Week 12 Post Game thread Bills vs Chargers

Chandler#81

4 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Coming into this week Pitt has statistically played the easiest schedule in the whole league. And KC couldn’t “destroy” us the first time we played. 

quit with this..... Sure they’re better teams right now but the bills have shown they can play with anyone on a given day. 

Coughed up 3 4th quarter to’s and STILL won by 10. 

defense just gave up 17 to top ten offense. You people suck today. 

I hear what you are saying. I strongly disagree. Come playoff time it's a different animal vs the regular season. The Bills will get destroyed by the Chiefs and lose by double digits to Pitts. We just aren't in their league. Our defense isn't good enough and our offense tends to under perform vs good teams. Additionally, you talk about strength of schedule. What strong teams have the Bills beat? 

18 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I hear what you are saying. I strongly disagree. Come playoff time it's a different animal vs the regular season. The Bills will get destroyed by the Chiefs and lose by double digits to Pitts. We just aren't in their league. Our defense isn't good enough and our offense tends to under perform vs good teams. Additionally, you talk about strength of schedule. What strong teams have the Bills beat? 

You're right. Let's just hang up the cleats right now. No point in even playing the games. Newcam2012 has deemed the team a failure. Might as well play for the draft now.

12 hours ago, FLFan said:

Not the Bills best game today, but they were clearly the better team, they held Herbert down better than virtually anyone else all year, and won the game easily.  This should be encouraging to Bills fans.  They dominated a team that has played many close games on a day when they were not their best.  Be happy for crying out loud. 

Thank you.

12 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Ive been thinking, an we really have to give the D more credit during that 3 turnover period.

Is this EVER a good thing?

12 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

One thing that does worry me some is:

We drafted Allen for his big strong arm and he has shown the arm strength many times.  But whenever the weather/wind is any kind of a factor Allen has had his least impressive games.  Admittedly they ran the ball much better which is good and not that he threw the ball bad at all, but still does worry me a little.

Weather was unseasonably perfect today. What you saw was an offense showcasing the ability to impose its will in any manner in any game. 

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They played the team they played. This is who the chargers are.  The chargers are 3-8 for a reason. They’ve lost all their games by one score except one... the Bills. They went to OT vs the saints. They would have beaten the chiefs if not not for a 58 yard FG. Bills beat them by 2 scores. What is the issue. 

It’s unreal, really. Some here WANT the Bills to self-destruct and are miserable when it doesn’t happen.

12 hours ago, balln said:

youre missing the point dude. this team has texans bounced 1st rd loss all over them. 

You’re missing the point, dude. Crusading gets a week in the hole. Let us know in 9 days if you’ve gotten the point.

12 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I now understand about people on this site complaining that you can't say anything negative after a win. It's ludicrous .Bills are perfect is that better

12 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

This is getting ridiculous, I never said the Bills sucked. You guys are all so sensitive its pathetic.  

I agree, Ace! 75% completions on over 20 throws? Unacceptable! We should switch out Allen for Fromm, dontchathink? 🤦‍♂️

11 hours ago, matter2003 said:

The Bills lead the NFL in average 4th quarter points. You gloss over that conveniently.

Thanks, but this is contrary to the Crusade.🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, balln said:

so we keep saying bills won by two scores while no other team has done that as some sort of trophy. THey very well could have scored at the end. Then bills up by 3. Still not a defense. Bills O is inconsistent. Team overall isnt playoff ready

So creating negative scenarios to enhance your crusade makes your point valid? Tell it to the warden.

7 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but I'd like to point out - After we got the 5 yd penalty on the KO, Bass hit the cross bar & put it through the uprights.  From 80 yds out!!!

He’s been impressive, for sure!

Here’s the real lowdown. We’re 8-3, 6-2 in Conference play, 4-0 in Division play. Offense is showing the ability to play any system at any time they want to. Defense coming together in every aspect. STs is outstanding. The team is getting healthier as the season rolls on.

This isn’t sugar coating. Any other evaluation is just vomit spew.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

You're right. Let's just hang up the cleats right now. No point in even playing the games. Newcam2012 has deemed the team a failure. Might as well play for the draft now.

