Impact of Bad Coaching on Good Talent

I've always felt that coaches largely get too much blame for things not working out in any given season (although there are lots of coaches who I'm sure deserve it.)

Watching Matt Patricia pretty much run out Matt Stafford's good remaining years, along with the Falcons, Jets, Chargers and Cowboys to some extent all pretty much failing miserably with lots of talent (and especially talent at the QB position) really highlights how much value good coaches (and good coaching staffs) can have.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I think Lynn showed that today, extremely talented chargers team with a bad record. 

His in game decisions and time management were baffling. I understand his S/T's are bad and might've given him pause but c'mon Lynn. He'll be out at seasons end. They need someone who can develop Herbert and he's not it. He was gonna start Tyrod over this budding star. Again,.....baffling.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, cDAVIS said:

The NFL will always be all coaching. Everyone is a world class athlete. That's why belicheat wins no matter who he has

He’s a very good HC, an exceptional DC, and a lousy GM. Check his  record, post Tommy as well as pre-Tommy. He’s won I think 43% without Brady.  

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

What I don't get is coaches who make mind-numbingly stupid decisions like how the Chargers ran it on the 2 yard line with 20 seconds left and no timeouts needing two scores.  Like, 1,000 out of 1,000 casual fans knew that was wrong.  How does it happen?

Hes going to have some explaining to do to the owners. When the broadcasters are calling out your ineptitude 20% of the game, your job may not be that safe. Unreal, although I did like how he tried arguing with the refs after his dumb decisions. Like they were somehow at fault.

21 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

How many excuses does Matt Stafford get? Is he really that great? He's failed under multiple coaching staffs. Gimme a break with this guy. He's okay, but not some kind of misplaced Hof'er.

Stafford is at best a wild card loss qb. Won’t take you over the top, Lions  did him no favours but they had a chance to draft a replacement last season. I don’t think they make the same mistake this year. 

25 minutes ago, cDAVIS said:

The NFL will always be all coaching. Everyone is a world class athlete. That's why belicheat wins no matter who he has

Not this year he doesn’t, 

26 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I've always felt that coaches largely get too much blame for things not working out in any given season (although there are lots of coaches who I'm sure deserve it.)

Watching Matt Patricia pretty much run out Matt Stafford's good remaining years, along with the Falcons, Jets, Chargers and Cowboys to some extent all pretty much failing miserably with lots of talent (and especially talent at the QB position) really highlights how much value good coaches (and good coaching staffs) can have.

Agreed although the Cowboys don’t have Dak before that they where falling into double digit deficits every game and as the game on Thanksgiving against Washington maybe one of the worst coached games I’ve ever seen 

24 minutes ago, Beast said:

Matt Patricia shouldn’t be blamed. The Ford family has had that franchise screwed up for over half a century. 

MP has been bad as a HC from day one, he has never had buy in from the players, not for a minute. Look at the Bills, with marginal talent they wiggle into the playoffs in SMs first year, MP doesn’t have that capacity if it was his team. He is system coach, and without the system he has gone nowhere. 

4 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Agreed although the Cowboys don’t have Dak before that they where falling into double digit deficits every game and as the game on Thanksgiving against Washington maybe one of the worst coached games I’ve ever seen 

Dallas  didn’t have much success with Dak pre injury this season, 1-3 iirc, or last season for that matter. If Dak wants success he needs to get out of Dallas imo. 

39 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I think Lynn showed that today, extremely talented chargers team with a bad record. 

Anthony Lynn is 8-19 since last season. Adam Gase is 7-20. Let that sink in for a moment. There is no reason in the world the Chargers should only be 1 win better than the Jets since last season. The talent difference between the two teams is immense.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 5

I think good coaching is something you can see when you watch a team play consistently. Coaches also have to be judged in the context of team health, QB play and random variance. No one likes to look at random variance, though.

Fans also tend to get spoiled looking for great and sometimes that causes teams to replace good coaches, like the Lions did with Caldwell and what the Cowboys did with Garrett.

With Buffalo, you can tell it's well-coached. Contrast today with the Seattle game. In Seattle, Buffalo clearly saw on film that their receivers were better than Seattle's DBs and slung the ball.

Today, they played a team with an excellent young QB and an aggressive d line, so on offense they decided that using misdirection to slow them down and set up a more traditional run game. Ultimately, they held Herbert to his lowest point total in 10 weeks and got 20 carries for 130 yards from the backs. Some bad variance made that game closer than we wanted and they'll do some ball security drills during the week, but they had the highest scoring margin against LA all season.

In LA's case, they're the bad random variance team this year like Dallas was last year and probably improve if you give that another year, even though Lynn had a bad day at the office today. The development of Herbert into the best rookie QB earns him some keep IMO.

BB, Flores and Joe Judge are doing good coaching jobs and ultimately are limited by where their QBs are. Another good coaching job is Chicago. Flores has a couple more wins than the others. I also think Nagy is doing okay too, but you can't hide bad QB play in the NFL today.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Anthony Lynn is 8-19 since last season. Adam Gase is 7-20. Let that sink in for a moment. There is no reason in the world the Chargers should only be 1 win better than the Jets since last season. The talent difference between the two teams is immense.

First year he had to deal with the move to LA.  Then they were playing in a soccer stadium with more opponents fans than their own.  Rivers was a train wreck last year.  I'm not trying to say Lynn is even a good coach but he has had some obstacles to deal with. Gase has been terrible everywhere he has gone and he had some weapons to work with in NY last year.  

• Like (+1) 1