Figured out why I feel amazing as a fan currently... Sean McDermott is an elite head coach.

DollaBills

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Exactly, and yes, I would.

Even if we had lost to the Bengals and only beat Jax by 3, Denver by 2, Minnesota by 1...and Bears by 7 and Texans by 6?

Somehow I think that you would be using that to say McD wasn't a good coach (rather than pointing to 3 big wins by 26, 19, and 14 points).

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I appreciate the kind word. 

The point I wanted to make is that it all depends upon perspective.  Some people have the perspective that negative or dissenting viewpoints are not welcome or even allowed here.  Other people have the viewpoint that the board is overly cluttered with negative and dissenting viewpoints to the point where it's degraded and they don't want to be here.

My viewpoint is 🤷‍♂️

I can tell I'm a born moderate, I can usually get both sides of an argument mad at me 😜

No worries my friend.  If people are honest about their dissenting views, I’m cool.  I won’t rewrite my stuff as there is too much of that sometimes.  As Rodney said, can’t we all just get along.  I don’t mean that disparaging.  I think he was onto something 28 years ago.

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

These are the best coaches in the NFL... They either have next-level smarts or an elite ability to motivate players to perform.

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear... So Bills fans are like, "We're 8-3! Enjoy it!" But I see a frustrating period of good-but-not-good-enough on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

And that's depressing. I am absolutely not of the "Hey, it's Buffalo; at least we're winning" type of mentality. It's championships or nothing. That is the life goal. And with McDermott signing a long-term contract, I almost feel as hopeless as I would if we sucked. If we sucked, at least there would be hope of striking coaching gold on an imminent hire. In this case, though, I feel like we'll just be a solid playoff team for the next many years, but not elite enough to win it all.

Only 1 of those guys on this list not named Bill has won a SB in the last 10 years.  2 of them haven't won one and while he's absolutely an offensive genius, he over thought the SB and allowed the Patriots every opportunity to come back and win in an historic meltdown.  Decisions that absolutely boggled the mind.  

Reid is took him almost going into his 3rd decade of coaching and landing arguably someone who will be one of the 5 best QBs ever.

Steeler fans had been relentlessly calling for Tomlin's head up until last season.  

We have a bad habit in our sports world of immediately want to crown or call trash.  I think a guy that is likely headed toward taking this team to a 3rd playoff trip in 4 years (one of which was with Tyrod Taylor) its probably safe to say we got a good coach and whatever they're doing is working.  He's developing to much like our QB.  

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

These are the best coaches in the NFL... They either have next-level smarts or an elite ability to motivate players to perform.

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear... So Bills fans are like, "We're 8-3! Enjoy it!" But I see a frustrating period of good-but-not-good-enough on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

And that's depressing. I am absolutely not of the "Hey, it's Buffalo; at least we're winning" type of mentality. It's championships or nothing. That is the life goal. And with McDermott signing a long-term contract, I almost feel as hopeless as I would if we sucked. If we sucked, at least there would be hope of striking coaching gold on an imminent hire. In this case, though, I feel like we'll just be a solid playoff team for the next many years, but not elite enough to win it all.

As soon as you put Tomlin in there you lost me as this being great coaches.  He's lucky he hasn't been fired.   He also benefited many years of not having much competition in division other than Ravens and they've had their share of bad seasons too.   What exactly has Vrabel done?  Shanahan is that the guy that's the coach of the 5-6 49's and is 28-31 lifetime?  Reid makes the list for lifetime achievement and one SB victory. Similar with Payton, but not nearly as long a career as Reid.

There's Belichick and maybe Reid and Payton, then a bunch of guys who may look great some years and other years very average.

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

As soon as you put Tomlin in there you lost me as this being great coaches.  He's lucky he hasn't been fired.   He also benefited many years of not having much competition in division other than Ravens and they've had their share of bad seasons too.   What exactly has Vrabel done?  Shanahan is that the guy that's the coach of the 5-6 49's and is 28-31 lifetime?  Reid makes the list for lifetime achievement and one SB victory. Similar with Payton, but not nearly as long a career as Reid.

There's Belichick and maybe Reid and Payton, then a bunch of guys who may look great some years and other years very average.

