So tired of reading the same nonsense about how the Bills "found a way to win". They didn't...they won the game handily.

Big Turk

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Muppy -

I've kind of been rooting for Lynn, because of *****-storm he went through in Buffalo when the Bills asked him to step in for Rex at the end of the season.  I've wanted him to have some success.  

As I said in my write, I think the Chargers are one of the better 3-7 teams you'll see in the NFL.  Now that he has a QB, I kind of hope Lynn survives.  

Still, I have a general dislike for owners who abandon their fan-base, so I don't mind having piled onto the Chargers' crappola of a season. 

The man has a very talented team and has only managed to win 1 more game than the Jets dumpster fire under Adam Gase has since the beginning of last year. That is almost inexcusable.

It is great to want a coach to succeed because you like him but Lynn is not HC material. He made more poor game mismanagment decisions yesterday than some coaches do in an entire season. It was brutal to watch and I am so thankful we didn't hire him as out coach.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Muppy -

I've kind of been rooting for Lynn, because of *****-storm he went through in Buffalo when the Bills asked him to step in for Rex at the end of the season.  I've wanted him to have some success.  

As I said in my write, I think the Chargers are one of the better 3-7 teams you'll see in the NFL.  Now that he has a QB, I kind of hope Lynn survives.  

Still, I have a general dislike for owners who abandon their fan-base, so I don't mind having piled onto the Chargers' crappola of a season. 

Lynn is getting a ton of flak for the final play sequence.  But a lot of that is coming from the barstool gambling community - less so football people.  

Football people understand that - after a big play with time winding down, the coach is NOT telling the qb what to do.  They should have spiked it - but i don't know that lynn is like, get to the line and call a draw. 

As for the sneak?  That was done after the radio is off anyway, so it was definitely a check (which as soon as he checked to it, made no sense because klein went right into the gap.

They have lost an absurd number of close games, but he was handicapped with rivers turnovers last year, and has a rookie QB and injuries this year.  It's unfair, but he'll probably get canned.

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The big thing that bothered me was that people claim they "blew the lead".  How?  They were winning the entire game, then they won.  LA made it a 1 score game, buffalo turned around and made it a 2 score game, and that was the final.  They even got hosed by the refs multiple times while making it a 2 score game.

And they beat the spread turning back a lot of late Vegas money on the Chargers.

Well, we old farts here grew up in a world that required us to deal with adversity, so we did, and because of that we don’t get all drama queen at the drop of a hat when things don’t go well.

As the generations have gone on, dealing well with adversity, is a skill set that is slowly going away, it’s all part of why Oscar Meyer can’t do the “ fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb in rocks” commercials any more, someone may get offended because they are fat. So you get people freaking out over the team they say they root for when they win a game that they were leading the entire game. Its just beyond pathetic. Bunch of pansies.

Go Bills!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Lynn is getting a ton of flak for the final play sequence.  But a lot of that is coming from the barstool gambling community - less so football people.  

Football people understand that - after a big play with time winding down, the coach is NOT telling the qb what to do.  They should have spiked it - but i don't know that lynn is like, get to the line and call a draw. 

As for the sneak?  That was done after the radio is off anyway, so it was definitely a check (which as soon as he checked to it, made no sense because klein went right into the gap.

They have lost an absurd number of close games, but he was handicapped with rivers turnovers last year, and has a rookie QB and injuries this year.  It's unfair, but he'll probably get canned.

How is it unfair? Rivers is playing pretty well this year. Herbert is the Rookie of the Year running away and has 3100 yards in 10 games, making him and Mahomes the only 2 players in NFL history to do that...

They have multiple probowlers on that team. Maybe an All Pro in Bosa.

Lynn does less with more. There is absolutely NO excuse for only having 1 more win than the Jets dumpster fire under Gase since the start of last year.

The reason they lose these close one score games is because of exactly what happened yesterday with the game management aspect. That matters, especially in close games.

