So tired of reading the same nonsense about how the Bills "found a way to win". They didn't...they won the game handily.

Big Turk

This gets thrown around way too much on this board. "Finding a way to win".

This denotes the team overall played poorly, was outplayed by the other team, was losing for much of the game, but made a key play or got some luck somehow at the end and pulled it out.

That wasn't what happened yesterday. Not even close. 

1) The Bills never trailed and led for 57 minutes of the game.

2) Up 24-6, the 18 point deficit was the largest the Chargers have faced all year.

3) The Bills snapped the longest streak in the NFL of 12 consecutive 1 score games the Chargers have played.

Now...if you want to say they didn't play their best, then yes I would agree. But they sure didn't play poorly. They made Herbert look very average to below average much of the game. They took away Allen and Williams from the passing game most of the day. They ran the ball exceptionally well. They stopped the run very well except for 1 long run. Special teams played well.

They had a series of 7 plays that they probably want back that resulted in 3 turnovers. It happens. The Bills are not especially turnover prone usually.

Can they play better? Yeah.

Do the Bills "let other teams back into games" more than most good teams? No not really. Look around the NFL...teams that are up big ens up holding on for dear life at the end of games more often than not.

Is it realistic to think they will play their best every game? No. No team in the NFL does. If you think they do, you simply don't watch much football other than the Bills games apparently.

Does this mean they "found a way to win"? No. They kind of dominated the game and cruised to victory even though they hit a few potholes on the way. The game was never really in doubt at any point.

Some people really need to get some perspective with their over the top dramatics.

• Like (+1) 26
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 15

I agree.  They had a few moments when it could have gone sideways, but they were stout when they needed to be.  No points given up on those turnovers.  K. Allen was neutralized.  They held the Chargers under 100 yards rushing and managed the game with the lead.   That TD coming out of the half was huge.  It carried the momentum over.   

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

This denotes the team overall played poorly, was outplayed by the other team, was losing for much of the game, but made a key play or got some luck somehow at the end and pulled it out.

That wasn't what happened yesterday. Not even close. Let's actually look at facts and not the Trump style "see what I want to see" narrative many seem to have.

2) Up 24-6, the 18 point deficit was the largest the Chargers have faced all year.

3) The Bills snapped the longest streak in the NFL of 12 consecutive 1 score games the Chargers have played.

Now...if you want to say they didn't play their best, then yes I would agree. But they sure didn't play poorly. They made Herbert look very average to below average much of the game. They took away Allen and Williams from the passing game most of the day. They ran the ball exceptionally well. They stopped the run very well except for 1 long run. Special teams played well.

They had a series of 7 plays that they probably want back that resulted in 3 turnovers. It happens. The Bills are not especially turnover prone usually.

Do the Bills "let other teams back into games" more than most good teams? No not really. Look around the NFL...teams that are up big ens up holding on for dear life at the end of games more often than not.

Is it realistic to think they will play their best every game? No. No team in the NFL does. If you think they do, you simply don't watch much football other than the Bills games apparently.

Does this mean they "found a way to win"? No. They kind of dominated the game and cruised to victory even though they hit a few potholes on the way. The game was never really in doubt at any point.

Some people really need to get some perspective with their over the top dramatics.

Great post. 

BTW, if the Bills "found a way to win," then the Pats "found a way to win" for like 20 years.  Every Pats/Bills game has been the same-- they cruise out to a lead, they toy with us and let us back in the game a little, and then win it in the end. That happened every year, pretty must twice per year, for 18 straight years.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Great post. 

BTW, if the Bills "found a way to win," then the Pats "found a way to win" for like 20 years.  Every Pats/Bills game has been the same-- they cruise out to a lead, they toy with us and let us back in the game a little, and then win it in the end. That happened every year, pretty must twice per year, for 18 straight years.  

Except those Randy Moss years...

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Fans get hung up on how the game should play out and if it doesn't, it rarely does, then they complain.

Bills got to 24 - 6.  All 3 phases of game were clicking.  Yes they messed up some - turnovers, penalties, and another Hail Mary.

But .......

Bills won, 8 - 3, in first place.  Good times!

24 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

That wasn't what happened yesterday. Not even close. 

