Week 12 Post Game thread Bills vs Chargers

Chandler#81

3 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Their margin of victory against the Chargers was more than the Chiefs and Saints margins of victory combined.  Are they one and done too?  The Chargers are a good team and the Bills controlled the game from start to finish. 

Yup, from start to finish. Yes, there was some drama in between but that’s why they play the game.

This is the Chargers worst loss of the year by point total.

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes agree we've beaten some good teams and with one more win in the last five will tie last years record, two wins will exceed last years total wins which is good.  Agree too that after first round likely won't be favored against a few teams.  And agree we had control in so many games only to let it slip away in so many games too, that's the worrisome part.

But calling these garbage times scores is way under selling it. We were up 18 points, and let them get within one score and came close to having to again worry about recovering an onsides kick to seal the game.  Did it happen no but too often is coming down to that after letting good size leads slip away.  In 11 games only the 2nd Jets game and the NE game did we outscore the team in the 2nd half.   One of these days and maybe repeated days this will catch up to the team and with only a one game lead on Miami, could find ourselves losing the division and on the road for the wild card too.

I agree with the points you make. I am still ok with it because when we have 1st half leads (we do often) you can afford to do that. The part that really makes me feel ok with it is even when we let a good team do that (cards) we can respond.  Having to recover an onside kick to win the game is not a problem. It’s a 95% thing. Having to win games by FGs that’s a different story. That means you were down or tied. Onside kicks mean you were up by two possessions in the closing minutes. I see your concerns but I think with a rising defense and a franchise QB we might be on the precipice of a really fun run. 

Edited by YattaOkasan

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He also could have no INTs.  Could is a fuzzy word which is used by people to change prospective to what they think rather than what happened.

No need to get defensive...I was just agreeing with the other poster that it seemed, lately, Josh has been making unwise decisions more than he usually does...just an observation...

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

They play like that on offense in playoffs it’s over 

Run game showed improvents and we already know what the passing game is capable of IMO.  Playing like that  gave Buffalo an 8 - 3 record and one step closer to the playoffs IMO.  This was like a playoff game for Anthony Lynn and a games like today get coaches fired in this league IMO..

17 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

We can probably win the first playoff game vs a weaker opponent at home. This team is clearly not elite. Still young and developing. Pitt or KC will destroy us in the playoffs.

Coming into this week Pitt has statistically played the easiest schedule in the whole league. And KC couldn’t “destroy” us the first time we played. 

quit with this..... Sure they’re better teams right now but the bills have shown they can play with anyone on a given day. 

9 minutes ago, balln said:

so we keep saying bills won by two scores while no other team has done that as some sort of trophy. THey very well could have scored at the end. Then bills up by 3. Still not a defense. Bills O is inconsistent. Team overall isnt playoff ready

Coughed up 3 4th quarter to’s and STILL won by 10. 

defense just gave up 17 to top ten offense. You people suck today. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, balln said:

so we keep saying bills won by two scores while no other team has done that as some sort of trophy. THey very well could have scored at the end. Then bills up by 3. Still not a defense. Bills O is inconsistent. Team overall isnt playoff ready

But yet they didn't score and the Bills won by 10 and that's the chargers worst loss of the season. If we going on could of would of things now the Bill's could be 9-2 if the Arizona hail Mary never happens.

6 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

K I can see your opponents. Slight rebuttal is that when we have 1st half leads (we do often) you can afford to do that. The part that really makes me feel great is even when we let a good team do that (cards) we can respond.  Having to recover an onside kick to win the game is not a problem. It’s a 95% thing. Having to win games by FGs that’s a different story. That means you were down or tied. Onside kicks mean you were up by two possessions in the closing minutes. I see your concerns but I think with a rising defense and a franchise QB we might be on the precipice of a really fun run. 

Agree but the concerning part is look at the scores of games of other 8-3 and even 7-4 teams.  They are winning some close games, but they are also winning some blowouts by 15 to 20 points.  We have not won a game by more than 10 points and five of our wins were by one score, likely should have been six as I have no idea what the Chargers were trying to do in the last 30 seconds today, maybe Herbert bet on the Bills with the points. 

