Hear Me Out: This Win is EXACTLY What the Team Needed

BigBuff423

22 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Ok so this week was "finding a way to put a team that should have lost by 25+ back into a one score game in the 4th quarter"

Yes...because the Chargers have clearly lost by 25 points every game this season. The Bills actually broke the Chargers streak of most consecutive one score games at 12. 

How about know what you are talking about before posting. Far better to not post anything and let people think you don't know much than post and confirm it.

Just now, Jauronimo said:

By struggled do you mean they led the game wire to wire, never trailed, and won by 2 scores?

Led for like 57 minutes out of 60. Clearly they badly struggled.

17 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I wouldn’t say cruising. More like sputtering. But style points never count, anyway. Like they saying goes, they don’t ask how, only how many. And right now, that’s a nice 8.

Leading for 57 out of 60 minutes in a game, and building a 3 score lead, I consider cruising.

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Every week we get a "hear me out" thread (but 50% of the time it's "here me out" because the OP is illiterate/drunk/both).

Chances are if you have to say "hear me out" you're already behind the 8 Ball with your take...

The Cardinals game was supposed to be the "sloppy win" game until they found a way to lose it.

This team needs to start figuring out how to keep its foot on the gas pedal for four full quarters.

Interesting article in the Athletic today about what went wrong in Detroit.  Synopsis: Patricia and Quinn bought too much into the Patriots' philosophy of waiting for the other team to make a mistake ("More NFL games are lost than won") and as a result, they'd play passively and let opponents back into games.  Over and over again.

McD needs to make sure he doesn't fall into the same trap.  It's trending that way.  Play to win.  Don't wait for the other team to hand you the win - go take it for yourselves.

You mean like how they still aggressively were blitzing Herbert in the last 2 minutes?

Sometimes I wonder if people see what they want to see to fit a narrative they want to write.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I mean they were up 24-6, never trailed, and had the Chargers facing the biggest deficit they faced all year at 18 points.

This was cruising to victory.

Finding a way to win denotes the team was outplayed most of the game, losing for much of it and then somehow pulled it out in the last minute.

This was not even close to that game. People really need to get some perspective on what the hell they are talking about. The Bills were the better team almost all game long and played like it for most of the game.

IMHO, it simply wasn't cruising. The Defense, after allowing another Hail Mary shot, stood tall  to hold the Chargers out of the End Zone at 4th and Goal at the 1, but the Offense had 3 turnovers, penalties and didn't move the ball well in the 4th Quarter to a surging Chargers Defense. It was the Bills' Defense that responded by stiffening up against one of the better Offenses in the league to hold the win...cruising is simply not accurate IMO, because it appears as thought there was little resistance but in fact, the Bills Defense helped overcome the Bills Offensive poor play along with solid Special Teams. And I think that kind of Defensive identity was really necessary to help this team down the stretch. 

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

Whats with those bs penalities.  Spinning the ball?  And the one on motor was nuts also.  Must be some sort of league directive to enforce an obscure rule.

Allen spun the ball right in front of the defender and even looked right at the defender immediate after.  It was a textbook penalty.

Singletary’s penalty was a joke.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They struggled to beat a 3-7 badly coached west coast team playing an early game on the east coast with a rookie QB that played like a rookie.

But it was a win and in some areas the defense looked better. 

Honestly I'm more encouraged on how Josh led them to a late lead at Arizona than I was with what I saw yesterday.

Struggled to put away. Didn’t struggle to win. It was a 10 pt game 

the bills led the whole time. Don’t get it twisted. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Every week we get a "hear me out" thread (but 50% of the time it's "here me out" because the OP is illiterate/drunk/both).

Chances are if you have to say "hear me out" you're already behind the 8 Ball with your take...

The Cardinals game was supposed to be the "sloppy win" game until they found a way to lose it.

This team needs to start figuring out how to keep its foot on the gas pedal for four full quarters.

Interesting article in the Athletic today about what went wrong in Detroit.  Synopsis: Patricia and Quinn bought too much into the Patriots' philosophy of waiting for the other team to make a mistake ("More NFL games are lost than won") and as a result, they'd play passively and let opponents back into games.  Over and over again.

McD needs to make sure he doesn't fall into the same trap.  It's trending that way.  Play to win.  Don't wait for the other team to hand you the win - go take it for yourselves.

