Winning...But Undisciplined and Sloppy

Wizard

9 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Always happy with a win but the trend of not putting teams away is concerning. At times we just don’t play smart football and it needs to get fixed quickly. The same scenario happened in the playoffs vs Houston and they got beat because of it. This year they got bit again by AZ and came close to doing it again vs. the Chargers and Rams.

2nd half adjustments by the staff is alarming. We are 8-3 but getting out scored in the 2nd half.

Officiating was ridiculous and really made me question if they were trying to cover the spread.

Hoping this team can start playing a complete game in all three phases! They can beat anyone if they can.

Now let’s go beat the Niners!

Excellent!

2 hours ago, Wizard said:

Yes, a win is a win. And, yes, Daboll's offensive playcalling and Bills scoring has improved. Kudos and cheers for a win.

But, it is time to move into the level of contenders. I think what separates our playoff-bound Bills from the Chiefs, Steelers, and Titans is not executing consistently or with a killer urgency.

Against the Chargers we can get away with an undisciplined, sloppy, and the inability

of not finishing off opponents.

A critical fumble, an interception, multiple unsportsmanlike penalties, and the lack of finishing an opponent at the end if the game is now a trend not a one-off moment.  Add in the generally overly conservative second half  playcalling once again, and this is pause for concern. 

Time for Josh to take the next level of consistent greatness, McDermott laying into his players for undisciplined play, and Daboll getting his offense to execute and finish.

We should expect better execution, consistency, and a first round playoff win this year.

Let's Go, Buffalo!

You clearly haven't watched a lot of the Steelers play this year.  The only undefeated team has done all this stuff too, but also doing enough to win.  Same goes for Green Bay, Rams, Seattle, Arizona, Titans, Colts, Saints, and even KC at times.  I mean this is the story of just about every team out there.  

What matters is how the team responds in those moments, and outside the Ten game and KC game (which the whole team was off from start to finish in those games), Bills have always responded this year.  And it took a 1 in 200 chance play for AZ to steal a win from us after we responded and drove the field for what should have been the go ahead TD after some miscues in the 4th.  

I have actually really liked how resilient we have been and how we have responded after mistakes.  And lets not forget, we were again missing John Brown who has been proven to be very important to the flow of the offense.  

I don't think those complaining have watched much of the other teams this year. We were sloppy but we won by 10 points in a game with a team that has not lost by much all year. We must play better to win the Super Bowl but at this point just win each game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Two score double digit win my friend, 👍

Go Bills!!!

Even WITH a freakish late meltdown. 

Yes, we need to clean some things up, but win and learn. Move forward and win the next one. Get ready for a playoff run. 

GO BILLS! 

• Like (+1) 1

A win is a win and darn glad they won with a -2 turnover ratio - that doesn't happen often I don't think.  What I'd like to see the team work on is their coverage on Hail Mary type passes.....geesh....almost happened again......

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Saints. They are the best team in the NFC right now.

Even they have had a couple games where they looked extremely shaky. This idea that winning without perfection is something to lose your sh*t over is silly. 

Winning is all that counts. You can be concerned about things, but you've people on this board advocating for firing McDermott/Beane which is either trolling or criminal stupidity. 

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Allen's spin was clear taunting (and I was still glad he did it because the Chargers were playing to injure people out there) and the roughing call wasn't on Tre's low tackle, they called it on Oliver for either being late or leading with his head.

That being said, the officiating crew was probably the worst unit on the field today

I agree that Allen's spike was deliberate, but he needs to be smarter, moreso after a great TD drive to start the 3rd QTR. 

Refs in general are subpar across the league, IMO. 

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't care what some fans see or choose not to see. This team is poorly coached. You can set your watch to them playing poorly in the 2nd half every week. Especially the 3rd Q.  A game this ugly and sloppy should never happen after a bye week. More stupid penalties and decisions by the players. Back to back Hail Mary's.  Really, who does that?  More dumb decisions by Josh. This team is incapable of separating from anyone, including the Jets. Yeah we'll make the playoffs but beyond that I'm keeping my expectations very low.

