Hear Me Out: This Win is EXACTLY What the Team Needed

BigBuff423

There is always a great deal of debate and discussion following a Bills' game and often we find polarizing opinions on both sides. However, I'd like to suggest that for once we can concede both sides and points of view and still agree that this type of Win is exactly what the Bills needed at this point in the season. 

The Bills' Offense played sloppy, turnover after turnover and sack after sack and STILL found a way to win. The penalties at inopportune times on Offense and a generally lackluster performance by the Offensive Line while we saw a little of 'Bad Josh' show up would have sunk this game in previous years. However, the Offense gutted out 27 points against a 6th ranked Defense against the pass and Daboll utilized the running game to the tune of over 170 rushing yards. The main reason for this win: Defense.

In the years past the Bills would have "found" a way to lose or at the very least not support the Defensive effort to get the Win. However, Daboll recognized that LA getting Bosa back was going to be a problem and instead of trying to force their passing game to win the game, he adapted by running the ball relatively effectively, overcoming mistakes and errors and still have Josh make some key throws at times to keep the Offense productive "enough". Defensively, Frazier / McDermott prepped the team fairly well by getting Herbert, limiting the big plays, not yielding remarkable rushing yards to around 77 yards on the ground. Defense came up with a timely turnover to help stop the momentum shift and give the Bills the chance to hold the game's Win. 

This was the type of Win that in weeks before this one, the Defense would have given up more yards, points, and the way the Offense was playing - ultimately the Loss. This Win and the Defensive effort on the whole showed that while there continues to need to be some improvement, the Defense is trending in the right direction at the most crucial time of the year. The Offense was far from mistake-free and at times unproductive and stymied by a good pass rush, yet they put points on the board when they needed to mark up the score board. The Hail Mary's are frustrating, but rarely serve the Loss to the team the way it did against the Cardinals. Special Teams was not wonderful, but stable and solid when that's what the team needed it to be...not amazing, and not terrible - just good enough to hold the line. 

This was a Win where the Defense had the opportunity to remind us they can win a game even on a day when Josh wasn't the best 2020 version of himself, when the Offense overcame it's own mistakes and highly suspicious penalties, and the Special Teams didn't require them to be "special", just not a liability. The reason in my opinion this game was a very important way to win, is because the other wins have largely been of the Offensive variety and while the Defense would do enough to hold off the surge at the end of the game, they hadn't played wire-to-wire in a win they way they did yesterday. Between Daboll play-calling much better this year to the opponent, Josh Allen taking his next huge stride toward Elite status, the Offense snapping off TDs the way we all hoped a 21st Century NFL Offense should, Special Teams being so much better and a Rookie Kicker quietly coming into his own, the Defense just shifted into place that now shows in the NFL year of 2020 - Buffalo can be a complete team. 

Not just a maybe, or possibly, or if this then that....but really does have the potential to put all of the pieces together to be a complete team. 

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree with the overall theme of your post. We all know the offense can rise up at the end of a game. We’ve seen it all year. They had a fluke fourth quarter. 

I came away encouraged about our defense and what they did against a top unit that had been scoring on everyone they play. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am glad we are winning. 

I honestly didnt see this team being this good offensively. 

Very happy to see Josh really take over this team and perform. 

Finding a way to win is a good thing.

But we shouldnt be finding a way to win every week. There are games we should just be outright winning at this point. 

So yeah, if we want to be a real contender we need to shape up towards the ends of these games and close opponents out. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I thought the loss to the Cardinals was exactly what the team needed, and they'd come out firing on all cyliders to finish the season strong?

when’s the part where you stop crying about an 8-3 team ?  

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They struggled to beat a 3-7 badly coached west coast team playing an early game on the east coast with a rookie QB that played like a rookie.

But it was a win and in some areas the defense looked better. 

Honestly I'm more encouraged on how Josh led them to a late lead at Arizona than I was with what I saw yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Whats with those bs penalities.  Spinning the ball?  And the one on motor was nuts also.  Must be some sort of league directive to enforce an obscure rule.

This was the same crew that called the "INT" against the Rams soooo..........yeah. We beat the refs and the Chargers yesterday 27-10. 

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

They struggled to beat a 3-7 badly coached west coast team playing an early game on the east coast with a rookie QB that played like a rookie.

Honestly I'm more encouraged on how Josh led them to a late lead at Arizona than I was with what I saw yesterday.