To the bolded portion of your statement, I'd say that it isn't "behind", it's merely that after every game there are the people who rave about the game or the "what ifs" or "shoulda, coulda, woulda" and those who champion the cause. The point of the post was to say that this Win IMHO is both and that it is the type of win that helps solidify their whole team mentality because for weeks the Defense has been under performing while the Offense kept the boat afloat. This week the Defense started to look like the Defense of the McDermott era and that they've slowly been making incremental improvements. This game, against a very good Offense, and holding at key moments, showed me (maybe others) that the Defense of the last few years didn't disappear, it was simply hiding behind a number of other factors and then showed some of its true self yesterday. That, along with a much improved Offense and modestly improved Special Teams including a Rookie Kicker that is becoming quite good, demonstrates this team, this year - can be a complete Team: Offense, Defense and Special Teams.

In my mind, that's why this Win stands out and why it was exactly what the team needed: get it's Defensive mojo back while the Offense found a way to score enough and Special Teams was solid but not spectacular. 

IMHO, I expect to see more improved Defense, a return to Offensive potential and solid to spectacular Special Teams play that will even more closely resemble the whole team capability week to week, beginning with the 49ers. 

24 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

You mean like how they still aggressively were blitzing Herbert in the last 2 minutes?

Sometimes I wonder if people see what they want to see to fit a narrative they want to write.

I’m with you, Matter.  I don’t know what people were watching thinking the coaches were just sitting on that leaden all 3 to’s happened on drives that we were picking up chunk yards. And as you said, the defense was HUNTING. I got into this same debate with a buddy yesterday and it’s like he was watching a totally different game. 

Somehow people are mistaking our players giving the ball away as the coaches “playing not to lose”. The bottom line is the offense was driving successfully on each of those drives. One of which was inside the 25 after a huge chunk pass. 

47 minutes ago, Jobot said:

The following happens to every team throughout the season..

1-Win games when you play well

2-Win games when you play poorly

3-Lose games when you play well

4-Lose games when you play poorly

The season is a marathon. You need to improve throughout all 17 weeks and continue to improve during the playoffs. That's it... there is no "magic formula" or "just what they needed" event.

I agree the season is a marathon and the team does need to improve week to week, but to the bolded part I would disagree. There's a reason why culture is so important, especially in the NFL / pro sports, because there are defining moments that sink into the minds of the players which can, if managed properly, propel them toward even better play. And to me, yesterday's win - in the way it all unfolded - was exactly that.

I'll go back to a thread I started last year that compared Josh Allen's concussion moment in the Patriots' game with Tom Brady's moment when he got hit by Nate Clements'. That thread was based on the notion that Brady's numbers started to really improve after that hit, because Brady had some "sense" knocked into him about how to manage the game. Ironically enough, immediately following Josh's 3 INT concussion game against the Pats, his numbers took a drastic turn for the better. Because there are singular moments that can and do change the course of a player's trajectory or in some cases, a team's trajectory. IMO, this was a similar moment for the team. Defense established their identity again, players getting healthy, Milano comes back soon, and the Offense is now finally good enough to overcome it's own mistakes while the Special Teams contributes in meaningful, if not insignificant ways. 

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I’m with you, Matter.  I don’t know what people were watching thinking the coaches were just sitting on that leaden all 3 to’s happened on drives that we were picking up chunk yards. And as you said, the defense was HUNTING. I got into this same debate with a buddy yesterday and it’s like he was watching a totally different game. 

Somehow people are mistaking our players giving the ball away as the coaches “playing not to lose”. The bottom line is the offense was driving successfully on each of those drives. One of which was inside the 25 after a huge chunk pass. 

The Allen fumble came the play after he hit Davis for like a 45 yard gain. Seriously what are they talking about with playing "not to lose"??

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I agree the season is a marathon and the team does need to improve week to week, but to the bolded part I would disagree. There's a reason why culture is so important, especially in the NFL / pro sports, because there are defining moments that sink into the minds of the players which can, if managed properly, propel them toward even better play. And to me, yesterday's win - in the way it all unfolded - was exactly that.

I'll go back to a thread I started last year that compared Josh Allen's concussion moment in the Patriots' game with Tom Brady's moment when he got hit by Nate Clements'. That thread was based on the notion that Brady's numbers started to really improve after that hit, because Brady had some "sense" knocked into him about how to manage the game. Ironically enough, immediately following Josh's 3 INT concussion game against the Pats, his numbers took a drastic turn for the better. Because there are singular moments that can and do change the course of a player's trajectory or in some cases, a team's trajectory. IMO, this was a similar moment for the team. Defense established their identity again, players getting healthy, Milano comes back soon, and the Offense is now finally good enough to overcome it's own mistakes while the Special Teams contributes in meaningful, if not insignificant ways. 

