So tired of reading the same nonsense about how the Bills "found a way to win". They didn't...they won the game handily.

Big Turk

I personally call it the "I cant believe that the bills are actually a good team" syndrom

I mean.....I get it.....we have been finding ways to LOSE (prior to McBeane) for over a decade.....now people actually need therapy when we are supposed to WIN a game.....now its not enough to win....we need to win by multiple touchdowns and every player needs to play like a pro bowler every game.....or some how some way the game is gonna get away from us.

Deep breaths

Count to 10

The bills are good.....say it with me...the bills are a good team...they deserve to win.....say it with me

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

This gets thrown around way too much on this board. "Finding a way to win".

Improve your experience by ignoring anyone who responds to yourself with meh react_meh.png

I have a poster who fills my reactions with it to annoy me.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I personally call it the "I cant believe that the bills are actually a good team" syndrom

I mean.....I get it.....we have been finding ways to LOSE (prior to McBeane) for over a decade.....now people actually need therapy when we are supposed to WIN a game.....now its not enough to win....we need to win by multiple touchdowns and every player needs to play like a pro bowler every game.....or some how some way the game is gonna get away from us.

Deep breaths

Count to 10

The bills are good.....say it with me...the bills are a good team...they deserve to win.....say it with me

Only therapy which will work on some is cyanide.  So opposing fans are more Bills fans than them.

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

When did the Chargers go away from the powder blue jerseys or do they still wear that color for home games (not that they really have a home anymore) Most people always thought they were one of the sharpest looking uniforms,these new ones looked pretty ugly.

It seems to me that the Chargers have about 18 uniform combinations .......agree, yesterday was not their best look at all

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

This denotes the team overall played poorly, was outplayed by the other team, was losing for much of the game, but made a key play or got some luck somehow at the end and pulled it out.

That wasn't what happened yesterday. Not even close. 

1) The Bills never trailed and led for 57 minutes of the game.

2) Up 24-6, the 18 point deficit was the largest the Chargers have faced all year.

3) The Bills snapped the longest streak in the NFL of 12 consecutive 1 score games the Chargers have played.

Now...if you want to say they didn't play their best, then yes I would agree. But they sure didn't play poorly. They made Herbert look very average to below average much of the game. They took away Allen and Williams from the passing game most of the day. They ran the ball exceptionally well. They stopped the run very well except for 1 long run. Special teams played well.

They had a series of 7 plays that they probably want back that resulted in 3 turnovers. It happens. The Bills are not especially turnover prone usually.

Can they play better? Yeah.

Do the Bills "let other teams back into games" more than most good teams? No not really. Look around the NFL...teams that are up big ens up holding on for dear life at the end of games more often than not.

Is it realistic to think they will play their best every game? No. No team in the NFL does. If you think they do, you simply don't watch much football other than the Bills games apparently.

Does this mean they "found a way to win"? No. They kind of dominated the game and cruised to victory even though they hit a few potholes on the way. The game was never really in doubt at any point.

Some people really need to get some perspective with their over the top dramatics.

I agree with this, I really do, so I have little advice to offer you, other than staying away from jerry Sullivan articles.  I've you've already done that, well then, I got nothing.

4 hours ago, Dan said:

I think “newer” fans have all grown up I no the fantasy football era.  And as such, they look at point totals, stats, and such as an indicator of being good.   300 yd passer..is good.  150yd passer is bad.  Doesn’t matter that the team wins or loses.  

So yeah they won, but where’s all the amazing stats to show they dominated?  Because you can’t just win you have to dominate and every other hyperbole you can think of. 

I think the league has some doing in all the come backs and so many of the close games.  I don’t want to get too conspiratorial, but it seems we always get rash of ..really.. bad calls to tighten the game up and make it a lot closer on the score board than it really was.  Yesterday was no exception.  It’s almost as if the Refs decided they needed to get it to a one score game and made sure the Bills didn’t run away with it. 

The notion that you have to beat the Refs and the other team is as true now as it has ever been. 

8-3 is feeling pretty sweet!  

I'm not a conspiracy guy but I've noticed that across the league this year.  I forgot which game it was, but in a series of 3 plays, the refs completely changed the momentum of the game and brought it back into "competitive range". Something like, instead of going up by 3 scores, a sequence of penalties takes away the points, ends the drive, and with a ghost call, provides the other team with fantastic field position.

And it hasn't just been once or twice.  I've found myself thinking that a number of times this year already.

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I watched Herbert's PC after the game and he said it was an audible from him on the sneak and it was a miscommunication.

Thanks.  

Another pin to stick in Lynn.   I'm telling you, there is no way at this point in the season that a McDermott team or a Belichick team miscommunicates on that audible.   Everyone is prepared, everyone does his job.  

6 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Too add on to your point about the refs keeping the games right, it happens in all leagues. The NHL is notorious for it. I believe it comes for the league offices as they love parity and games being close. I hate it. I hate artificial parity that sports have become. Either by refs told to be game managers or as in the case of the NHL, giving teams points for losing in OT to keep the standing close. I'm sorry but all leagues are much better when they have dominant teams. I personally want to see greatness and hate seeing teams run out the clock to end the game. I wish more teams were like the Pat teams of old where they never too their foot of the gas. 

They're Harrison Bergeroning the league into mediocrity, in a way. I like the conspiracy theory, because I see enough of a lining of truth in it. 

