Jags fire Dave Caldwell

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

St. Francis has (or had) a couple GM's in the league (Caldwell, Telesco), and let's not forget Daboll.  I think Taskers or Polians might be somewhere as well, not sure.

I used to work the gate with my friend back when I would come in for Bills games in the days when Tasker & AJ Smith had sons playing there.  I once met AJ at the gate & he showed me an AFC championship ring he was wearing.  One time my friend got Tasker to autograph his book for me. 

Here's a story on AJ: My friend had a mild heart attack when AJ was GM of the Chargers & AJ sent him a get well letter from his Chargers office.  

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, delirious said:

I can see one of our FO personnel to get poached. Either Dan Morgan or Joe Schein or even Brian Gaine.

I would even expect Daboll to poach one of them if he gets the opportunity to be a HC 

I think the Texans are going to contact Brian Gaine and say "We made a mistake, please come back."  He was well liked by Texans' players.

47 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I used to work the gate with my friend back when I would come in for Bills games in the days when Tasker & AJ Smith had sons playing there.  I once met AJ at the gate & he showed me an AFC championship ring he was wearing.  One time my friend got Tasker to autograph his book for me. 

Here's a story on AJ: My friend had a mild heart attack when AJ was GM of the Chargers & AJ sent him a get well letter from his Chargers office.  

Yes, I checked, Chris Polian (former GM) went to St. Francis with Caldwell.  Luke Tasker is CFL WR.  Weird to have 3 GMs from high school.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Yet Marrone is still their HC. Good move, Shad!

Shad made a “Ralph Wilson-like” decision and kept Marrone and Caldwell in place in the name of “continuity.”  It seemed pretty obvious to me that these two should have been fired after last season. This was a huge mistake and both had to know they were goners this season barring a miracle.  

It always baffled me how Caldwell especially stayed in place.  He whiffed on drafting two franchise QB’s and still survived for years.  The AFC Championship run seemed to earn him

and Marrone a lot of goodwill. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

When your two HC hires are Gus Bradley and Doug Marrone it is something of a miracle it lasted 8 seasons.

Picking Leonard Fournette over Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson didn’t help, either...

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Shad made a “Ralph Wilson-like” decision and kept Marrone and Caldwell in place in the name of “continuity.”  It seemed pretty obvious to me that these two should have been fired after last season. This was a huge mistake and both had to know they were goners this season barring a miracle.  

It always baffled me how Caldwell especially stayed in place.  He whiffed on drafting two franchise QB’s and still survived for years.  The AFC Championship run seemed to earn him

and Marrone a lot of goodwill. 

Looks that way.  If I were Shad, I'd fire Marrone, promote a patsy to get them to tank and as close to the 1st overall pick as possible.  The guys they have aren't it.

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Don't call me Shirley.

Well foolish was already taken.

Marrone is a horrible coach that blames everyone but himself. Quit on the Bills because he wasn't going to be able to manipulate the GM anymore, set Syracuse up for failure because he hated recruiting, he is a franchise killer and a cancer in the locker room.

4 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

St. Francis has (or had) a couple GM's in the league (Caldwell, Telesco), and let's not forget Daboll.  I think Taskers or Polians might be somewhere as well, not sure.

Chris Polian was the GM of the colts several years ago (Caldwell actually worked for him) but was fired, then was In the FO of the jags working for Caldwell for several years and was fired in January. Brian is the ST coordinator at Notre Dame. He was the the HC at Nevada for a few years but was fired and went back to ND. They both went to St Francis.  There is another brother who went to canisius, Dennis. He worked for the Vikings for awhile but now in the athletic dept at Arizona. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Marrone is a dead man walking. New GM will want his coach.

I’ll believe it when I see it.  Coordinators get fired.  Coughlin got sent packing, yet Saint Doug is still standing.  His record of never having been fired still stands.  Maybe he’ll resign to keep that going.