A Few Thoughts About the Chargers Game, in no particular order

Virgil

"Mayock knew there he was something special, thank God the Browns and Jets didnt.  Its been awesome to watch him mature and play with heart out there. Funny to read about his crazy audibles and reference to Farvre.  Hes alot younger than me and, I dont remember Farvre in his prime that well.  Dude stays in the filmroom!"

If you think about all those teams, Cleveland 2x, NY Giants, NY Jets, Broncos, Colts who drafted before number seven. They all would have gone for Allen if they knew then, what they know now. Stating that there would have been even more teams after Allen. 

The thing is that Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield played at big name schools and were deemed more NFL starting ready. Allen was so raw out of college that he should have sat out his first season like Mahomes did and some teams didn't want to wait. 

Now go back and think about Josh Allen and his first season in Buffalo. Horrific offensive line, no real QB coach, no veteran QB to learn the ropes from at the start of the season. The current offensive brain trust thought that Nathan Peterman should start over Allen after they cut QB AJ McCarron. Amazing that he survived that first season in my view. Darnold had it better.

From his first carry it was obvious the Chargers D was told to try to rip the ball out of Singeltary's hands - they were going after it every single time.  After a while I figured he knew that was their plan so if anything it would have him focus even more on protecting it.  That was a bad fumble.

On Josh's int, he got hit just as he let go of the ball - Diggs was behind the coverage and open.  It wasn't a bad decision or terrible pass - just one of those things that happen.

We are the worst Hail Mary defense in the league.  Seriously though - after two games in a row the defense has to start thinking about how they are defending (or not defending) it.

The PF on Moss was absolutely one of the most mystifying calls I've ever seen.  At least on Josh's, he looked the defender in the eye before and after spinning it.  All I saw Moss do was get up and toss the ball behind his back - never looked or said anything to anyone. That was crazy.

Klein can make plays as long as he is only asked to run stright ahead in a straight line 

Still undefeated at 1:00 - too bad we have all these prime time games coming up 😛 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Yea 202. Time went backwards.  :D

See what I mean!!  202 all hell broke loose!!!

28 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Whoa whoa whoa...since when is a beard unprofessional? That's some outdated thinking right there. 

The ref and his crew were definitely awful, but I must take umbrage at the prescriptive and close-minded beard theory of professionalism. Dragging a razor across one's face does not have any bearing on diligence and integrity.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

I am sure your beard is MORE than professional. 🙃  I am just saying - seriously when was the LAST time you saw an official with facial hair?  I have yet to see, except for yesterday a hirsute NFL official!!

Edited by Kwai San
  • Like (+1) 1

Re: the officiating, wasn't happy with it but it was a chippy game from the jump yesterday, Chargers' defenders were throwing elbows to helmets at the end of each tackle, etc., and I suspect the officials told both sides to take it down a notch.  The Bills didn't get that memo and were penalized.  Need to do a better job of reading the room.

10 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

See what I mean!!  202 all hell broke loose!!!

I am sure your beard is MORE than professional. 🙃  I am just saying - seriously when was the LAST time you saw an official with facial hair?  I have yet to see, except for yesterday an hirsute NFL official!!

I am nonplussed by this bearded trailblazer's miserable performance yesterday. Helps people, like your partner (no offense), perpetuate stale stereotypes about facial hair...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

I am nonplussed by this bearded trailblazer's miserable performance yesterday. Helps people, like your partner (no offense), perpetuate stale stereotypes about facial hair...

Yeah sadly she has more than a few stale stereotypes!!!!  😜  But I am a lucky guy so I put up with her. 😍

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

You know what you have to do.

Stop shaving. For months. Do it.

I have had the goatee before, for quite awhile at that - my problem now is I would look like a calico cat....dark brown, light brown and grey hairs....a veritable mish mash of follicles!

It is interesting because the Bills said after the loss to the Texans they wanted to find ways to close better and part of the reason they got Diggs was to add that explosive element, yet much this season has been playing with fire at points. That said the game to me was never in doubt once they went up 24-6 and I was fine with that. The offense looked good at times and other times like it couldn't kick into gear. I wonder if part of that is because they were trying to get the run game going which it did by the end.

