Week 13: Bills at 49ers on MNF (in Arizona)

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, MJS said:

Didn't a lot of money go against the Bills last week too? I think people are going to lose their money again. There's no reason the Bills shouldn't win this game. Obviously a loss is possible, but I don't think it is rational to believe that the 49ers are favored.

Yes, but not to the point that it made the Bills the underdog.

4 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Not sure about the smarter part lol, but I'll take a stab...

QB Josh Allen and Bills RBs vs MLB Federico 'Fred' Warner...Allen should see some winnable matchups in the 49ers secondary and Singletary/Moss exercised some of their demons last week with 139 combined rushing yards and over 7 YPC. However, Warner is a top three LB in this league IMO with a penchant for making big plays and is so central to what SF does on defense (think an A+ version of Milano, no disrespect to Matt). 

Slot WR Cole Beasley vs Nickel CB Emmanuel Moseley...Beasley in peak form and on pace for a career year will likely be matched up against Moseley (SF's #3 guy at that spot behind Williams and Taylor who are both out). To be fair, Moseley was a good player for them last year during the playoffs, but he lost his job this season and is carrying an injury as well.

RBs Raheem Mostert and Jeff Wilson Jr vs LBs Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Milano, and AJ Klein...Mostert is a very dangerous player particularly in the wider areas of the field with his speed and elusiveness. Wilson is a less athletic version of Mostert but a serviceable back up and McKinnon is a shifty weapon in the pass game. Edmunds, Milano (if active), and Klein need to stay disciplined with their eyes and gap integrity, rally to the ball, and tackle well (not something the Bills defense is known for). Edmunds and Milano *should* be well equipped to defend against this SF offense with their range and speed (very few teams have two LBs who possess the ability to neutralize speed on the edge like we do, it's just been a matter of durability and execution for us so far in 2020) and Klein will hopefully continue his impressive play crashing down around the LoS.

WRs Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk vs Bills Secondary...these guys are huge YAC threats and will break some tackles. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, Samuel has -35 negative air yards when targeted in his last few games. The Bills need to play closer to the LoS than usual (less cushion) and gang tackle these guys. Looking for big impact games from Poyer and Taron Johnson (who for all his faults is usually great vs the run and a strong tackler). 

I was dreading this matchup before the season, but I'm cautiously optimistic now given the health and form of each team. Fingers crossed man, Go Bills!

Great thoughts and analysis, bro. Thanks for this, I appreciate it.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Milano Klein and Edmunds can all cover.  Having them healthy makes a big difference. 

Will be tougher to run if we aren't in Nickel all game and I take my chances against mullen with the 3 of these guys blitzing as well. 

As I think about it, it seems possible Buffalo could run a little more defense with three linebackers rather than nickel.  Mullens finds it tough to complete a pass over 20 yards.  Kittle's absence means covering the tight end is a reasonable task for a linebacker.  On the other hand, Mostert is a speed back, but isn't all that physical as a runner.  DBs may not be at a great disadvantage tackling him and being involved in run defense.  The 49ers do make a lot of use of a fullback, and that might be a reason to lean toward using 3 LBs more.

Unless I’m forgetting something here...is the Bills last win on Monday night football in 1999? That’s crazy if that’s true. I know they won that game against the Jets in Detroit on a Monday. But on a an actual MNF game? No wins this millennium? Man the Bills need to break a few of these ridiculous droughts this year. It’s more then time.

Wow I’ve watched/read a lot of national media on this game. Heavy lean towards 49ers and Shanny is amazing coach. JA will make a mistake and 49ers have great skill players. Terrible Stats around prime time games last 20 years. 0-2 this year. I think Bills are better team and will win with D improving, running the ball and JA playing confident and smart. 

8 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I assume he’s referring to some of the QB draws and sweeps they’ve run and possibly how Allen has a TD reception. It’s certainly there on tape, although not a fundamental part of Daboll’s scheme. Who knows though. Maybe Saleh found Allen’s inside running to be particularly impressive. 🤷‍♂️

Seemed to be subtle criticism of running power with franchise QB. The coach speak with “the QB “ without at least saying Allen comes across bit annoying. I was looking at this game pretty calmly but the lead up including this and national media fawning over Shanny like he’s only coach dealing with injuries is making me aggravated. They played division rivals well, good for them. It’s the Bills and I expect both a tough game and a Bills win. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/6/2020 at 1:02 AM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Unless I’m forgetting something here...is the Bills last win on Monday night football in 1999? That’s crazy if that’s true. I know they won that game against the Jets in Detroit on a Monday. But on a an actual MNF game? No wins this millennium? Man the Bills need to break a few of these ridiculous droughts this year. It’s more then time.

correction: it was '99.

Oct. 4, 1999: Bills 23, Dolphins 18

The Bills are 17-26 in their previous 43 Monday night appearances.