I agree, bro! I’ve said a couple times in threads already that this is the Chargers worst loss by point total this whole season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks for this. I agree. I was never really worried they would lose despite the setbacks and some sloppiness. They ended up giving up 17 points. They won by 10. They made some big stops when they had to and some big plays on offense when they had to. The Chargers are not that bad and we needed the win and got it. These are the kinds of games they used to lose with regularity they now win, because they're a good team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

I thought PPP was bad but the main board is/has become intolerable and it's the same few that post the same ***** every week.

...and get this, after a ***** win!!

I honestly think the reason is like that has to with the fact there is sets of fans on this board. On one side you have the fans that have been Bills fans since the AFL days. On the other side you have the fans that just recently started following the team. 

The older fan base has seen it all and just want to win. They don't care what it looks like. 

The newer fan base sees teams around the league blow out teams and can't understand why the Bills seem to not so it often. 

I will say the one thing I will happy to never hear again is how its hard to win in this league. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

there is a focus on the negative that exists I think because mentioning what needs improvement or what is deficient results in more conversation in the future regarding what needs be done to improve those deficiencies. When negativism  is happening at the time its releasing that posters anger and frustration basically a vent, an emotional outburst. It happens when things go well but for a much shorter verbage. I don't think when a team wins that it is usually only "Luck" that causes that result. Unless the loss hinges  a supremely bad officiating call as has happened. But that wasn't the case yesterday. Were there some horrible penalties called? OH YES There were. But ultimately it was the defense and the stands they took to stop the Charger offense and keep them from scoring which resulted in the Win and of course the Bills points

Does the scoreboard Lie? I say NOPE it never does. Can the final score sometimes make a games W seem more easily achieved than it was.  When in fact it could have swung either way depending on a few significant plays? Clearly YES. And the last 2 Bills games are ample evidence of That Lord have mercy lol.  Not to spout platitudes but any Win in the NFL is never a gimme I'll take them however they fall to me and beyond that weeks conversation not let the manner of such win rankle or burn me too hard.There's enough of that when they Lose. 

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

I honestly think the reason is like that has to with the fact there is sets of fans on this board. On one side you have the fans that have been Bills fans since the AFL days. On the other side you have the fans that just recently started following the team. 

The older fan base has seen it all and just want to win. They don't care what it looks like. 

The newer fan base sees teams around the league blow out teams and can't understand why the Bills seem to not so it often. 

I will say the one thing I will happy to never hear again is how its hard to win in this league. 

If they look around the league they would see far more often that teams get out to big leads and then hold on for dear life at the end and have to survive a last ditch effort by the other team to win it...

Pittsburgh has done that in at least 4 games this year if not more...

• Thank you (+1) 1

I agree with you, was just listening to Sal on WGR and half the callers were negative, worried about Hail Mary defenses and basically making up things to whine about.  A lot of "well we won but....."

We controlled the game against a team with multiple pro bowlers on offense and defense without our home crowd in the house for a nice AFC win.

The thing I liked the best was the run game. 

Singletary had an elite 5.1 ypc average last year (as good as Derrick Henry) so we know he can run, but he needed to get on track.  Moss looked awesome too. That one run where he ran into our RT Williams from behind and sent him flying was awesome.  Maybe not for Daryl but to see your RB throw a 300 pounder like that, wow.

He's about power and being low.   I recently read this scout's take on him in college

"Like trying to knock over a weeble-wobble. Mass rides low and he runs with a wide base. Flexibility in his ankles and hips allows for him to catch his body at absurd angles to the ground and still retain his balance and quickly turn upfield. Has a bowling ball approach to tight spaces and an active off-hand to stun the initial brunt of incoming contact. Able to generate scramble drill plays with shocking survival ability in between the tackles."

It was great to see him get a head of steam and do his thing.  NFL confidence grows the more a young kid gets big plays and believes in himself, sees it on tape after the game, gets reinforcement, finds his niche on the team. He's also a better pass catcher than he looks, can adjust to errant throws etc.  Its not like he's a great route runner but for checkdowns and screens he's a nice option.  Daboll is going to use him more and hopefully Josh less, I just wish they'd give kid the ball from 7 yards deep instead of 4 yards, it makes a difference and works against his natural ability to pound defenses.