My biggest issue yesterday was Dabolls play calling at times. This season I have felt he has done an excellent job of maxmizing down and distance with good creative calls, yet whether it be penalties, mistakes, etc.. things happened like Allen losing yards on a QB sweep to the side. I know Bosa came in off a missed block, but with how well they have passed to Diggs or Beasley on 3rd and short it was kinda mind blowing they didn't call a quick pass there.

Virg, on you’re sleepless day, you’re still better than 95% of the guys on the board.  Now take some Tylenol PM, get some rest, and we’ll look forward to post SF in no particular order.

Thanks for the review.  FWIW, don’t sell the Chargers short.  They haven’t lost by 10 all year.  They were beating the Bucs until the end, almost beat the Chiefs, and played tough all year.  We didn’t lose the lead by memory the who game.  I’m proud of our guys. Here’s to 9-3 next week.

As far as Milano and Klein, if. Milano is healthy, we could actually play a base defense for once.  Klein is a solid Strong side, Edmunds has made strides at the Mic, and Milano is excellent at the Wil.  This means we may not have to do nickel all the time.  That’s a good thing against the run.  Good time for that with SF coming up.

13 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

re: #8, I can only assume the refs got the number wrong.  A DB blitzing (White?) hit the QB low, which I believe constitutes roughing the passer.  Though technically not a wrong call IMO, it was dubious as the QB was running away as he went low.

Tre's hit was not legal and was right to have been called, defenders cant go for QBs legs, period, those will be called almost every time.

34 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Tre's hit was not legal and was right to have been called, defenders cant go for QBs legs, period, those will be called almost every time.

When the QB leaves the pocket, you can tackle him low, AND, the penalty was on Oliver for a late hit, not White.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

When the QB leaves the pocket, you can tackle him low, AND, the penalty was on Oliver for a late hit, not White.

Hitting Too Low

One of the NFL's newer rules is often called "The Brady Rule" as it was added after a season-ending injury to New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in 2008. This rules states that a defensive player who hits a quarterback below the knees when one or two feet are on the ground will be penalized for a personal foul and a 15-yard penalty. The hit must be above the knee to be legal. This penalty is often called on pass rushers who are blocked to the ground, but they continue to scramble toward quarterback and end up hitting him below the knee, exposing him to serious injury.

When I saw the Tre play i thought for sure he was going to get flagged, I didnt see any Oliver infraction, think that was a ref mis speaking.

8 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Hitting Too Low

One of the NFL's newer rules is often called "The Brady Rule" as it was added after a season-ending injury to New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in 2008. This rules states that a defensive player who hits a quarterback below the knees when one or two feet are on the ground will be penalized for a personal foul and a 15-yard penalty. The hit must be above the knee to be legal. This penalty is often called on pass rushers who are blocked to the ground, but they continue to scramble toward quarterback and end up hitting him below the knee, exposing him to serious injury.

When I saw the Tre play i thought for sure he was going to get flagged, I didnt see any Oliver infraction, think that was a ref mis speaking.

When the QB leaves the pocket he loses the protection against low hits.

Additionally the rule is against "hits", i.e. forcible contact.

It's actually written in there that you can still tackle a QB low. You just can't hit him low when he's in the pocket.

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

When the QB leaves the pocket he loses the protection against low hits.

Additionally the rule is against "hits", i.e. forcible contact.

It's actually written in there that you can still tackle a QB low. You just can't hit him low when he's in the pocket.

Disagree.  Show me where "it is written".  

"Any physical acts against a player who is in a passing posture (i.e. before, during, or after a pass) which, in the Referee’s judgment, are unwarranted by the circumstances of the play will be called as fouls."

"A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him."

Says NOTHING about being in the pocket.  

13 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Disagree.  Show me where "it is written".  

"Any physical acts against a player who is in a passing posture (i.e. before, during, or after a pass) which, in the Referee’s judgment, are unwarranted by the circumstances of the play will be called as fouls."

"A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him."

Says NOTHING about being in the pocket.  

Actually it says SOMETHING about being in the pocket.

You got to love people who not only insist on being wrong, but can't even do their own homework and demand others do it for them.