Likely if you take the unsportsmanlike conduct and roughing the passer penalties away we would have won comfortably but we just keep making totally dumb plays to allow the other team to get back into the game.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Just my two cents, and change:

I guess I can't be too mad at this game. Offense looked so undisciplined in the second half, that it's hard to remember the good things from the first.

At one point in the first half, the ref announced #71 as an eligible receiver. I had forgotten who that was-- Ryan Bates. But, the rest of the O-line starters were out there. Were they playing him like a TE? Weird.

Knox blocks sucks. (And he used a lot more effort reeling in that TD than was necessary)

Lee's blocks are damn good.

What the hell? Klein is legit? What happened midseason to get him to flip that switch?

If we're going to be a base 4-2-5 defense, we need a better nickel than Taron Johnson.

Our run game seemed to emerge in the second half, in no small part to improved O-line play in that area. I can forgive Motor's fumble, but I don't feel like we have complimentary backs. I'll take Motor over Moss, although there are people on this board that disagree. And, I'm not saying Moss is terrible, but IMO he's not a good compliment. I'm not sure I wouldn't feel better with Yeldon out there. Moss has been a disappointment, if you ask me.

This offense really misses Smoke when he's not there. I think Allen/McD needed to spread the ball around more in the second half. The TEs were invisible, McKenzie was a non-factor, and with Diggs playing so many short routes, there was little speed on the field, and we weren't that hard to cover in the second. Poor offensive adjustments at the half.

Great defensive adjustments at the half, though. The Chargers O became demoralized.

Just a couple of points I disagree with.

Yes, we all expected more out of Knox this year, but that big missed tackle was a one-on-one block against Bosa. There aren't many TEs in the league that can take Bosa one-on-one. So, it's hard for me to fault him too much for that. Especially since it was sweep play. He wasn't lined up opposite Bosa, he had to try to slide over and catch Bosa before he got off the ball. Tough ask. Coaches didn't put him in a position to succeed. And I totally disagree with your take on the TD. That was a great catch by Knox. It was either a bad ball from Josh or he was putting it where the defender couldn't get to it, but either way, the ball was high and behind Knox. The fact that he caught that and was still able to get his feet down was an excellent play by him.

I think Taron played a very good game today for the most part and I think he is a player. I'm not sure why people have been calling for his head lately.

And due to injuries, game plans, etc. Moss has not had many opportunities overall. So, I'm also surprised how many fans are down on him too. He is a rookie who has had a total of 68 carries, is averaging 4.2 yards per rush, and has 4 TDs. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Without the turnovers this game could of easily been 37-17.  I don't get the "terrible/bad" game comments.

Defense stepped up.  I read all week where the Chargers were going to put up 30+.

Newsflash they put 17 with 3 turnovers handed them.

defense played way better than I thought

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but I'd like to point out - After we got the 5 yd penalty on the KO, Bass hit the cross bar & put it through the uprights.  From 80 yds out!!!

I noticed that too. Very cool!I noticed that too. Very cool!

30 minutes ago, balln said:

How spoiled/entitled.  Be happy, we are 8-3.  It's a good thing!

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree but the concerning part is look at the scores of games of other 8-3 and even 7-4 teams.  They are winning some close games, but they are also winning some blowouts by 15 to 20 points.  We have not won a game by more than 10 points and five of our wins were by one score, likely should have been six as I have no idea what the Chargers were trying to do in the last 30 seconds today, maybe Herbert bet on the Bills with the points. 

Likely if you take the unsportsmanlike conduct and roughing the passer penalties away we would have won comfortably but we just keep making totally dumb plays to allow the other team to get back into the game.

I get what you’re saying but could some of that be (us not blowing out teams) because of all the teams that we have played above .500.

I believe it was after the Cardinals game where I saw a stat of how many teams the bills have played that are above .500. The second closest team at the time played two less games than us when it comes to teams above .500. That was just the second closest team.

When you only play 16 games, that’s a big difference.

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think I’m ok with it. Yeah we have not blown anyone out but I have felt really comfortable with our lead with 4 min to go in all but 2 of our wins (pats and rams).  Maybe it feels weird cause we did get blown out in two of our losses (though I think they were closer than the score) which wasn’t our MO last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, balln said:

Agree. And it’s mental mistakes that are costing us. Our ceiling is as high as any teams in the league. We just don’t play at that level consistently enough. It’s self inflicted wounds that keep us from getting there