The Art of Defending the Hail Mary

For two weeks in a row the Bills have failed to stop the Hail Mary.  Slightly different circumstances but you know where this is heading.  Does McDermott have a conversation with Frasier and do they practice for it or even discuss it in the defensive team meetings?  It cost us a win and nearly a second.  It just seems uncanny that the opposing receivers are getting the ball and Bills defenders cannot knock it away.   I'll be curious to see if McD is asked about it.

4 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

For two weeks in a row the Bills have failed to stop the Hail Mary.  Slightly different circumstances but you know where this is heading.  Does McDermott have a conversation with Frasier and do they practice for it or even discuss it in the defensive team meetings?  It cost us a win and nearly a second.  It just seems uncanny that the opposing receivers are getting the ball and Bills defenders cannot knock it away.   I'll be curious to see if McD is asked about it.

yes

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, PJBrown7 said:

They were in great position on both....I chalk it up to bad luck and not worried about it!

Getting struck by lightning in back to back weeks is more than just bad luck, it’s bad execution. The defensive backs need to get their asses chewed out. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

I’m so pissed that we lost today. 

I’m typically as optimistic as you can be and I’m totally fine with the win today, but this is a Bills message board and this topic is a legitimate question. I know it’s a “flukey” play but you’d think after the last game this team would never have that happen again. Hopefully they’re all just getting it out of the system before playoffs...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Win aside, I don't feel this is getting enough attention.

It's completely unacceptable that after losing on the same play in Arizona (who BTW have lost 3 of 4 and only beat the Bills in that stretch) for the exact same thing to happen on a similar play after a bye week.

At what point does this coaching staff rip into the team and hold them accountable for such a lack of focus and discipline?

They were waiting to hear from "high football IQ" for them to wake up and talk about it.  Surely they had no conversation at all after the Arizona game or during the bye week.  Thanks for getting their attention.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

This time there were 4 or 5 players around the ball instead of 3...maybe they should get 9 or 10 back there??

• Haha (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Not today but almost 2 weeks in a row. It's just mind boggling that this team has no clue how to defend it. 

The Bills did not almost lose today. In fact they won by double digits.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Bills did not almost lose today. In fact they won by double digits.

I assume the odds of completing a Hail Mary are relatively low (3-5%?) and you are not concerned in the slightest that your team is 100% 2 weeks in a row? 

1 minute ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I assume the odds of completing a Hail Mary are relatively low (3-5%?) and you are not concerned in the slightest that your team is 100% 2 weeks in a row? 

No, not especially. I'm not going to lose sleep over two individual throws.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

If you count the catch that was called back based on the offensive pass interference call, isn't that 4 Hail Mary completions in 2 games? I can't remember ... is it 4 for 4, or was one broken up in between?

Ordinarily I would say that's just dumb luck, but I can't recall a run of bad luck quite like this ... something must be wrong here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Why not put the tallest players out there to defend it Edmonds 6'6" instead of 5'10 White etc?? All they have to do is stand there and knock it away not rocket science. 

Put in tall WRs to defend it they know how to catch and/or knock down the ball - it's not like they have to cover someone - they have to stand around the goal line and get to the ball.
I remember the Pats putting Moss in as DB to defend last second desperation throws

• Like (+1) 1