Can't figure out Devin Singletary.

ChicagoRic

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

The 4 fumbles last year was a problem. 1 in 100 or so this year? Thats normal I feel.

Shouldn’t we differentiate that he only lost 1 of those 4 fumbles? Or does that matter? I guess fumbling it four times shows some ball security issues.

I nope Moss never fumbles the ball, then he will just be another fumbler like Singletary and Yeldon. 

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I predict that everyone calling Moss average or a #2 back is going to feel silly about it a year from now.

Well, that could be, but today, Singletary out gained Moss on the ground, and the pass game, and has done so more than a couple time. Moss certainly has potential to be better than he currently is, and he is doing just fine for a rookie. If we ever learn to integrate a run game into our pass first offense in a more seamless way, both of our  RBs will do very well. 

• Like (+1) 1

Great points about a lack of break away speed in our backfield.  Also, when you look @ games this year, it’s discouraging to see how many defenders are in our backfield when we hand off to our RB’s, this is stating the obvious.  Also, the league has been able to run on the Chargers, so today’s stats are relevant to this. 

Rb by committee is the best situation for him. I love his running style. His lack if breakaway speed is troublesome but he isn't losing my confidence because of it. I think they just need a speedy guy whenever the fit is there

15 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

Like the way he finds holes. 

Dislike his lack of breakaway speed.

Like his blocking.

Dislike his tendency to fumble.

Like the way he picks up yards in chunks.

Dislike that he can't seem to find the end zone. 

Is he a legit starter?

Is he "just a guy"

Is he a victim of poor run blocking?

Enlighten me.  

If you can't insert any back from the past five rosters into the lineup and get the same production, than he can't be just a guy.

He needs to work on the fundamentals of securing the ball, but "just a guy"?

What do your eyes tell you?

Do you really need him removed from the lineup again to realize how important he is to the offense? 

If nothing else, the timing of this thread is bizarre, considering he was the team's leading rusher and receiver out the backfield.

9 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

Shouldn’t we differentiate that he only lost 1 of those 4 fumbles? Or does that matter? I guess fumbling it four times shows some ball security issues.

I nope Moss never fumbles the ball, then he will just be another fumbler like Singletary and Yeldon. 

Id say Singletary needs to shore up ball security a bit. Hes not fast and this was another one where they punched it out from behind.  I don't know that he has some crazy mental fumbling problem. 

2 hours ago, Frez said:

Sloooooow and a fumbler. 

Draft another RB next season to go with Moss. 

He has 261 carries for his career (years) and 5 fumbles during that span. He only has 1 fumble this year. He is not a fumbler. 

In comparison just taking their first years due to a close amount of total carries. 

Emmit Smith 241 carries 7 fumbles 

Barry Sanders 265 carries 4 fumbles

LeSean McCoy 362 carries over 2 years (only had 155 carries in his 1st year) 4 fumbles (2 each year)

Le’Veon Bell 244 carries 1 fumble

• Awesome! (+1) 1

From my vast experience as an arm chair GM, I’m calling it mostly poor run blocking and poor run play calling, if all Singletary does is successfully move the chains for first downs, with those chunk gains, I’m good, that means that defenses have to account for him. We have more than enough other weapons to complement his runs with scores. 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Iverwig said:

He has 261 carries for his career (years) and 5 fumbles during that span. He only has 1 fumble this year. He is not a fumbler. 

In comparison just taking their first years due to a close amount of total carries. 

Emmit Smith 241 carries 7 fumbles 

Barry Sanders 265 carries 4 fumbles

LeSean McCoy 362 carries over 2 years (only had 155 carries in his 1st year) 4 fumbles (2 each year)

Le’Veon Bell 244 carries 1 fumble

Every time he runs with the ball I cringe because I know he’s a fumbler.  We can do better.