Week 12 Post Game thread Bills vs Chargers

Chandler#81

18 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Following your previous posts logic it's funny how you choose to minimize the previous 10 games of our defense. Shows your hand. My assertation is based on 11 games. Our defense remains a huge concern going forward. 

the defense has worked their way into the top 10 in sacks and to's and is now 18th in points against.... i can deal with the yards given up, as long as those 3 stats keep trending in the right direction. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought this play was very different. Wasn’t he the flat defender in cover 2 for that pick. There were two receivers on his side and he got depth cause he knew it was 3 rd and long. This looks like cover 3 and he’s got a deep third. Cause of the motion away and then Allen running a crosser he gets to roam. I guess he was free to roam in both picks but very different coverages imo

4 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

the defense has worked their way into the top 10 in sacks and to's and is now 18th in points against.... i can deal with the yards given up, as long as those 3 stats keep trending in the right direction. 

Did you just conveniently forget about mentioning our run defense? 18th in points isn't a playoff caliber defense that can stop elite offensive playoff teams. I admire your optimism. Nevertheless, I'm not sold on our defense and it is worrisome as a fan. 

19 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is a great point.  For some reason a lot of Bills fans, including their beat writers, call every Allen INT a "bad decision".  You know sometimes the DB makes a great play or the D-line gets serious pressure as the QB is releasing the ball or the WR doesn't do what the QB expected.  But in Buffalo none of this matters. Allen's INT's always seem to get described as "bad decisions".

What I saw on that play was that Diggs was breaking open.  If Allen had placed the ball higher there's a good chance that Diggs plucks it out of the air for a nice completion.  Instead as Allen is following threw on his throw a defender hit his arm impacting the throw.  That pick may have been a great decision by Allen throwing to a WR that ran a great route but ended up as an INT because of a great play by a D-lineman.

Some go further and say that Allen should have realized he didn't have time to let a deep route develop.  But it was max protection - Knox and Motor kept in to block - and the protections were correct to account for the CB Harris.  Williams had him.  He just (as @Simon so colorfully put it) waved a cape at Harris and let him by. 

At some point, a QB has to be willing to trust his protections and make his reads and stand in and throw.  He can't throw downfield if he's checking the line.

That isn't to say Allen should be beyond criticism for that throw.  The safety was in fact being "nosy" and slanting his coverage towards Diggs.  By the time Diggs beat his guy, Allen had to sense the pressure bearing down on him.  He could have "thrown it away" and "lived to play another down".  I can't call it a great decision.  

That said, Allen has stood in and completed similar throws to a similarly bracketed Diggs or Brown, in similar situations where he knew he was about to get hit.  And when he completes them, we all applaud.  Then you don't hear so much then about "poor decisions", it's more "wow, that was a great throw made just as he got hit".  And if you have a QB who never takes shots and just throws it away under pressure, then you have "Checkdown Charlie".

I'm also going to be interested to see what some QB-savvier folks say about the throw.  I don't think he was throwing while falling backwards (at least, that's not what I see on film), but he didn't set and step into the throw normally, either.  Seemed he was trying to do that jump-and-twist-his-hips to generate rotational force move he's introduced this season.  Someone here pointed out his L arm wasn't tucked in and raised just under his chin as he has it on "good throws".  He might have overcome the guy hitting his arm with a stronger throwing platform or even just a better rotation, I don't know.

That's the careful line Dorsey and Daboll are trying to tread with Josh - how to hone and refine his judgement about when to hold and when to fold, without dousing his competitive fire.  The corrections they may work on with Josh for that throw may very well be corrections to footwork and platform in a "muddy" pocket, not decision making.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Did you just conveniently forget about mentioning our run defense? 18th in points isn't a playoff caliber defense that can stop elite offensive playoff teams. I admire your optimism. Nevertheless, I'm not sold on our defense and it is worrisome as a fan. 

From Matt Fairburns "10 final thoughts".... and milano comes back soon. so ya, i'm justifiably optimistic moving forward... but by all means. you do you, boo.