The Chargers have been in every game this year with many of them coming down to the final possession. We won by 10, with a -2 turnover differential, and an OL that barely gave Josh enough time to set his feet when he would drop back. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The following happens to every team throughout the season..

1-Win games when you play well

2-Win games when you play poorly

3-Lose games when you play well

4-Lose games when you play poorly

The season is a marathon. You need to improve throughout all 17 weeks and continue to improve during the playoffs. That's it... there is no "magic formula" or "just what they needed" event.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I am glad we are winning. 

I honestly didnt see this team being this good offensively. 

Very happy to see Josh really take over this team and perform. 

Finding a way to win is a good thing.

But we shouldnt be finding a way to win every week. There are games we should just be outright winning at this point. 

So yeah, if we want to be a real contender we need to shape up towards the ends of these games and close opponents out. 

I mean they were up 24-6, never trailed, and had the Chargers facing the biggest deficit they faced all year at 18 points.

This was cruising to victory.

Finding a way to win denotes the team was outplayed most of the game, losing for much of it and then somehow pulled it out in the last minute.

This was not even close to that game. People really need to get some perspective on what the hell they are talking about. The Bills were the better team almost all game long and played like it for most of the game.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

I mean they were up 24-6, never trailed, and had the Chargers facing the biggest deficit they faced all year at 18 points.

Finding a way to win denotes the team was outplayed most of the game, losing for much of it and then somehow pulled it out in the last minute.

This was not even close to that game. People really need to get some perspective on what the hell they are talking about.

Ok so this week was "finding a way to put a team that should have lost by 25+ back into a one score game in the 4th quarter"

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

This was not even close to that game. People really need to get some perspective on what the hell they are talking about. The Bills were the better team almost all game long and played like it for most of the game.

I wouldn’t say cruising. More like sputtering. But style points never count, anyway. Like they saying goes, they don’t ask how, only how many. And right now, that’s a nice 8.

• Like (+1) 1

Every week we get a "hear me out" thread (but 50% of the time it's "here me out" because the OP is illiterate/drunk/both).

Chances are if you have to say "hear me out" you're already behind the 8 Ball with your take...

The Cardinals game was supposed to be the "sloppy win" game until they found a way to lose it.

This team needs to start figuring out how to keep its foot on the gas pedal for four full quarters.

Interesting article in the Athletic today about what went wrong in Detroit.  Synopsis: Patricia and Quinn bought too much into the Patriots' philosophy of waiting for the other team to make a mistake ("More NFL games are lost than won") and as a result, they'd play passively and let opponents back into games.  Over and over again.

McD needs to make sure he doesn't fall into the same trap.  It's trending that way.  Play to win.  Don't wait for the other team to hand you the win - go take it for yourselves.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Every week we get a "hear me out" thread (but 50% of the time it's "here me out" because the OP is illiterate/drunk/both).

Chances are if you have to say "hear me out" you're already behind the 8 Ball with your take...

The Cardinals game was supposed to be the "sloppy win" game until they found a way to lose it.

This team needs to start figuring out how to keep its foot on the gas pedal for four full quarters.

Interesting article in the Athletic today about what went wrong in Detroit.  Synopsis: Patricia and Quinn bought too much into the Patriots' philosophy of waiting for the other team to make a mistake ("More NFL games are lost than won") and as a result, they'd play passively and let opponents back into games.  Over and over again.

McD needs to make sure he doesn't fall into the same trap.  It's trending that way.  Play to win.  Don't wait for the other team to hand you the win - go take it for yourselves.

Great analogy with Detroit. IMO I don't see the letting teams back into the game as the result of a mentality, but more so just players lacking making plays.  To me, watching the games, the offense doesn't go into a conservative 'run the ball' shell once getting out to a lead.. they continue to push the offense. It has been mainly the defense showing up as a massive liability throughout the year.

The Raiders game and Patriots games were wins where I thought wow.. these are games that the Patriots would normally win because the other team just panicked.  I would have included the Cardinals in that bucket too if it weren't for the hail mary.

Defense trending up, special teams trending up, running game trending up (albeit in just one game), coaching looking good. If the passing game can regain its form--not too big an ask, at least when Smoke comes back--the Bills will be looking very good for the playoffs. 

48 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

By struggled do you mean they led the game wire to wire, never trailed, and won by 2 scores?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2