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

KC is also Super Bowl champ and not still in prove yourself mode. They have the mindset of winning it all. In addition they beat won 5 games by 2 TD's or more. The Bills have won 0 by that margin. 

Doesn't matter. It all just shows it was a close game. The fact a FG being made or missed shows that. The Bills hung on by a thread. The starting D was on the field until the final whistle. Would be nice to let some guys get some time off late in the game once in while...

Honestly what even is prove it mode...like do you think our team should be scoring meaningless touchdowns against someone like the Seahawks rather than running out the clock so fans feel better about the team lol chargers had to covert on 4th down like 6 times and recover back to back fumble  just to keep that game within striking distance...they hung on by a thread? The game was never even tied 🤣 

15 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Honestly what even is prove it mode...like do you think our team should be scoring meaningless touchdowns against someone like the Seahawks rather than running out the clock so fans feel better about the team lol chargers had to covert on 4th down like 6 times and recover back to back fumble  just to keep that game within striking distance...they hung on by a thread? The game was never even tied 🤣 

Prove it mode - If the Bills won the Super Bowl last year no one would even question them or close wins. When you are unproven your quality of wins, etc will be talked about.

That game could have easily turned out differently. Bass misses the FG and we are likely headed to OT. We had our starters out there and were at 110% intensity until the final minute.

Just now, ngbills said:

Prove it mode - If the Bills won the Super Bowl last year no one would even question them or close wins. When you are unproven your quality of wins, etc will be talked about.

That game could have easily turned out differently. Bass misses the FG and we are likely headed to OT. We had our starters out there and were at 110% intensity until the final minute.

Could have, would have, should have...

15 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Could have, would have, should have...

I dont buy it either. Just like saying we should have won the AZ game. We didnt.

Point of most of this thread though is saying this game was not even close. Yes it was. The fact there is even a would Could have, would have, should have debate shows that. We won who cares, but it is ok to admit it was a close game. 

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I dont buy it either. Just like saying we should have won the AZ game. We didnt.

Point of most of this thread though is saying this game was not even close. Yes it was. The fact there is even a would Could have, would have, should have debate shows that. We won who cares, but it is ok to admit it was a close game. 

I guess when a team leads for 57 minutes and the other team never really threatened to take the lead or even tied the game, I don't consider it a close game. We just have differing opinions of close games.

13 minutes ago, ngbills said:

There really are two different things going on when we talk about stuff like this. 

You're right, of course, that the game was close.   You could tell it was close by the emotions you were feeling late in the third quarter.   It was closer than any of us liked. 

But the reason we talk about whether the game was close is because we're trying to talk about whether the team is good, and how good.  One measure of how good the team is whether and to what extent it controlled the game.  The OP suggests that some fans think that their team isn't good because the game was close.    Whether the game was close or not, the Bills controlled the play for most of the game.   By that measure, the Bills are a good team.  The fact that the game got close is a fact, but it doesn't mean that the Bills are not a good team. 

2 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

They're Harrison Bergeroning the league into mediocrity, in a way. I like the conspiracy theory, because I see enough of a lining of truth in it. 

Its not a conspiracy theory at all. The NHL does it all the time. I'm not saying refs make up calls to keep the game close but they will be apt to call something for a losing team to help them keep the game close. Especially if the losing team is losing by a lot. 

10 hours ago, matter2003 said:

This denotes the team overall played poorly, was outplayed by the other team, was losing for much of the game, but made a key play or got some luck somehow at the end and pulled it out.

You're reading too much in there. 

It just means you were behind or in danger of getting behind and pulled it out.

It doesn't mean you were losing for much of the game or were outplayed. That's just you there. It certainly can be used in situations where you were outplayed and don't deserve to win. But also situations that are nothing like that.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I like the conspiracy theory, because I see enough of a lining of truth in it. 

That was the 2nd part of my statement: I do see some truth in the theory. A theory is, in science, widely accepted, like the theory of gravity. It's just that a theory is not complete and perfect, like the one we're discussing. 

Essentially, goos sir, we agree; cheers: :beer:

12 hours ago, matter2003 said:

That wasn't what happened yesterday. Not even close. 

1) The Bills never trailed and led for 57 minutes of the game.

2) Up 24-6, the 18 point deficit was the largest the Chargers have faced all year.

3) The Bills snapped the longest streak in the NFL of 12 consecutive 1 score games the Chargers have played.

Now...if you want to say they didn't play their best, then yes I would agree. But they sure didn't play poorly. They made Herbert look very average to below average much of the game. They took away Allen and Williams from the passing game most of the day. They ran the ball exceptionally well. They stopped the run very well except for 1 long run. Special teams played well.

They had a series of 7 plays that they probably want back that resulted in 3 turnovers. It happens. The Bills are not especially turnover prone usually.

Can they play better? Yeah.

Do the Bills "let other teams back into games" more than most good teams? No not really. Look around the NFL...teams that are up big ens up holding on for dear life at the end of games more often than not.

Is it realistic to think they will play their best every game? No. No team in the NFL does. If you think they do, you simply don't watch much football other than the Bills games apparently.

Does this mean they "found a way to win"? No. They kind of dominated the game and cruised to victory even though they hit a few potholes on the way. The game was never really in doubt at any point.

Some people really need to get some perspective with their over the top dramatics.

I understand your frustration I’m reading a post where we barely won the game if you call winning a game by double digits barely winning then your expectations are unrealistic