Milano and AJ together?

BeastMode54

For the rest of the year.. Sure..  But I am completely mortified if we decide to hand out a second contract to Milano unless it’s a cheap 1 year prove it deal.. Some folks say that he’ll get $12M-$14M a year, I don’t think you do that.. I don’t like the idea of paying our LBs that much.. It’s not an important enough position to spend that much money on.. And our LBs have been underperforming..

I like the idea of us switching the MLB roles between Klein and Edmunds.. In running situations Klein plays Mike.. In passing situations and when we’re in the nickel defense Edmunds plays Mike.. Switch it up.. if opposing offenses can’t determine our Mike, it can be really confusing for them..

Ideally I’d like to see us pick up Edmunds 5th year option and we draft another solid LB somewhere in the draft... I think we are getting good value for Klein.. I’ll take that contract all day for who he is and what we’re getting.. $10M for Edmunds in 2022 is also a good gamble for us.. Not crazy money for a LB with his skill set.. Just draft another good player and our cap situation is in pretty good shape..

38 minutes ago, appoo said:

Shanahan will run at you and he’ll pick you apart with shifty players getting into space, within 15 yards, and he the TE involved.

Be an interesting balance between the Sam and Nickel. 

My gut says they’ll play majority Sam as you stop the run against the Niners you stop their primary weapon 

Yep.  They rushed 33 times for 115 against the Rams.  With Mostert back and getting his legs under him, I expect a heavy dose next week. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

For the rest of the year.. Sure..  But I am completely mortified if we decide to hand out a second contract to Milano unless it’s a cheap 1 year prove it deal.. Some folks say that he’ll get $12M-$14M a year, I don’t think you do that.. I don’t like the idea of paying our LBs that much.. It’s not an important enough position to spend that much money on.. And our LBs have been underperforming..

I like the idea of us switching the MLB roles between Klein and Edmunds.. In running situations Klein plays Mike.. In passing situations and when we’re in the nickel defense Edmunds plays Mike.. Switch it up.. if opposing offenses can’t determine our Mike, it can be really confusing for them..

Ideally I’d like to see us pick up Edmunds 5th year option and we draft another solid LB somewhere in the draft... I think we are getting good value for Klein.. I’ll take that contract all day for who he is and what we’re getting.. $10M for Edmunds in 2022 is also a good gamble for us.. Not crazy money for a LB with his skill set.. Just draft another good player and our cap situation is in pretty good shape..

I don't believe Milano will get that kind of contract now. This is pretty much a lost season for him. He may come back and out on a show in the playoffs. That's what it would take for him to get a big contract, I think. Otherwise he'll have to settle for less.

35 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't believe Milano will get that kind of contract now. This is pretty much a lost season for him. He may come back and out on a show in the playoffs. That's what it would take for him to get a big contract, I think. Otherwise he'll have to settle for less.

I mean, if he signed a 1 yr $6M deal I’d take him back.. that’s about the going rate for a solid starting LB.. Even then I may take a LB in RD2..

I think when we do add a LB, which I don’t think is a question at this point.. I hope we add someone who can play all three LB spots.. Edmunds and Klein to a lesser degree all have positional flexibility.. If all three of your starting LBs can play all three spots, it causes havoc on offenses when trying to determine the Mike.. Who is blitzing? Who is dropping back? Where is the pressure coming from? All these things factor into tormenting QBs, disguising packages and stopping the run.. We need someone who can play all three spots and then our defense can start to get really creative.. 

3 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I mean, if he signed a 1 yr $6M deal I’d take him back.. that’s about the going rate for a solid starting LB.. Even then I may take a LB in RD2..

I think when we do add a LB, which I don’t think is a question at this point.. I hope we add someone who can play all three LB spots.. Edmunds and Klein to a lesser degree all have positional flexibility.. If all three of your starting LBs can play all three spots, it causes havoc on offenses when trying to determine the Mike.. Who is blitzing? Who is dropping back? Where is the pressure coming from? All these things factor into tormenting QBs, disguising packages and stopping the run.. We need someone who can play all three spots and then our defense can start to get really creative.. 

And where are you pulling those numbers from? I expect him to be up around the 9 or 10 million range. That's more the average these days.

Milano is much better than you seem to realize. His only issue has been injury, but that may be enough to not bring him back.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, MJS said:

And where are you pulling those numbers from? I expect him to be up around the 9 or 10 million range. That's more the average these days.

Milano is much better than you seem to realize. His only issue has been injury, but that may be enough to not bring him back.

9 or 10 million is a lot of money for a guy who can’t stay healthy.. I think you only have room for one contract like that at LB.. I think you put that money towards Edmunds at this point.. Edmunds is a better option at OLB than Milano.. For the reasons mentioned in the post you quoted.. More durability, more size, more speed, better blitzer, can play all three LB spots instead of one etc.. I see Edmunds getting about $8M-$9M/yr when he’s extended..

I don’t think you sign both Edmunds and Milano.. Too much money wrapped up in the position to justify signing them both.. Not enough production either.. Our run defense has been average at best.. Milano’s injury history factors into it I’m sure.. but he has never been a big run stuffer anyways..

I think you add a versatile LB in the 2nd or 3rd.. A jack of all trades LB who can both cover and stuff the run.. Good luck identifying the Mike.. or figuring out where the blitz is coming from or who is dropping back in coverage.. Could be a lot violent and aggressive on D.. 

24 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

9 or 10 million is a lot of money for a guy who can’t stay healthy.. I think you only have room for one contract like that at LB.. I think you put that money towards Edmunds at this point.. Edmunds is a better option at OLB than Milano.. For the reasons mentioned in the post you quoted.. More durability, more size, more speed, better blitzer, can play all three LB spots instead of one etc.. I see Edmunds getting about $8M-$9M/yr when he’s extended..

I don’t think you sign both Edmunds and Milano.. Too much money wrapped up in the position to justify signing them both.. Not enough production either.. Our run defense has been average at best.. Milano’s injury history factors into it I’m sure.. but he has never been a big run stuffer anyways..

I think you add a versatile LB in the 2nd or 3rd.. A jack of all trades LB who can both cover and stuff the run.. Good luck identifying the Mike.. or figuring out where the blitz is coming from or who is dropping back in coverage.. Could be a lot violent and aggressive on D.. 

But it's not a lot of money. That's my point. There are like 25 linebackers in the NFL that make 10 million or more in the NFL. Some of those are edge rushers. But that's the going rate for starting linebackers these days.

Edmunds is going to make 15 plus.

I think you're all nuts and suffering from recency bias.  Milano is our best LB by far when healthy and is not a "liability" in run coverage.  AJ Klein is painfully slow and should only be used in emergency situations.  He is a good blitzer though.  Which is nice.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I think you're all nuts and suffering from recency bias.  Milano is our best LB by far when healthy and is not a "liability" in run coverage.  AJ Klein is painfully slow and should only be used in emergency situations.  He is a good blitzer though.  Which is nice.

He's been playing better is the point. 

He had 14 tackles, 1.5 sacks and 3 tackles for loss yesterday. 

I like Milano better in coverage but feel like Klein has been a good run stuffer/blitzer in his place. 

Edited by The Wiz

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

We only play with two LBs on the field 95% of the time.

You are exactly right. when Milano was healthy, Klein rarely saw the field.  Now that he has played well and if they are facing a run heavy team, McD and Frazier may play some more base 4-3 defense.  Even if they do, I can't imagine it would be more than 5-8 more plays a game in a 4-3.  

What we might see is Klein out there against more two TE sets, run down and distance situations, and Milano in on 3rd and long and four and five wide sets.  Will be interesting to see.  Then again if Milano really tore his pectoral muscle he won't be 100% until after the season. 

3 hours ago, MJS said:

But it's not a lot of money. That's my point. There are like 25 linebackers in the NFL that make 10 million or more in the NFL. Some of those are edge rushers. But that's the going rate for starting linebackers these days.

Edmunds is going to make 15 plus.

$15M is pushing it.. Even in a completely over exaggerated market Edmunds would get $12M at the most.. Edmunds is the Jadeveon Clowney of linebackers.. Think we can extend him at $10M/yr fairly easily..

I wonder if Milano doesn’t eventually take snaps from Taron Johnson/Marlowe/Neal as the big nickel and then let Edmunds and Klein be the other two LB’s. 

Then in the draft I’d look at Zaven Collins, LB from Tulsa, 6’5” 250 could be a perfect fit for the role that Lorenzo Alexander had here the past few years. 

Before this year, he’s missed 3 games in 3 previous seasons, 2 in 2018 and 1 in 2019.
I know he’s had some nagging things that he’s played through as well, but he’s played through them, which is a testament to his toughness IMO.

If he gets on the market I bet he’ll get $12M/yr from a team that has a lot of cap space (even with the reduced cap there will be a few of those). 

I believe the best thing would be a 3yr deal, with much of it incentive based (probably based on games played), with a cap hit of around $7M in 2021, then up to about $12M the last two seasons and also be something that can be gotten out of relatively easily (see John Brown contract).