Not saying that at all. Please don't misrepresent what I'm saying. I understand my view point is unpopular. I stand by my premise. I'd be the first one who would like to be wrong. It's always been unpopular to speak negatively about the team. Honesty and realistic expectations should be encouraged on here not crucified. Your post highlights such a thinking error. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, R2ITRich said:

I attribute much of the TV graphic mistakes to Covid.  I work with a lot of these graphics operators, and because so many sporting events were cancelled this summer, these freelance graphics operators moved on to other work.  The Networks are struggling to put on good shows right now with anyone they can find.

And having served as a spotter for a few Westwood One broadcasts in my long-ago college days, I think COVID may be interfering with that as well.  The PBP guy is used to having a guy next to him with binoculars and a roster sheet, identifying players involved in plays and reminding him of their names.  At least, that’s how we did it 30 years ago.  Yes that can be done remotely but it’s harder because you already have enough voices in your earpiece and the spotter can point to names and numbers on the roster silently.  But a bad spotter or the lack thereof can be overcome with better preparation, and it felt to me like Gumbel and Gannon mailed a lot of this one in on this holiday weekend. 

Edited by BRH

13 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

One thing that does worry me some is:

We drafted Allen for his big strong arm and he has shown the arm strength many times.  But whenever the weather/wind is any kind of a factor Allen has had his least impressive games.  Admittedly they ran the ball much better which is good and not that he threw the ball bad at all, but still does worry me a little.

This is 100% true, but it's also true for the entire team. 

For years now, the whole "Bills should have an advantage in bad weather," reputation hasn't applied. It seems to help opposing teams more than it helps us. We tend to squeak by with wins against the bad teams in those conditions, but good teams often make less mistakes and turn the ball over less. 

Every time I see our offense in an indoor venue, I feel much safer. Then I imagine if that was our home field + our fans, and I can't help but dream of a nice, indoor Bills stadium in the future 😁

• Like (+1) 1

I don't recall any notable injuries from yesterday.  Allen didn't seem too bothered by his ankle and I think Taron Johnson was slow getting up but played.  Did the Bills survive the game intact?

my game day thoughts.

1.  That fourth quarter was nuts.  N*U*T*S*.  We won, no holding call, we won, no turnover, we won field goal.

2.  Two Hail Mary's completed on back to back plays, one counted.

3.  The last minute play calling by the Chargers may just be the WORST in NFL history.

4.  Allen's INT was clearly effected by the pash rush, but I wonder if his ankle played a role in this too?  Maybe he could not plant on it effectively.

5.  Curious game plan that forgot about Diggs in the first half.

6.  Was that THE QUIETEST 175 rushing yards in a game?  I was pretty surprised to see that number flash up. It just didn't seem like that many to me.  

7.  Beasley is such a good receiver.  Why he doesn't get 10 targets every game is a mystery to me.

8.  I was sure they were going to throw a TD to the OLINE.  On the Knox TD, I'm pretty sure I saw an OLINE eligible in the end zone.

9.  With each kick Bass makes, I am getting more comfortable.

10. Bojorquez was booming punts yesterday.

11. Bills LBs had themselves a day.  Looking forward to getting a healthy Milano back.

12. Bills played K Allen about as well as one can play him.  His best play of the day was when Allen crushed the Bills CB allowing the RB to get a big run.

13. Five OLINE started, same five OLINE finished.

14. On to San Francisco ...  or Tempe.. or ...

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

But that hasn’t really been the case. For the most part, we beat the teams we’re supposed to beat and lose (sometimes big) to the teams that we aren’t supposed to beat. Underdogs to the chiefs and cards while losing @ the titans, who are returning the same team from the afccg.   The Seattle game, while it is a signature win, it was @home against an all time bad D traveling across the country to the east coast. 

I feel that we can hang with any team, no question.  I just don’t feel that we lose very many games that we are supposed win.  We might have to sweat them out though 

If you’re disappointed in Poyer week in and week out, you should stop smoking that particular kind of crack. It’s not helping 

Poyer is not playing that great. He whiffs on a lot of intermediate tackles and takes poor pursuit angles, especially in run support. At best, his 2020 gamefilm is mixed. I know he's capable of being great, but I just don't see it.

Edited by RichRiderBills

44 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

This is 100% true, but it's also true for the entire team. 

For years now, the whole "Bills should have an advantage in bad weather," reputation hasn't applied. It seems to help opposing teams more than it helps us. We tend to squeak by with wins against the bad teams in those conditions, but good teams often make less mistakes and turn the ball over less. 

