The Art of Defending the Hail Mary

Just now, wjag said:

The play before the catch.  Guyton pushed off and caught the ball.  Called in offensive PI.  But he did catch it.  So technically three, only two counted.

I forgot that.  On most hail marys there are typically a large  number of potential pass interference calls both on offensive and defense  which are rarely called..

13 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Noticed after the WR catch he spun off Tremaine Edmunds tackle. Crazy considering Edmunds was behind him and had a clean shot. 

55 minutes ago, SaratogaMike said:

My favorite part of that play was, after the catch, our 'star' MLB blowing a tackle attempt that almost allowed the score. Tremaine, stop trying to tackle people by their shoulders. Wrap your nine foot wingspan around waists and legs please.

Watching the replays I thought the exact same thing.   Edmunds loves to lunge/dive at guys when he could just smother them.  It’s how he hurt his shoulder week 1. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

As long as we are contributing to asinine threads, let’s just sign Manute Bol (7’7”).  He can stand there and get completely ducked out by Hopkins, or insert whatever top WR you want.  I get people upset about the Cardinals loss, but we had three of the top DB’s in the league all around Hopkins in White, Hyde, and Poyer.  If you want to make the argument to not have the fourth be the new guy, and put maybe Diggs in there as he is one of the best at contested catches, I get that as him knocking it down would be nothing.  Davis, a rookie I doubt would have a better outcome.

They had to defend as has been talked to death two plays.  Murray could have thrown 15 yards out and then had a safe pass on the second attempt with four seconds left.  The defensive coaching staff made the right call.  We had the, beat and the high hands won on a fluke play.  That’s it.  If any of you have played sports at a high level, the best team doesn’t always win.  Look at the Raiders, a far superior team to the Falcons.  They had their butts handed to them, but I would still take the Raiders 9 times out of 10.

• Haha (+1) 1

In basketball you don't stand there and wait for the ball to come to you. A shot goes up and you find a player and box him out. Nobody puts a body on the WR's they just stood there and waited for the ball to fall into their lap. Terrible technique. When the ball is in the air, get your elbow and put it in the WR's chest and box him out. As the ball comes down, high point it and knock it down into the ground. Don't try and catch it. Horrible defense and they clearly have not addressed this or practiced it, if so then yikes

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, High Football IQ said:

Win aside, I don't feel this is getting enough attention.

It's completely unacceptable that after losing on the same play in Arizona (who BTW have lost 3 of 4 and only beat the Bills in that stretch) for the exact same thing to happen on a similar play after a bye week.

At what point does this coaching staff rip into the team and hold them accountable for such a lack of focus and discipline?

I am just happy that everyone is ok. We can always get a new car. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, High Football IQ said:

Win aside, I don't feel this is getting enough attention.

It's completely unacceptable that after losing on the same play in Arizona (who BTW have lost 3 of 4 and only beat the Bills in that stretch) for the exact same thing to happen on a similar play after a bye week.

At what point does this coaching staff rip into the team and hold them accountable for such a lack of focus and discipline?

But you do accept it by continuing to following this team!

Your only true recourse is to sign off this site and follow another team that is aligned with your high football knowledge.

• Like (+1) 1

Is because teams now are not waiting until 3 to 5 seconds left in the game to try it both Arizona, had 11 seconds left and the Chargers had over a minute left to go and Bills gave up so much  underneath stuff a normal coach would have gotten into field goal range if they don't get to the end zone, kick the field goal and onside kick.

12 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Is because teams now are not waiting until 3 to 5 seconds left in the game to try it both Arizona, had 11 seconds left and the Chargers had over a minute left to go and Bills gave up so much  underneath stuff a normal coach would have gotten into field goal range if they don't get to the end zone, kick the field goal and onside kick.

It was 4th and 27.....I think the Bills D was well aware of what was coming in this situation.

A lot of people have mentioned that "proper" defensive technique for a Hail Mary is to knock the ball down and not even try to catch it.  That makes sense to me and seems like a good plan.  Assuming that is the best approach to defending, I would like to know why our players weren't more concerned with doing that.

It seems like a fundamental play that was executed incorrectly.

Reminds me of watching major league baseball players flying down the first base line for a close play on an infield ground ball....AND THEN DIVING HEAD FIRST AT THE BAG.

I see that now and again and it's just straight up wrong and bad technique.  Should never happen on a major league infield, and yet it does, routinely.  That's coaching! 

Diving for the bag may seem like a good idea to some base runners, but it will never be correct or the fastest way to the bag.  It's the coach's job to make sure his players don't do that sort of stupid stuff.

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

A lot of people have mentioned that "proper" defensive technique for a Hail Mary is to knock the ball down and not even try to catch it.  That makes sense to me and seems like a good plan.  Assuming that is the best approach to defending, I would like to know why our players weren't more concerned with doing that

Levi looked like the only one that played it right yesterday

On 11/29/2020 at 7:23 PM, clearwater cadet said:

The chargers WR dropped the ball on the long pass at the 2 yard line at the end of the game.  I don't know how that gets missed by league review/ booth review.

•  

Agreed, the Bills would have declined the penalty, taken possession and game was over. Instead they threw another Hail Mary and inexplicably completed it. Terrible officiating and should have been booth review under 2 mins.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

In basketball you don't stand there and wait for the ball to come to you. A shot goes up and you find a player and box him out. Nobody puts a body on the WR's they just stood there and waited for the ball to fall into their lap. Terrible technique. When the ball is in the air, get your elbow and put it in the WR's chest and box him out. As the ball comes down, high point it and knock it down into the ground. Don't try and catch it. Horrible defense and they clearly have not addressed this or practiced it, if so then yikes

You box out, you push and fight for position, you punch at the ball and make contact when it arrives. The Bills were way too passive both times, when you would have to do something egregious and obvious to get a penalty in those situations. Too soft, trying not to lose instead of stepping on their throat and taking away all hope. They need to find that killer instinct on both sides of the ball and quit playing not to lose. Instead of trying to hold on, just keep doing what got you the lead in the first place. When a team is down and needs to catch up, apply the pressure, don't go into a soft zone that lets him get rid of the ball quick for easy first downs.

10 hours ago, Jamie Mueller said:

At the end of the Cardinals game, I honestly thought that it was just incredible luck for Arizona that the play worked.  Yesterday, I really thought that a couple of the defenders were trying to grab the ball... instead of simply knocking it down.

At the end of the Arizona game we should’ve rushed from Hopkins side, not dive at Murray’s feet, and probably just used one arm to get higher on the pass block but otherwise, not a technique issue