Tomlin is not top rank elite for me but he has never had a losing season and getting that O sans Ben to 8-8 last year was a hell of a coaching job. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Tomlin is not top rank elite for me but he has never had a losing season and getting that O sans Ben to 8-8 last year was a hell of a coaching job. 

I think because he's in a solid organisation, and has had the benefit of a franchise QB, he hasn't been given enough credit through the years. Last year showed that he is a good coach, imho, and is now getting some just desserts.

I've not read the whole thread, just the first page or so, but I'm guessing that someone has tried to explain that McDermott is also a 'work in progress'. I believe he would tell you that himself as well.

While I think his nature is conservative, with the small 'c', I also think that he isn't afraid to be aggressive, when he thinks it's necessary - on either O or D. Players want to play for him, and unlike Jauron, he isn't afraid to embrace new ideas.

Atm, the only team that actually scares me, as a playoff/championship opponent, are the Chiefs. Anyone else, and I think we have a fair crack at beating them, and that would include in a Superbowl. Should the Bills win their first playoff game, and somoeone else does us a favour by squeaking past the Chiefs, expectations should be high that we could get it all.

And that is with McDermott as our HC.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

Just sit back and think about our coaches leading up to Mclappy.............................................

let the names sink in............................

there do you feel better now??????????

If not you're hopeless bro

McDermott is a great coach.. I’m not sure what his potential is.. He did, with the help of Brandon Beane find us a franchise QB so I’m assuming he will win a load of games here.. but as far as long term success, he will have to shift away from being a DC at HC into more of an offensive mind as well.. Needs to get that side of the ball down the way Belichick did.. Needs to understand how to keep a top notch quality staff on offense and to do so he needs to study and master that side of the ball not just defense. Ideally we need to be loaded so deep in terms of coaches & assistants on offense that when Daboll leaves we keep the same system for Josh and we have great coaches to execute the scheme and coach up the players.. So McD needs to know inside out on who to hire and who not to.. The difference between hiring the next Daboll or Dennison will either help him keep his job or lose his job.. Constantly keeping that offensive staff loaded will be his greatest challenge as a HC..

Is that the same Shanahan that got outscored 46-0 in superbowl 4th quarters?

GENIUS !  I want a guy like that on my side.  Mr Clutch I call him.

McD is learning as a head coach.   He's already a good leader and detail guy, but there's no school for getting to be a good clock manager, call challenger, or in game adjuster.   

The only way to do it is to do it. (and have some good calm, analytical people on your headset to offer suggestions).  

I hope Sean isn't too easy on Beane when we whiff on a draft pick and that he doesn't cater too much to Beane's ego in terms of overplaying someone who otherwise wouldn't be on the field if he was a free agent and we didn't burn draft capital on them.  Knox and possibly Ford come to mind.   That would be my only worry with McD, that neither he nor Beaner pull the rip chord early enough on guys that aren't going to pan out.

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

This season is about taking the next step, if we can, and actually winning a playoff game.

I think your concerns here are generally a step or 2 ahead of where most Bills fans are right now, though this conversation will be more relevant if we lose our first playoff game, for the 3rd time.  

I've been wondering since this season began if we are a 1 and done playoff team, or better than that, and I still don't know.

• Like (+1) 1

Other than the hoodie, this list has done less than Sean. 2 out of3 seasons in playoff with pedestrian personnel. Grooming a franchise QB that is already top 5 in NFL. OC is on short list for coaching jobs and 8 and 3 this year. In case you're going to say Reid, look at the dumpster fire his career was before Mahomes. 

I wonder how much the perception of McDermott changes if we overachieve in 2017 but DON’T make the playoffs. We finish 9-7 and just miss out... things are great because he took a rebuilding team and performed above expectations. 

It seems many fans are hung up on the 0-2 in the playoffs... which I’ll concede is somewhat fair. What I’ll push back with, is the fact that that first season they were playing with house money. Being there exceeded expectations and they played a competitive game. A win would have been wonderful and nobody mailed it in, but a win surely wasn’t expected, the playoffs weren’t even really in play for many people that year. 

Does the perception change if he’s only 0-1 in the playoffs going into this year? Or do folks just harp on the fact that he’s only been to the playoffs 1 time going into this year? 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1