Week 13: Bills at 49ers on MNF (in Arizona)

YoloinOhio

51 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Like Shanahan, this David Lombardi seems quite sure of himself too. No question the Bills D has been challenged at times this year, but by far better QBs than Mullens (or even Garappolo for that matter). In fact, by some of the best QBs in the league. Now, that doesn’t mean SF won’t win or that coaching doesn’t matter, but come on Lombardi. More often than not it comes down to the Jimmys and the Joes. You need the horses in this league to win consistently. Especially at QB. 

Correct. The Bills D has just come off of a 3 Game stretch where they played 3 of the top 4 offenses in the league (and already played the #1 offense earlier in the year). They are now playing some of their best football When it comes to playmaking ability and should be completely healthy for maybe the 2nd time all year. I don’t think the Niners should be so cocky with that QB situation they have

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

he is one of the best offensive minds in the league he should be confident. 49ers have done really well with their injuries. 

And McDermott has done a pretty good job on balance of forcing offenses to struggle in his time here...

Nick Mullens should scare nobody.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So this article seems to contradict that point of view:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kyle-shanahan-expects-jimmy-garoppolo-to-be-49ers-starting-quarterback-in-2021/

Shanahan:  "Jimmy has won a lot of games for us this year. It's a lot harder to win games when he's not here. Just hoping we can get him back." 

Lynch: "I think the elephant in the room, everyone wants to know about Jimmy," Lynch said on 104.5 FM KNBR Friday. "We're a better football team when he's out there. We win a lot of games when he's out there, we've struggled to win without him. "

https://ninernoise.com/2020/11/03/sf-49ers-steve-young-convinced-garoppolo/

It was this quote from Steve Young, but another writer tweaked it and made it sound like that was the belief inside of the 49ers building that Shanahan felt that way. 

One of their beat guys said he finds it unlikely that they bring Garoppolo back next year based on performance, cap decrease and Shanahan’s ability to win with any QB. 

Looks like maybe those were spliced together wherever I read that? Or I very well could be misremembering... if that is the case I apologize. 

35 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

he is one of the best offensive minds in the league he should be confident. 49ers have done really well with their injuries. 

Not sure he can say we can win with anyone at qb when they can't really win consistently with mullens at qb 🤣 theyre a one dimensional team that i would expect the bills to be favored against.  Shanahan is in no position to hold out players that could help him win against us imo.  

12 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

https://ninernoise.com/2020/11/03/sf-49ers-steve-young-convinced-garoppolo/

It was this quote from Steve Young, but another writer tweaked it and made it sound like that was the belief inside of the 49ers building that Shanahan felt that way. 

One of their beat guys said he finds it unlikely that they bring Garoppolo back next year based on performance, cap decrease and Shanahan’s ability to win with any QB. 

Looks like maybe those were spliced together wherever I read that? Or I very well could be misremembering... if that is the case I apologize.

Heh.  Interesting how several of these QB Heroes of Yesteryear like to opine that some of these young guns really aren't "all that": Young on Garappolo, Warner on Allen.

6 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Not sure he can say we can win with anyone at qb when they can't really win consistently with mullens at qb 🤣 theyre a one dimensional team that i would expect the bills to be favored against.  Shanahan is in no position to hold out players that could help him win against us imo.  

See above, I don't believe he did.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Heh.  Interesting how several of these QB Heroes of Yesteryear like to opine that some of these young guns really aren't "all that": Young on Garappolo, Warner on Allen.

See above, I don't believe he did.

Yea it really doesn't sound like something any coach would say to begin with lol that post was more 'if he said that he's stupid' 🤣 im sure he's going to play the guy that gives them the best chance to win and a hobbled Jimmy G may not be the guy

This is one of the scarier games I think we play. Fans are going to be over confident but I think San Fran matches up really good against us. Physical and run dominant. Deebo is healthy and their running backs are getting healthier. Hopefully we continue putting up points cause we will probably need them. Really hoping they can’t dominate the clock with their run game and keep josh off the field 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

And McDermott has done a pretty good job on balance of forcing offenses to struggle in his time here...

Nick Mullens should scare nobody.

never said mcd wasn’t lol. The fact he got that defense last year ranked #2 without any real top talent besides White was amazing 

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

give me AJ over Murphy all day 

44 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

never said mcd wasn’t lol. The fact he got that defense last year ranked #2 without any real top talent besides White was amazing 

give me AJ over Murphy all day 

Give me Bam over Murphy. Johnson covered the flat against ekeler really well. 

55 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

This is one of the scarier games I think we play. Fans are going to be over confident but I think San Fran matches up really good against us. Physical and run dominant. Deebo is healthy and their running backs are getting healthier. Hopefully we continue putting up points cause we will probably need them. Really hoping they can’t dominate the clock with their run game and keep josh off the field 

As an out of conference game this is also the least important game that we play over the next 5 weeks.  If I had to pick just one loss for the rest of the season this is the one I would pick.  Sure I hope we go 5 - 0 but I would be thrilled to go 4 - 1.

My guess is that SF sees it this way to. 

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Some notes I took, corrections and additions welcome:

-Asked about Milano, said "we're still working thru that as well as the injuries that occurred yesterday"

(I wished someone had asked if players could come in to be evaluated by trainers and for treatment with the facility closed, or only known injuries)

So no update on Allen's probable MCL sprain.

-Asked about Winters over Boettger, said it's our goal to put the best 5 players on the line.  Asked whether Morse would start at center next week said "we'll see"

-Asked about the trick playcall and how he feels when Daboll calls a trick play, he said he thinks it's aggressive and creative, both things he likes. 

-Asked if losing the lead is something the team needs to address, he said some stuff that surprised me.  I think the reporter was expecting "yes".  Instead he said be sure you're chasing something that's real.  Said teams have come from behind (I think by 2 scores) and won in 35 games this season.   Said it shows that it's a very competitive league and it's hard to win. But he said on the other hand a lot of the time with us, it has been  the result of self-inflicted wounds and that we have to fix because it will kill us over time if we don't.

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

You’re correct.

That’s not really what I was getting at though. I need to find the quote/article that talks about how he’s probably going to move on from Garoppolo and doesn’t really care all that much who replaces him because he doesn’t think he needs an elite QB to win. Maybe someone can help me out... I know I saw rumblings of it somewhere. 

Which is fine, but there aren’t many instances of that in the modern NFL. Hopefully he doesn’t let his confidence get the best of him is all. 

Yep, but Garrapolo is a LOT better than Mullins. That matters at the margins.