From the official NFL rulebook:

When the passer goes outside the pocket area and either continues moving with the ball (without attempting to advance the ball as a runner) or throws while on the run, he loses the protection of the one-step rule provided for in (a) above, and the protection against a low hit provided for in (d) above

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Simon said:

Actually it says SOMETHING about being in the pocket.

ou got to love people who not only insist on being wrong, but can't even do their own homework and demand others do it for them.Y

From the official NFL rulebook:

When the passer goes outside the pocket area and either continues moving with the ball (without attempting to advance the ball as a runner) or throws while on the run, he loses the protection of the one-step rule provided for in (a) above, and the protection against a low hit provided for in (d) above

You have to love people that have an apparent need to declare themsleves "victor" in an anonymour meaningless chatroom.  "You got to love people who not only insist on being wrong, but can't even do their own homework and demand others do it for them."

I stand by what I quoted, and says nothing about being in/out of the pcoket

"

Any physical acts against a player who is in a passing posture (i.e. before, during, or after a pass) which, in the Referee’s judgment, are unwarranted by the circumstances of the play will be called as fouls.  A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee"

By your logic anytime a QB moves outside the pcoket and then sets up to throw a pass defenders can take them out at the knees.  If that were true half the QBs would be on IR by now.  You dont take out QBs knees unless you want to risk a penalty, they will call that everytime.  Disagree if you want, fine by me.

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

I stand by what I quoted, and says nothing about being in/out of the pcoket

No, it says nothing at all about the pocket:

When the passer goes outside the pocket area and either continues moving with the ball (without attempting to advance the ball as a runner) or throws while on the run, he loses the protection of the one-step rule provided for in (a) above, and the protection against a low hit provided for in (d) above

You go ahead and stand by your opinion; it clearly carries more weight than the actual NFL rulebook :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Virgil said:

3 - Bosa - It was hard to watch this kid destroy his blocks and not wonder "what if" he were on the Bills.  His disruptive play was almost unfair to our unsuspecting innocent line and he was a terror on Josh too.  We can talk about win rates all we want, but Bosa was the kind of difference everyone wants on their team, and it was obvious all game.  For the offensive line, who had a rough day at times, you just have to tip your cap to the defensive line effort and move on.

6 - Receivers - I'm curious to know if the game plan was setup this way, or if the Chargers just took them away from us, but our receivers were never really involved in the game during the first half.  Granted, if you want to count the PI as a passing gain, there was those yards, but there was little else.  Daboll clearly made Diggs a focus coming out of the half, but with Beasley also quiet, Davis ended up being the best receiver on the field.  He did a great job selling the block on the Beasley TD and made a great high-point catch on the deep ball from Josh.  But overall, really pedestrian day for the receivers and passing game today. 

Go Bills!!!!!

#3 shows me that the Buffalo offensive line is not good enough for playoff primetime. While the Bills have some decent depth on that line which is very difficult to do at times. (Buffalo gave up Wyatt Teller to the Browns and he is doing very well in Cleveland as the #8 block win rate as an OG)

It was #60 who whiffed on that Bosa block which caught Allen attempting a designed QB sweep run on third and two. The announcers stated that it was the receiver who missed the block, but #60 ran right by him. Bosa is a beast, is #3 in the NFL in pass rush win rate.

Which leads me to think that perhaps the Bills were limiting the passing attempts because of that Chargers pass rush?

Another thought was the Bills were determined to work that run game in knowing that winter is coming and the Bills need to get that #27 in rush yards working. Perhaps the Bills don't want to show their passing offense to the Steelers who they play after the 49ers next week? I do believe that opposing teams usually only get the last three games to review film on.

Anyway, it makes me wonder why the Bills don't target Cole Beasley more often in some games. With an 80% catch percentage the Bills only targeted him 4x against the Chargers with 2 receptions. Diggs was targeted 9 times for 7 receptions.

Strange game for Buffalo passing on such a good weather day. 

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

No, it says nothing at all about the pocket:

When the passer goes outside the pocket area and either continues moving with the ball (without attempting to advance the ball as a runner) or throws while on the run, he loses the protection of the one-step rule provided for in (a) above, and the protection against a low hit provided for in (d) above

You go ahead and stand by your opinion; it clearly carries more weight than the actual NFL rulebook :lol:

Do you want to keep beating a dead horse about it?   Already stated my position, if you cant comprehend it fine by me.