They had the same issues last year losing a bunch of close games. When does he get held responsible for not being a very good head coach?

Is he going to be allowed to keep getting Doug Marrone like passes? The man went 5-11, 6-10 and now is 1-10...when does poor coaching cost a person their job? 

Edited by matter2003

17 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Well, I thought Lynn could have managed the clock better than he did.  There was only one way to win the game at that point, and that was to put points on the board and try an onside kick.  In retrospect, at some point in that last drive he should have spiked the ball and kicked the field goal.  That kind of creative clock management is something a coach needs to master.  As I've said elsewhere, not taking the field goal in the third quarter was a huge mistake.   

Still, I agree, he's likely to get fired, and it's unfortunate.   I think he's a talented guy, and the team is just coming together.   Unless you've been a total disaster, I think HCs are entitled to a little more sympathy in this COVID season.  The HC's job every season is to figure out how to win games, but if they can't figure out how to win during COVID, I wouldn't hold it against them.  

Finally, I think the sneak was a called play.  I think the shift from shotgun to under center followed by a quick snap was designed to cause a moment of indecision that would make it easier for the interior oline to push the Bills off the goal line.   The Bills are just unusually tough in that situation.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

How is it unfair? Rivers is playing pretty well this year. Herbert is the Rookie of the Year running away and has 3100 yards in 10 games, making him and Mahomes the only 2 players in NFL history to do that...

They have multiple probowlers on that team. Maybe an All Pro in Bosa.

Lynn does less with more. There is absolutely NO excuse for only having 1 more win than the Jets dumpster fire under Gase since the start of last year.

The reason they lose these close one score games is because of exactly what happened yesterday with the game management aspect. That matters, especially in close games.

They had the same issues last year losing a bunch of close games. When does he get held responsible for not being a very good head coach?

Is he going to be allowed to keep getting Doug Marrone like passes? The man went 5-11, 6-10 and now is 1-10...when does poor coaching cost a person their job? 

I tend to agree with this. The Chargers, much like the Falcons. We’re finding new ways to lose games every week. And it almost always came down to coaching. Lynn is horrific with clock management and you can say that he wasn’t making calls in the headset on the two minute drill or whatever but the coach is responsible for making sure his team knows what to do in all game situations. Not to mention his plan was to play Tyrod all season.

Side note I hate reading that Josh wasn’t able to do much in the game. That bomb to Diggs was gonna be a huge highlight reel play and it sucks that the PI took that from he and Diggs.

I think there is a rational view of the world that would like to see the Bills start stringing together four solid quarters of football so that they have a shot at going far in the playoffs.  Turning the ball over three times, committing multiple personal fouls and giving up a Hail Mary all in the second half of a conference game does not set the right tone for playoff football.  Glad they won.  Felt awfully close for a blowout.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think there is a rational view of the world that would like to see the Bills start stringing together four solid quarters of football so that they have a shot at going far in the playoffs.  Turning the ball over three times, committing multiple personal fouls and giving up a Hail Mary all in the second half of a conference game does not set the right tone for playoff football.  Glad they won.  Felt awfully close for a blowout.

Definitely @Coach Tuesday

After the TEN and KC losses, Buffalo has really looked strong in only 1 game - the Seattle win at home.  There were some defensive miscues, but the offense rescued them by keeping a healthy lead for most of the game.

They're 3-1 since the KC game, but I'm not confident they can defeat a Chiefs or Steelers in the playoffs.  This team is certainly better than the 2019 Bills, but the goal is to reach and win at least 1 playoff game.  Especially given that NE isn't coming back and Buffalo made the roster investments and have a much improved Allen.

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I thought Lynn could have managed the clock better than he did.  There was only one way to win the game at that point, and that was to put points on the board and try an onside kick.  In retrospect, at some point in that last drive he should have spiked the ball and kicked the field goal.  That kind of creative clock management is something a coach needs to master.  As I've said elsewhere, not taking the field goal in the third quarter was a huge mistake.   

