Ed Oliver...coming into his own.

Hebert19

Just now, Hebert19 said:

He was unblockable out there sometimes.  He is getting a lot more flash plays the last few weeks.  He's part of the reason we have been able to get the pressure we have on the edges and blitzing.  There is no pocket to step up into. 

Yea he obviously made a couple of dumb mistakes today but overall this was his best game in a number of weeks. He was causing problems even when doubled today. 

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea he obviously made a couple of dumb mistakes today but overall this was his best game in a number of weeks. He was causing problems even when doubled today. 

I don't think the roughing thr passer was a good call. By the rulebook anyway. No head or neck, outside pocket. He barely even landed on him.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Philo said:

Put a true 1 tech beside him next year and it's game on. 

Even just a legitimate NFL player would be a huge upgrade at this point.

He's literally the only DT on this roster that should be taking regular snaps at this level.

Unfortunately, with McDermott's insistence on a constant rotation, I don't expect the Bills to find a good partner for him because they seem inclined to devalue what I think is the most important position on the defense.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

He's literally the only DT on this roster that should be taking regular snaps at this level..

Agree. I don't think Ed is good as the 1 tech when they use him there but even Ed as the 1 tech would be an upgrade on what is at the 1 tech when Ed is at the 3..... 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YattaOkasan said:

Cover 1 dudes thought epenesa played his best Game yet. I saw a really good play on TFL. Wondering if anyone’s else noticed. 

also agree Ed had a good game (great if not for the penalty)

I thought ppl will talk about him a bit more after today. He looked to have a good game. 

22 minutes ago, Simon said:

Even just a legitimate NFL player would be a huge upgrade at this point.

He's literally the only DT on this roster that should be taking regular snaps at this level.

Unfortunately, with McDermott's insistence on a constant rotation, I don't expect the Bills to find a good partner for him because they seem inclined to devalue what I think is the most important position on the defense.

I think that is fair. Probably wishful thinking to hope that if they find a solid 1T (Star or otherwise) that they don't continuously rotate them around. Just please keep Ed in the position he plays best even if they insist on rotating the other pieces.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

he hit him in the chest!! 

I thought White actually should have been flagged for it. He went low which is also a penalty. Not sure why they called it on Oliver.

Just now, MDH said:

I thought White actually should have been flagged for it. He went low which is also a penalty. Not sure why they called it on Oliver.

I agree. I guess Gannon said that Hebert was out of the pocket and so White was able to hit him low. I didn’t realize that was the rule.

BTW, I would be really Mad as a chargers’ fan. Hebert took at least three shots to the knees today. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Cover 1 dudes thought epenesa played his best Game yet. I saw a really good play on TFL. Wondering if anyone’s else noticed. 

I remember thinking he was making an impact. Solely responsible for one run stuff and then made a different hit to trip up a back behind the line one other time that somebody else cleaned up. Also had a nice pressure on a third down incompletion 

6 minutes ago, MDH said:

Once the QB bails out of the pocket he no longer has protection with that low tackle rule.

I never saw a replay on the actual penalty against Oliver and considering what else went on out there today, I am not giving any stripes the benefit of the doubt after that brutal performance.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Epenesa had a few nice plays today and was noticeable in the backfield

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I thought I saw a play where he came around and caught a guy on the other side.

26 minutes ago, Simon said:

Once the QB bails out of the pocket he no longer has protection with that low tackle rule.

I never saw a replay on the actual penalty against Oliver and considering what else went on out there today, I am not giving any stripes the benefit of the doubt after that brutal performance.

Yes that is why White tackle was ok.  Oliver blasted Herbert in a high low combo hit with White.  It was a violent collision.  Like it or not they are going to throw the flag more often than not when that happens.  If the same hit happens to Allen this board would be screaming for roughing.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yes that is why White tackle was ok.  Oliver blasted Herbert in a high low combo hit with White.  It was a violent collision.  Like it or not they are going to throw the flag more often than not when that happens.  If the same hit happens to Allen this board would be screaming for roughing.  

That last criteria was why I was ok with it. Thought it was on Tre at first and wasn’t happy but I wouldn’t want that hit on josh not called. The moss and Allen fouls were just so silly though.