Let’s consider permanently replacing Milano with Klein.

M. Wrotto

How about we make a radical move and even play football with 3 linebackers on the field?!?

Given that milano can cover, we could even do it vs 3 wrs sometimes!

I get we have had injuries and that we played a ton of nickel last year, but how do we never have 3lbs?  

Our base 4-2-5 is weak to the run up the gut, but that is due to lb injuries and bad dt play, it has also gotten eaten by screens and sweeps, which is just bad tackling and block shedding.  Having an lb around the ball making teams adjust blocking and two others who can rush can give the o fits.  We may just invent a wacky balanced d call d the 4-3!

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

No. Klein is too slow. He'll have a good game once in a while, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

He looked a lot faster yesterday. He did whiff on a few plays, but his good plays outweighed the bad ones by a good margin. I've been impressed with Klein the past few weeks. If we could get him, Milano and Edmunds together, I think we'd be ok.

• Like (+1) 1

We are seeing AJ Klein is a damned good football player. He never played the WIL before this year. Give the man some credit. After clearly having to adjust to a new position, he has been lights out.

I feel good that he is on this team.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

Wait? Wasn’t Klein our worst free agent signing in history? I read that here somewhere. 

Have you watched him in space or trying to cover?? The last 3 games they have let him blitz which seems to be his strong suit, they were trying to square peg round hole him for whatever reason. He’s starting to round into a solid player. 

Klein doesn’t replace Milano, he replaces Edmunds.. Seemed to me that Klein got quite a few snaps at MLB and Edmunds filled in at Milano’s spot.. I thought Klein did a good job.. If he were a step or two faster he’d be an elite player.. Yes, he is slow but he has very good instincts, he’s strong against the run and he’s a very good blitzer.. Klein is only making $6M/yr, which is the entry level price for a starting caliber player.. He is probably our only LB that plays the run well.. Edmunds did see some snaps at Mike as well but Klein got quite a few snaps there also.. So in 3rd & 1 and 4th & 1 situations, Klein is a great piece to have on this defense.. In obvious running situations, especially when our defense has an idea which side the offense is going to run to, you put Klein there.. Change up the Mike and SLB depending on what the offense is going to do.. 

It comes down to Edmunds vs Milano.. Edmunds is seemingly being pushed into Milano’s role.. Some folks are saying that Milano will make up to $14M/yr in free agency and in my mind you have to let him go if that’s the case.. Edmunds is far more talented, more size, better pass rushing potential, length and athletic ability and durability..Think you let Milano go, you draft another solid LB RDS 2-3 and you audition Edmunds at OLB over the next 5 games.. depending how well he does you either pick up or decline his 5th year option.. I think Edmunds will make about $10M in 2022 if we pick up his 5th year option.. that’s anywhere from $2M to $4M less than Milano’s projected contract.. Milano is also undersized and seems to get hurt a lot.. And with Edmunds size and length, he’s better suited at covering some of the bigger TEs in the league..

Basically if it were me, I’d pick up Edmunds 5th year option, he goes to Milano’s old spot... you keep Klein, he’s serviceable and his contract is dirt cheap and you draft another LB or sign another one in free agency.. Not rocket science.. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I lile to call this the red zone channel effect, now a days people pay attention to the ending of drives and not much in between

Aj klien has made some big plays in recent weeks, but a lot of people only see the big plays he makes and not the consistent 10 to 15 yards he gives up in pass defense when he is in coverage

Aj klien is a very useful player but needs to be used heavily as a pass rusher. Him in coverage or space is not what you want as a bills fan

• Like (+1) 1

Nice thought, but not really a good idea in application. The way they are using Klein at present appears to be working well, maybe we shouldn’t screw around with that, just sayin... 

Go Bills!!!