The last time the Bills won a home Monday Night Football game? Sept. 26, 1994, when Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas guided Buffalo to a 27-20 win over John Elway and the Denver Broncos.

Edited by A Firm Tree Does Not Fear

12 hours ago, eball said:

Someone's delusional, alright.

The Elf is on the shelf til after Christmas.😉  We needed a little holiday cheer.

Seems strange today. I woke up ready to start clacking the keyboard for PreGame, 1st & 2nd Half threads til I remembered we don’t play til tomorrow night! Still getting used to be TV Darlings.. 🤦‍♂️

54C1DD7B-75A0-4B96-AF20-96684AD39244.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

The Elf is on the shelf til after Christmas.😉  We needed a little holiday cheer.

Seems strange today. I woke up ready to start clacking the keyboard for PreGame, 1st & 2nd Half threads til I remembered we don’t play til tomorrow night! Still getting used to be TV Darlings.. 🤦‍♂️

54C1DD7B-75A0-4B96-AF20-96684AD39244.jpeg

The Elf! I now usually  fall asleep unintentionally before I get a chance to move it.  I have to  wake up hastily just before my boys as the search begins first thing in the morning. I’ve probably gone through all the ideas I could find over the past three years. 

Maybe a little Elf game day jersey would be cool. Place him in front of the tv with some snacks. Then the boys know that they can’t turn the tv off from football for the day.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

The Elf! I now usually  fall asleep unintentionally before I get a chance to move it.  I have to  wake up hastily just before my boys as the search begins first thing in the morning. I’ve probably gone through all the ideas I could find over the past three years. 

Maybe a little Elf game day jersey would be cool. Place him in front of the tv with some snacks. Then the boys know that they can’t turn the tv off from football for the day.

Here’s a couple more ideas,

37B5E4F8-C6EC-44AC-A0EE-CBAD2D03E0CC.jpeg

A3381DC1-FFE2-4F74-BEFA-B8AAAB076DBC.jpeg

D12D1B14-EE8D-4641-BF43-CAB02C32ADAD.jpeg

CCFE138C-F39A-4347-A7F7-D9CE9A9F90CF.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Too many variables in a team sport in this day and age to "fix" a game. 

When the referees have such tremendous power and the rules are open to interpretation, they can have a tremendous impact on a costly contested game. 

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good stuff....but what about Diggs?

Thanks man...yeah Diggs is definitely a key match up and should give us an advantage in this game. I don't believe Sherman or Verrett have the athleticism or quickness (they probably never did, but age and injuries have slowed them down further) to cover Diggs one-on-one so I expect SF to bracket him a lot and/or fade a safety his way. Hopefully we can still get Diggs more involved and our other weapons can take advantage of the single coverage elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

Woke up this morning looking forward to the game day thread and starting my usual Sunday approach and then it hit me...

IM GETTING OLD

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I did the exact same thing 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TigerJ said:

As I think about it, it seems possible Buffalo could run a little more defense with three linebackers rather than nickel.  Mullens finds it tough to complete a pass over 20 yards.  Kittle's absence means covering the tight end is a reasonable task for a linebacker.  On the other hand, Mostert is a speed back, but isn't all that physical as a runner.  DBs may not be at a great disadvantage tackling him and being involved in run defense.  The 49ers do make a lot of use of a fullback, and that might be a reason to lean toward using 3 LBs more.

This is definitely a matchup we’ll do much better in a base defense if Milano is ready.  We’ll find out by 4pm Monday if he’s playing.  We keep going back and forth with disguising safety blitzes from Poyer so !uplinks gets confused not knowing where it’s coming from and we’ll prevail.

11 hours ago, The Wiz said:

All the analysis I've heard is that the like to play man.  Not sure what the split is between man and zone but I believe they like man more.  Could be different against us.

LockedOn Bills did the crossover with the San Fran LockedOn host and he seemed to indicate SF runs more zone that turns into man, as most zone coverages do. In essence if the line can give Josh time, he will be able to find receivers in coverage Josh likes to attack. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, njbuff said:

Klein really can’t cover.

He is at his best attacking the line of scrimmage.

Agree.  He will be blitzing or up at the line for the run but Milano and Edmunds being healthy will allow us to run the base like we did with zo out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, njbuff said:

Klein really can’t cover.

He is at his best attacking the line of scrimmage.

Yeah his blitzing has been really nice as of late.

8 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Agree.  He will be blitzing or up at the line for the run but Milano and Edmunds being healthy will allow us to run the base like we did with zo out there. 

Milano moves so much like a safety, that they could almost stick with the base Personnel and still go with nickel coverage schemes.  The niners attack wide more so than deep And tend to go heavier. Wouldn’t be surprised to see more 3 LB packages from Leslie tomorrow. Seem like Often even when opponents go two WR the bills stay with 5 DBs. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1