3. Buffalo’s defense has turned a corner. The Bills aren’t a perfect defensive team and are still susceptible to teams overpowering them with their running game. But the pass defense is back to playing the way it did in 2019 when the Bills had one of the league’s best defenses. In the first six games of the season, the Bills were fifth worst in the NFL, allowing a passer rating of 106.9 to opposing quarterbacks. They also allowed 12 passing touchdowns and had only two interceptions during that run.

In the five games since then, the Bills are fourth best in the NFL, allowing a passer rating of 77.3. During that stretch, the Bills are also third in the league in both passing touchdowns against (4) and interceptions (6). While they had games against the Jets and Patriots in that five-game period, the Bills also had to face Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray and Herbert the last three weeks. If the Bills can continue to limit top-notch passing attacks, they have a chance to make some noise in the playoffs.

4. You want another stat that shows this defense is back to what it was in 2019? The Bills have 17 sacks when blitzing this season. That number is third in the NFL. A year ago, the Bills were third in the NFL with 22 sacks on blitzes. The Bills are also fourth in the NFL in ESPN’s “pass rush win rate.” Regardless of the metric you use, this defense is starting to get after opposing quarterbacks and that’s leading to better results.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

From Matt Fairburns "10 final thoughts".... and milano comes back soon. so ya, i'm justifiably optimistic moving forward... but by all means. you do you, boo.

3. Buffalo’s defense has turned a corner. The Bills aren’t a perfect defensive team and are still susceptible to teams overpowering them with their running game. But the pass defense is back to playing the way it did in 2019 when the Bills had one of the league’s best defenses. In the first six games of the season, the Bills were fifth worst in the NFL, allowing a passer rating of 106.9 to opposing quarterbacks. They also allowed 12 passing touchdowns and had only two interceptions during that run.

In the five games since then, the Bills are fourth best in the NFL, allowing a passer rating of 77.3. During that stretch, the Bills are also third in the league in both passing touchdowns against (4) and interceptions (6). While they had games against the Jets and Patriots in that five-game period, the Bills also had to face Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray and Herbert the last three weeks. If the Bills can continue to limit top-notch passing attacks, they have a chance to make some noise in the playoffs.

4. You want another stat that shows this defense is back to what it was in 2019? The Bills have 17 sacks when blitzing this season. That number is third in the NFL. A year ago, the Bills were third in the NFL with 22 sacks on blitzes. The Bills are also fourth in the NFL in ESPN’s “pass rush win rate.” Regardless of the metric you use, this defense is starting to get after opposing quarterbacks and that’s leading to better results.

Well thought out post backed up by stats. I agree the pass rush is improving. Oliver is starting to be more impactful. It's a little concerning that we have to blitz so much to cause pressure. Our front still lacks a quality disruptor. Our major D flaw is the run defense. Missing Star in the middle certainly hurts. Edmunds isn't reliable, perhaps hurts, and misses many gaps. Not sure how we will get better at stopping the run. No doubt teams will exploit this. No defense is without flaws. 

Bills led wire to wire and got the two posession lead late. The defense for the most part looked sharp against a decent offense and the offense was just good enough despite Bosa being a hugely disruptive force but still just couldn't get it going consistently.

The Bills did play sharp defensively which is a good sign. So not all doom and gloom, the Bills got a big win they needed. Taking on a tough but banged up 49ers team this week, get that win and keep going forward. 

Joe B review of the game and grades (Athletic, paywall, trial available)

https://theathletic.com/2235042/2020/12/02/bills-chargers-tremaine-edmunds/?redirected=1

- Klein got the publicity but Edmunds was a star

- Jerry Hughes his top graded player

- Says Epenesa and Davis both very promising

- Grades Josh Allen "C", doesn't like how he managed the game

- Although he acknowledges the OL had big-time problems

My takeaway from last week: the D continues to improve and the offense is now good enough that even an “off” week is 27 pts. There are lots of things in the world to worry about but the state of the Bills is not one of them. 

My angle on how to view the game.

Last season in the Playoffs - JJ Watt "had a banner day" (maybe a half a dozen good plays?) and Josh ended up making some dumb "rookie" mistakes and lost the game in OT with the horrendous sack and a loss of 15 yards that put them out of FG range.

This season in week 12 - Joey Bosa "had a banner day" against the Bills, yet Josh ended up making more than enough good plays to overcome the bad. 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce