The Art of Defending the Hail Mary

On 11/29/2020 at 8:09 PM, High Football IQ said:

Win aside, I don't feel this is getting enough attention.

It's completely unacceptable that after losing on the same play in Arizona (who BTW have lost 3 of 4 and only beat the Bills in that stretch) for the exact same thing to happen on a similar play after a bye week.

At what point does this coaching staff rip into the team and hold them accountable for such a lack of focus and discipline?

Be patient.  It’s a process.

On 11/29/2020 at 7:13 PM, Best Williams Available said:

Bottom line is the other teams chances of catching it are >>>>better if you are trying to catch it (holding it up in the air) versus spiking the damn thing down like volleyball. Just tell them to do the latter.

On the “Hail Murray’, which I’ve watched dozens of times now, White had his hand on the ball and it was starting to move down when Poyer came flying in and knocked him down. Hopkins then got control again.

• Like (+1) 1

The more I think about it the answer seems obvious on Hail Mary downs we should have the receiver we would use for our own Hail Mary to be on the field because it's just a contested catch and I like having an offensive minded player out there looking to catch the ball or knock it down. This would be an easy adjustment because they are already practicing it on the offense.

I can see it now...

Up 10 with a minute to go, 4th and 27, and Mcdermott brings in Stephon Diggs to defend the hail mary.  Chargers run a bunch of clear out verticals and dump the ball off to Ekler, who proceeds to weave his way up field.  Right at the sticks, he is met by Diggs...levels him and gains the first down.  Diggs needs to be helped off the field with an injury because he doesn't know how to tackle.

This board is bananas because they had a WR on the field in that situation.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-leslie-frazier-says-players-003823309.html

Bills’ Leslie Frazier says players from offense could be option vs. Hail Mary

The play left Buffalo defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, quite literally, was scratching his head during his weekly video conference on Monday.

“Believe me, I wish I knew,” Frazier said. “It’s a head-scratcher. The one yesterday, I just shake my head. We have a bunch of guys around the ball.”

While games rarely come down to such a play, Frazier said the team does practice such plays each and every week. One question some wonder is should the Bills put better personnel out there on the field in such circumstances? Such as players from offense?

On 11/30/2020 at 12:21 PM, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Getting struck by lightning in back to back weeks is more than just bad luck, it’s bad execution. The defensive backs need to get their asses chewed out. 

IMO, it's far more bad luck.

I mean, sure, you talk to them about it and you practice more, but the thing about Hail Marys is that they are only successful somewhere around 5% of the time. And sometimes a 5% chance will happen twice in a row, particularly when Arizona was throwing to maybe the best in-the-air ball winner in the league in Hopkins. With him there it's probably 10% or 15% instead of five.

I didn't see obvious bad execution on either play.

If the Bills want them to approach things differently then they should absolutely tell them about it, but how would that even be a question. Of course they would do that.

15 hours ago, Mikey152 said:

I can see it now...

Up 10 with a minute to go, 4th and 27, and Mcdermott brings in Stephon Diggs to defend the hail mary.  Chargers run a bunch of clear out verticals and dump the ball off to Ekler, who proceeds to weave his way up field.  Right at the sticks, he is met by Diggs...levels him and gains the first down.  Diggs needs to be helped off the field with an injury because he doesn't know how to tackle.

This board is bananas because they had a WR on the field in that situation.

Heh heh.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 12/1/2020 at 4:16 AM, ColeB said:

On the “Hail Murray’, which I’ve watched dozens of times now, White had his hand on the ball and it was starting to move down when Poyer came flying in and knocked him down. Hopkins then got control again.

Yeah but wasn’t white trying to catch it? He spikes it and maybe it goes forward and down vs back to Hopkins.