Officiating across the league is god awful

Brennan Huff

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

The league does not care at all. Its been very obvious for many years now that the zebras both do not know the rules or how they are Intended to be implemented, hell, the guys on this board have a far better handle on this than the refs do, it’s really quite pathetic, as we all know. 

Maybe we all start sending emails to the league office ten or twelve times a day for a month or two expressing our displeasure, it would be fun to do ya know, 😁

What is needed is a show highlighting bad calls each week.   Call it "Three Blind Zebras".

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

You obviously don’t know what your talking about, the announcer confirmed the call, he used forcible contact going back against the run of the play, just because the player noticed him at the last second doesn’t mean he didn’t start outside the field of vision, same as an offensive player can’t do it going back towards the line of scrimmage. He could have stood in his path, he can’t initiate contact. Doesn’t matter who talked about it, it was a classic example of what you can’t do...Yahoo Sports LOL

The rule as written says that if a player executes a block while moving toward his own goal line, it's a penalty.  I had no problem with the call because Gabe was paying back the Bolt for hitting Josh while sliding.  Should have been offsetting, but the ref didn't call the hit on Josh.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

That personal foul call against Moss was baffling. The Browns and Patriots also had some mind blowingly bad calls against them. When do these refs start to get held responsible for terrible officiating? Or does the league not care? 

yesterday was worse than normal

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

You obviously haven’t watched the play.....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/patriots-punt-return-td-called-210957893.html

When you watch the block happen, the defender actually had time to brace for the hit, which doesn’t make it a “blindside” block. The play has been talked about a lot, so as far as me being “clueless” then I guess there’s a lot of other people in the sports world are as well...

As the rule is written, this was the correct call. The blocker was facing the opposing team's goal line. It doesn't matter if the player sees him or not. If the blocker just stood there, it wouldn't be a penalty.  But he bent his body in a blocking position and made the block. Good call by the ref. OMG! I can't believe I said that!🙂

• Like (+1) 2

A year in the life of a football fan:

March: Miss football.

April: Miss football.

May: Miss football.

June: Miss football.

July: Miss football.

August: Look forward to football.

September - January: Complain about football with a special emphasis on officiating.

February: Miss football.

7 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

As the rule is written, this was the correct call. The blocker was facing the opposing team's goal line. It doesn't matter if the player sees him or not. If the blocker just stood there, it wouldn't be a penalty.  But he bent his body in a blocking position and made the block. Good call by the ref. OMG! I can't believe I said that!🙂

It’s a terrible rule

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

What is needed is a show highlighting bad calls each week.   Call it "Three Blind Zebras".

You know, if someone did such a show, kinda like the Josh Allen “ five minutes of drops” video, add in the “ is this games in the fix” ’angle,  the embarrassment factor might just have an effect. Also send a copy to GMFB and every other sports outlet and do a  YouTube channel, it just might force the leagues hand to fire a bunch of these hacks. Oh, and do four such shows each season, one for each quarter of the season. It would show what a farce the league office has turned into. 

Social embarrassment can be a powerful tool.

• Like (+1) 1

As I said in another thread IMO the reason for the bad officiating is due to the refs being game managers. Its a problem across all leagues, they are so focused on parity they do whatever it takes to keep games close. IMO it has ruined sports as a whole. All parity has done is make every team mediocre. No team stands out and all to make all fans happy. 

The personal foul stuff was particulaly bad, for Moss and Davis. I just refuse to believe either of those were fouls.

While it looked innocuous, Allen's was a fair call - he definitely knew what he was doing, but probably thought he'll get away with it. He needs to not do that again.

Oliver's was just a typical weak call, but if they call the same for both sides, you can live with it. It was possibly a fraction late, but it's a call you see often around the league. We have benefitted from the same type of call in the past, although Allen seems less likely to get those, for some reason.

I thought they missed quite a few things yesterday, but some of it might be due to a lack of interest from Zebra Central. As someone pointed out earlier, the push off wasn't going to be given by the one zebra, but he was bailed out by another. Iirc, Gannon immediately said that he's pushed off.

I have to agree with the OP, that the standard of officiating is poor, league-wide. I think it will gradually improve, we have got rid of some of the dinosaurs this year, and the move to more full time refs, is long overdue. The issue I have with the approach the NFL seems to be having, is that it's like a slow boat to china. Imho, it's going to take a long time to happen, and it might be so slow as to be almost unnoticeable.

18 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How often are you fines or your paycheck is docked for not being 100% perfect at your job?

Are unions a new thing to you or something?

This is a pretty stupid statement.

it’d have to be pretty egregious, intentional, and repetitive behavior to warrant a fine/suspension. People make mistakes. Replay reviews that get it wrong like the Kroft INT or rules selectively enforced like the wildcard game in Houston bother me way more than missing a call in real time. Still don’t get how they missed the helmet to helmet on Allen when they called the incomplete pass a fumble, prior to the overturning on replay. I get that they can’t call it based on the review, but it seemed clear to me in real time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Back the Blue said:

For all who believe that full-time officials are the answer, look to the NHL and even the NBA and MLB.  Officials/Refs/Umpires still make mistakes.  It's part of the game.

Its not all part of the game. Its also comes from the league in telling the refs to be game managers. Call the game to keep it close.

• Haha (+1) 1

To me, making them fulltime and having them work year-round isnt about trying to get them 100% perfect and never miss a call.

It's about getting them all on the same page, and making consistently the same calls.

Two different crews can call the same game, heck even 1 single play, totally differently. Even worse, the same crew can call the same play two different ways in the same game! And that is the problem.

Get the refs all on the same page on how they should be doing their jobs. Have them spend time with teams, informing them how they will be doing their jobs, and you'd have far less issues.

Edited by DrDawkinstein