this is a terrible comment from top to bottom.