Every time I see our offense in an indoor venue, I feel much safer. Then I imagine if that was our home field + our fans, and I can't help but dream of a nice, indoor Bills stadium in the future 😁

Go back to the glory days and look how much Kelly rifled it in swirling winds....you wont find as much of the film as you hope. Kgun ran a ton of screens, flares, and short passes. Look at the famous Browns-Bills playoff game in '89. Look how many catches by RBs that game. This whole fantasy of a strong arm quarterback throwing bombs in terrible weather is out there...

I actually thought we had a good gameplan sunday. A couple plays here and there I did not like, and the oline struggled some, but those turnovers at the end dont happen and we handle them. 

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Come on man, this stuff still? They’ve played 11 games and have won 8 of them-you don’t get to that point by beating only terrible teams. You’re nitpicking the Bills and using the other teams to fit your narrative. I could easily switch around the narrative foe their losses-for the Tennessee game there was so much uncertainty including game planning for 2 teams, the weather was bad for the KC game, lucky catch on a Hail Mary to lose to Arizona, etc....I mean you’re worried about getting blown out by Pittsburgh-they have some close wins against bad teams this year! 

the point is every team has had some pretty suspect games this year, that being said you don’t get to 8-3 by only beating cream puffs-this isn’t college football 

16 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Poyer is not playing that great. He whiffs on a lot of intermediate tackles and takes poor pursuit angles, especially in run support. At best, his 2020 gamefilm is mixed. I know he'd capable of being great, but I just don't see it.

How you don’t see it says more about you than it does anything else. He is our defensive MVP thru 11 games.

Hands down.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

👀when did this guy become a bills fan 

At least here in the NY/NJ area its been known for some time that Cuomo is a Bills fan. The media here has asked him why he doesn't support the Jets or Giants and he says he grew up a Bills fan. You can tell we are having a good season when the biggest complaints on this board are we don't win pretty enough. Win by 1 or 31 I don't care. A win is a win. The Bills do need to fix some things like every team does. Can't turn the ball over like that as it will cost them in the future. If the Bills ever decide to make the all white throwbacks their permanent home uniform I would love that. Its their best look AINEC.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

If the playoffs started today the bills have 3 wins over 3 teams that would be in. Rams, Seahawks and fins. 

Heading into this week the bills had played 7 teams with winning records. Steelers have played 3. what schedule would you argue better preps a team for a playoff run? 

you’re looking really foolish here, my man. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Well considering the Titans smoked the Bills earlier in the year. Yes, I’d say they are clearly better. 

I wouldn't.  That was a very weird game, and I imagine a Bills-Titans playoff game would about 3 point line -- more or less a coin flip.

Most fans would have a better handle on the NFL if they thought in terms of probabilities instead of obviously wrong heuristics like "The better team always wins."  In the NFL, the gap between teams isn't that large, and there are hardly any games that are truly locks one way or the other.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

If the playoffs started today the bills have 3 wins over 3 teams that would be in. Rams, Seahawks and fins. 

Heading into this week the bills had played 7 teams with winning records. Steelers have played 3. what schedule would you argue better preps a team for a playoff run? 

you’re looking really foolish here, my man. 

If they started today we would get the Browns. The Titans win has them as the #3 as we drop to #4. Cleveland is the top WC team. Of course things will probably change over the next 5 weeks. The AFC is strong this year. KC, PITT, CLE, BAL (when healthy), TEN, INDY. Whoever the Bills get on WC weekend (assuming they take care of business the final 5 weeks) they will have their hands full.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

The Rams and Seahawks for sure.  The Dolphins and Raiders are also borderline playoff teams.  (Full disclosure: I don't think Miami is actually that good, and they're at least a couple of wins ahead of their talent level.  If you want to cross them off this list, I won't argue with you, but according to the stats they're a solid team.)

I mean, last year your point would have had some validity to it.  We played a schedule that was softer than Snuggle Bear, and it was reasonable to wonder what would happen if/when we finally played somebody good.  It's kind of crazy to make that same argument this year.  We lost to two good teams -- one under deeply weird circumstances and one that was at least kind of close -- and we lost another game to a pretty good team on a fluke play at the very end.  We've also got wins over 3-4 playoff teams.  Obviously it would be nice if we were unbeaten, but it's not like our 8-3 record is some kind of mirage or just the product of beating up on the Jets, Bengals, and Jaguars of the league.  We have quite a few good wins tucked away in there.