I have never heard a player or coach ever describe something like this to be as impactful as fans make it out to be.  The majority of fans are too emotionally tied to sports teams to watch these games with an unbiased perspective.

Case in point... do you think the Chiefs needed to beat Tampa yesterday in that specific manner to vault them going forward? No.

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The Allen fumble came the play after he hit Davis for like a 45 yard gain. Seriously what are they talking about with playing "not to lose"??

Right. And the motor fumble came after the 2nd straight BIG run. And then an int obviously happens on a PASS. So where exactly does is the narrative coming from? It doesn’t make sense. 

I think it’s been an issue for our staff in the past. This week was not one of those times. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

4 minutes ago, Jobot said:

I have never heard a player or coach ever describe something like this to be as impactful as fans make it out to be.  The majority of fans are too emotionally tied to sports teams to watch these games with an unbiased perspective.

Case in point... do you think the Chiefs needed to beat Tampa yesterday in that specific manner to vault them going forward? No.

And yet, comparing the KC Chiefs to the Buffalo Bills makes sense how? Mahomes is two years ahead of Josh in development, their team is two years ahead in development of roster, and they're coming off a Championship season. Seriously? If that's your best argument you might want to reconsider the merits of that argument. It sounds much more like you're unwilling to consider the psychology of sports and the collective mindset of a team and dismissing the potential viability of its impact than evaluating its potential for truth.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

I am glad we are winning. 

I honestly didnt see this team being this good offensively. 

Very happy to see Josh really take over this team and perform. 

Finding a way to win is a good thing.

But we shouldnt be finding a way to win every week. There are games we should just be outright winning at this point. 

So yeah, if we want to be a real contender we need to shape up towards the ends of these games and close opponents out. 

we won by double the point spread bro, we handled this team all game long, even with three very bad/flukey turnovers. Game was never in doubt, just like a contender should handle a lesser opponent. 

8 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Right. And the motor fumble came after the 2nd straight BIG run. And then an int obviously happens on a PASS. So where exactly does is the narrative coming from? It doesn’t make sense. 

I think it’s been an issue for our staff in the past. This week was not one of those times. 

I think everything changed after the KC game and the light went on for McD and how he approaches games. I was pissed after that game...they played not to lose and more than that almost scared.

Just now, PaattMaann said:

we won by double the point spread bro, we handled this team all game long, even with three very bad/flukey turnovers. Game was never in doubt, just like a contender should handle a lesser opponent. 

Agree to disagree about the never in doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ramza86 said:

Agree to disagree about the never in doubt.

lol ok. Except that my side of the argument is based on fact and the other side of the argument is....delusional? 

They were within a TD in the 4th, and we kept turning it over and yet our defense kept dominating them. Tre then did what the D had been doing all game, and made a play. Then we kicked a field goal to put it back to a two score game. So yea, game was never in double. I mean, maybe in the first quarter when it was 7-7? lol 

1 hour ago, PaattMaann said:

lol ok. Except that my side of the argument is based on fact and the other side of the argument is....delusional? 

They were within a TD in the 4th, and we kept turning it over and yet our defense kept dominating them. Tre then did what the D had been doing all game, and made a play. Then we kicked a field goal to put it back to a two score game. So yea, game was never in double. I mean, maybe in the first quarter when it was 7-7? lol 

It was never 7-7....just saying. 

An awful lot of conjecture here, hear, there.  Bottom line a W was gained.  At the end of the season no one will look back at this game and say an AH-HA! moment occurred.  Because it didn't.  The Bills won the game.  They took charge and won the game.  No style points awarded here, no deep state theories need to be contemplated.  The Bills won.  Next up 49ers.  They have already moved on.

Go BILLS!!!

Edited by Kwai San

2 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

I thought the loss to the Cardinals was exactly what the team needed, and they'd come out firing on all cyliders to finish the season strong?

Score 27 points check held down a very strong offense check beat them by 10 points check what exactly is the problem hereScore 27 points check held down a very strong offense check beat them by 10 points check what exactly is the problem here

I think this team is building and getting better overall while playing much better teams than last year. The Bills have played more teams with winning records than any team in the league. They have 5 wins over those teams. The defense is rounding into form holding a very good Chargers offense down. They just need to keep on winning, however it gets done.