What happened to the deep ball?

Penfield45

Feels like since weeks 1-4 we stopped attempting deep balls. I know John Brown hasn't been healthy but we have a fully capable WR in Diggs who is arguably the best route runner in the NFL. Most of his TD's came from deep balls in Minnesota. 

We aren't even attempting any recently. is this by design? We do decent with moving the ball downfield but that big play ability is non-existent on our offense. It can't be opposing defenses because I watch KC beat 2 deep safety's every week with deep balls. 

KC has Travis Kelce terrorizing everyone underneath/intermediate, which opens up deep shots to Tyreek Hill.  

Up until today, recent defenses have actually been taking away the explosive plays from KC as well.  

Brown has been hobbled/out ever since those first 4 games.  

Diggs doesn’t have Thielen out there right now with no Brown... until Davis starts snatching souls week to week, we’re going to have to be more methodical UNLESS we can force teams to fear our run game.  

Getting Brown back changes all that, and it’s also why we sure as **** better get a second speed WR on the roster next year.  

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

Did you forget the bomb to Diggs today that led to first and goal? Sure it was PI, but still produced. 

He was covered and if the DB had turned around it may well have been a pick. It wasn’t a terrible throw, but a better db can make that a pick. 

• Haha (+1) 3

Our offense has trouble integrating a run game into our pass first game plan in a seamless fashion, I think this is part of that, but we are making strides in that direction. 

Go Bills!!!

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

He was covered and if the DB had turned around it may well have been a pick. It wasn’t a terrible throw, but a better db can make that a pick. 

Diggs had him beat and the throw was fine.   There’s a reason why burnt corners don’t just turn around and intercept everybody. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Diggs had him beat and the throw was fine.   There’s a reason why burnt corners don’t just turn around and intercept everybody. 

I thought he was absolutely right on Diggs, but he just didn’t turn around. To be fair, the Bills may have suspected that’d be the outcome. I don’t think it was a bad throw.

Edited by dave mcbride

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If the DB turns around that would have likely been a TD pass to Diggs.  The DB interfered for a reason.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought he was absolutely right on Diggs, but he just didn’t turn around. To be fair, the Bills may have suspected that’d be the outcome.

He couldn’t turn around, he put all his effort into catching back up, i don’t think he stays with him if he turns around. I do think the pass could have been a little further up field in a perfect world...

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

If the DB turns around that would have likely been a TD pass to Diggs.  The DB interfered for a reason.

I really felt he had kept up with Diggs and had it covered. But again, he didn’t turn around. It was a bad play by him in the end. No doubt about that. But Diggs didn’t outrun him and the db was in position to make a play.

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

He couldn’t turn around, he put all his effort into catching back up, i don’t think he stays with him if he turns around. I do think the pass could have been a little further up field in a perfect world...

I see the good dbs make that last second turnaround all the time. Good dbs are hard to find, however.

18 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Feels like since weeks 1-4 we stopped attempting deep balls. I know John Brown hasn't been healthy but we have a fully capable WR in Diggs who is arguably the best route runner in the NFL. Most of his TD's came from deep balls in Minnesota. 

We aren't even attempting any recently. is this by design? We do decent with moving the ball downfield but that big play ability is non-existent on our offense. It can't be opposing defenses because I watch KC beat 2 deep safety's every week with deep balls. 

I'm not saying we did it a lot today but we had the Diggs PI and the Davis deep ball as well. 2 for 2 ain't bad.

30 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

No chance at a pick.

Trying to turn around, keep your feet and track a ball at that speed is just not a realistic option.

You can do it if you're moving at 90% of top speed and under control, but selling out to a desperate sprint to try and close a gap on a guy at top speed, it just isn't in the cards.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan619 said:

I'm not saying we did it a lot today but we had the Diggs PI and the Davis deep ball as well. 2 for 2 ain't bad.

Agree with this. Just to nitpick slightly, the only reason there was a second deep ball was because it was a free play. Not a criticism!

17 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

As others have said, we attempted a few today. But your point is still Valid.

I think part of it is lack of confidence by JA In completing those. He’s still not accurate on the bombs, and I’m sure he knows it. I think the other part of it is we need more of a speedster out there with straight line speed— like how we had Robert Foster. Maybe Diggs can run those, but seems like his strength is intermediate stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Simon said:

No chance at a pick.

Trying to turn around, keep your feet and track a ball at that speed is just not a realistic option.

You can do it if you're moving at 90% of top speed and under control, but selling out to a desperate sprint to try and close a gap on a guy at top speed just isn't in the cards.

I literally saw it happen today for another team. Didn’t make the pick, but he was in position to. Totally blanking on the db, but the player is better than average. If I remember, I’ll let you know.

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

As others have said, we attempted a few today. But your point is still Valid.

I think part of it is lack of confidence by JA In completing those. He’s still not accurate on the bombs, and I’m sure he knows it. I think the other part of it is we need more of a speedster out there with straight line speed— like how we had Robert Foster. Maybe Diggs can run those, but seems like his strength is intermediate stuff. 

Diggs can definitely run those routes, but his game is being able to run ALL the routes. He is brutal to defend against.

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The reason why he didn't turn around is because he was beaten so badly that he needed to run through him to try and get back in the play.

• Like (+1) 1