Still, I agree, he's likely to get fired, and it's unfortunate.   I think he's a talented guy, and the team is just coming together.   Unless you've been a total disaster, I think HCs are entitled to a little more sympathy in this COVID season.  The HC's job every season is to figure out how to win games, but if they can't figure out how to win during COVID, I wouldn't hold it against them.  

Finally, I think the sneak was a called play.  I think the shift from shotgun to under center followed by a quick snap was designed to cause a moment of indecision that would make it easier for the interior oline to push the Bills off the goal line.   The Bills are just unusually tough in that situation.  

I think the call of a sneaks fine- but how does the oline not know it's possibly a call (they pass blocked).  Also the only player who knew a sneak was coming was klein.

59 minutes ago, dneveu said:

You practice those situations. There is no way you can take that sequence off the end off of Lynn. Or the sequence at the end of the first half. Or the sequence when he went for it on 4th down thinking it was 1st down. 

It was a horrific coaching display. Until yesterday I was pro the Chargers sticking with Lynn for Herbert continuity sake. But I am off the bus after yesterday. He deserves to be fired.

Just now, dneveu said:

I think the call of a sneaks fine- but how does the oline not know it's possibly a call (they pass blocked).  Also the only player who knew a sneak was coming was klein.

Ooh, I hadn't noticed that.  If the oline pass blocked, it means it was an audible. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Or the sequence when he went for it on 4th down thinking it was 1st down. 

THAT's what Lynn was arguing with the officials about?   He thought they'd gotten the first down?   Did anyone signal a first down or ask that the sticks be moved?   Why would have thought they got the first down?  

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

THAT's what Lynn was arguing with the officials about?   He thought they'd gotten the first down?   Did anyone signal a first down or ask that the sticks be moved?   Why would have thought they got the first down?  

Yea he thought they had the first. So did I to be honest but they were not given it and frankly for a coach not to check that thing is inexcusable. 

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

I honestly think the reason is like that has to with the fact there is sets of fans on this board. On one side you have the fans that have been Bills fans since the AFL days. On the other side you have the fans that just recently started following the team. 

The older fan base has seen it all and just want to win. They don't care what it looks like. 

The newer fan base sees teams around the league blow out teams and can't understand why the Bills seem to not so it often. 

I will say the one thing I will happy to never hear again is how its hard to win in this league. 

As an older fan - not AFL years - I agree with your premise.  A win is a win.  No style points are ever awarded.......Just win baby!!

Go BILLS!

43 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

👆👆👆  Exactly - I always gauge these situations by how nervous I feel in the moment.  If Lynn took the quick FG and they were set up for an onside kick, I would have been nervous as hell.   Then they're ONE play away from what happened in Arizona.  But the way Lynn handled it, I was never nervous.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea he thought they had the first. So did I to be honest but they were not given it and frankly for a coach not to check that thing is inexcusable. 

When it happened I thought it was close, but then I realized they stopped him.  No one signaled first down, right?   So what you say is correct - how could Lynn not be verifying with someone that they got the first down.   I mean, he knows that from a sideline vantage point it's pretty tough to see exactly what happened, so he should be asking all the time.   

In some ways, thinking he got the first down without being sure is worse than knowing it was fourth down and deciding to go for it.   Going for it is just a bad decision; not knowing the game situation is fundamentally unsound. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I am sure KC fans are saying the same thing after allowing TB to get to within 3 points after leading 17-0 and 27-10.

Point is, very few teams are going to play a great 4 quarter game these days in all 3 phases. Other teams are still good and get paid to play just like we do and the rules are slanted to make comebacks more likely.

2 hours ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

I thought PPP was bad but the main board is/has become intolerable and it's the same few that post the same ***** every week.

...and get this, after a ***** win!!

So true. We go out and keep winning and have to deal with this bull crap every week. They excuse away wins like they are meaningless.

• Thank you (+1) 1