Reserve Kicker on PS

mushypeaches

Seeing full well the escalation of COVID and its random impacts on NFL teams and schedules, first I'm glad that the Bills have been diligent with protocols, and have been proactive with isolating one of their QB's (Fromm) all season.  Not that he would have done great in a situation like the Broncos just went through on Sunday, but you get the picture.

At what point would it seem prudent to sign a reserve place-kicker and stash him on the Practice Squad for this type of insurance? 

With 15 spots on the PS, it's not like we're really hurting the team by devoting one to an emergency kicker.  But I'd certainly rather have one going into the playoffs than be forced to scramble or heaven forbid, cost us a game if Bass can't play.  I think it's the next step of being sufficiently prepared and ready - and maybe ahead of the curve if other playoff-bound teams are also thinking this way.

C'mon Beane - get'r done!

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I wouldn't be opposed to having a reserve kicker, but its more likely you can get through a game without a kicker/punter/LS than say a QB.

Just go for two and squib kick with whoever volunteers. It won't be pretty, but it wouldn't be a disaster 

There's definitely a guy on the team who has punted or kicked at some point in their lifetime.  Not well, but has done it.  The problem is likely that all 3 of these guys would likely hit the reserve list - so now you need a guy to snap it, a guy to punt/kick and a guy to hold it.  

My guess - centers already do a bit of long snapping drills.  The punter and kicker both practice a little bit of doing both.  and someone like hyde who's just good at stuff would be your fill in. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I wouldn't be opposed to having a reserve kicker, but its more likely you can get through a game without a kicker/punter/LS than say a QB.

Just go for two and squib kick with whoever volunteers. It won't be pretty, but it wouldn't be a disaster 

Agreed.  No QB = no points.  No kicker means no field goals/extra points. No punter means go for it when its close, and or line up and have allen punt out of a deep shotgun.  Every center can probably snap them long, the consistency is the big problem.

Edited by dneveu

I think there are enough washed-up vets out there that the Bills could probably sign one very quickly. You wonder if they have even told Haush$ to be on call in the event they need to sign someone?

I wonder if having more QB's in quarantine would be wise. I don't feel great that our quarantine QB is Fromm.  You would think Kyle Orton-- who lives for this--would agree to sign with a team to be stashed away. 

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think there are enough washed-up vets out there that the Bills could probably sign one very quickly. You wonder if they have even told Haush$ to be on call in the event they need to sign someone?

I wonder if having more QB's in quarantine would be wise. I don't feel great that our quarantine QB is Fromm.  You would think Kyle Orton-- who lives for this--would agree to sign with a team to be stashed away. 

Not trying to be an azz but how does KO live for this?  I'm not getting it.  I like the idea tho....I would NOT want to see Fromm trotted out there as the one who needs to win a ball game.

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Not a bad idea and probably of more value than an extra WR. 

One would think Hauschka would be the first guy they call as he is still a free agent

yea that would probably be the right call to just bring him on the practice squad at the end of the season to have for the playoffs incase bass was to test positive.  

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

Not trying to be an azz but how does KO live for this?  I'm not getting it.  I like the idea tho....I would NOT want to see Fromm trotted out there as the one who needs to win a ball game.

Just sort of a joke. Orton is the guy who always seems to be sitting on his couch and is able to sign onto a team for a couple million when they are in a pinch. I think he did that with both us and the Cowboys.  

• Like (+1) 1

There always are 6 or 10 or 12 kickers with NFL experience (some game experience, but at least significant practice experience) bagging groceries somewhere, staying in shape and practicing their kicking.  When your kicker goes down, you just go sign one of those guys.   

I don't see the need to keep kickers on the practice squad.   Practice squad players are essentially free agents - they can leave any time to take a roster spot elsewhere.   If the Bills have a kicker on their practice squad and almost any NFL team offers him a contract to be on the active roster, he's going.  If the Bills don't have one and they need a kicker, a kicker on someone else's practice squad would take the job in a heartbeat.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Just sort of a joke. Orton is the guy who always seems to be sitting on his couch and is able to sign onto a team for a couple million when they are in a pinch. I think he did that with both us and the Cowboys.  

Gotcha.....yeah he did do that with the Boys and obviously the Bills.....

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

There always are 6 or 10 or 12 kickers with NFL experience (some game experience, but at least significant practice experience) bagging groceries somewhere, staying in shape and practicing their kicking.  When your kicker goes down, you just go sign one of those guys.   

I don't see the need to keep kickers on the practice squad.   Practice squad players are essentially free agents - they can leave any time to take a roster spot elsewhere.   If the Bills have a kicker on their practice squad and almost any NFL team offers him a contract to be on the active roster, he's going.  If the Bills don't have one and they need a kicker, a kicker on someone else's practice squad would take the job in a heartbeat.  

Agree - I used to officiate some Semi-pro games.  Kickers are literally a dime a dozen.  At least 2-3 ex NFL kickers would be smashing away in every league I worked for.  Some could boot that ball DANG far.....of course accuracy would always be an issue....

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

So the point here is that with the Covid roster restrictions, you need at least 6 days to bring a guy in.  If anything happens to your kicker within that timeframe, you're stuck with the guys that you have on the roster.  What I'm suggesting is that going into late season + playoff games, what does it cost us to have that replacement guy already in the building and on the Practice Squad.  I don't care if you have to get a new guy every week because some other team poaches the one you have.  It's a position that can make a tangible difference in the outcome of a game if you don't have the guy that can perform in that very specific situation. 

Would you want the Bills to have to go for a TD on the last play, down by 2 points, from the 15 yard line? 

Or would you like to have a guy on the roster that can hit a 32 yard FG 90% of the time?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1