Going toe-to-toe with one of the worst coached teams demonstrates this fact I think. I’m not sure but maybe the reason they can’t win pretty is on the coaches and not the players. Situational awareness is amongst the worse I’ve seen in-game.

4 hours ago, Wizard said:

Yes, a win is a win. And, yes, Daboll's offensive playcalling and Bills scoring has improved. Kudos and cheers for a win.

But, it is time to move into the level of contenders. I think what separates our playoff-bound Bills from the Chiefs, Steelers, and Titans is not executing consistently or with a killer urgency.

Against the Chargers we can get away with an undisciplined, sloppy, and the inability

of not finishing off opponents.

A critical fumble, an interception, multiple unsportsmanlike penalties, and the lack of finishing an opponent at the end if the game is now a trend not a one-off moment.  Add in the generally overly conservative second half  playcalling once again, and this is pause for concern. 

Time for Josh to take the next level of consistent greatness, McDermott laying into his players for undisciplined play, and Daboll getting his offense to execute and finish.

We should expect better execution, consistency, and a first round playoff win this year.

Let's Go, Buffalo!

The strange thing is.... the Bills never really got in sync on offense.  Turned the ball over with 3 times over the span of 7 plays.  And scored 27 points all on offense.

The turnovers really sunk the team, especially Devin’s fumble.  Josh’s was bad too.  

That’s why the 3rd quarter struggles are so hard to pin down.  It’s a combination of poor execution by everyone - offense, defense, coaching etc

2 hours ago, High Football IQ said:

This game pretty much ended up like I expected, but a few things have me really concerned going forward:

1) Allen - just way too inconsistent and this was probably his worst game of the season and 2nd time this year he's had two straight below average/bad games. Without John Brown he truly seems lost and is more turnover prone constantly looking Diggs way almost every play even when double/triple covered. If this team is truly going as far as Allen and the offense takes them I still think it will be one and done in the playoffs assuming we even get there.

2) Coaching/3rd quarter yet again - pretty much the same deal, against a better team we lose and lose easily but thankfully we played an even worse coach today and were able to hang on. I still think McDermott needs to fire Frazier no matter what after the season even if they get to the playoffs.

3) Defense - yes they've played better as a whole in recent weeks but they still look completely lost at times and the zone defense has to go (see last point about Frazier). Also how on earth do you allow another hail mail to be completed after the debacle a few weeks ago? Not good and don't matter that the play didn't matter in the end.

No mention of Devin Singletary’s fumble?  I think if he holds into the football, the final score is very different.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Frazier leaves, but I don’t think it happens.  McDermott is really not under any pressure and he has tremendous respect for Frazier.  The defense seems to have gotten a little better this season as well.  Plus, we all know that McDermott is probably pretty hands-on with the defense.  No reason for him to make Frazier a scapegoat.

If he really does feel the defense needs an overhaul, he’ll make the move.  But again, I don’t see that as the case.

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Even they have had a couple games where they looked extremely shaky. This idea that winning without perfection is something to lose your sh*t over is silly. 

Winning is all that counts. You can be concerned about things, but you've people on this board advocating for firing McDermott/Beane which is either trolling or criminal stupidity. 

I’m not that guy. 

4 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

The Bills won all 3 of those games,  In fact, they're now 4 - 0 under McD coming off the bye.     And the 2018 game against the Jags they definitely did not come out flat.   

The league-wide winning % coming off a bye since 2003 is about 54%.   So it's far from a sure thing for teams to win off their bye week.  And 100% is much better than 54%.  So you're using the bye week to judge the coaching, the Bills have an all-star staff compared to the rest of the league.

Point taken, but to be fair those wins came from 2018 Jags, 2019 Phins, 2020 Chargers and all of those games were close.  Notice how we performed the week after the bye weeks.  2018 and 2019 we got destroyed.  

4 hours ago, LVGrown said:

And 3rd year in a row they've won isn't it?

Yes, the W is the most important stat but none of those victories were convincing and were against bottom feeder teams.  

1 minute ago, High Football IQ said:

This team needs to play significantly better just to make the playoffs given the upcoming schedule. SF is one game out of .500 and a playoff spot and will be extra motivated on MNF even in a possible neutral site.

But any talk of SB or actually winning a playoff game is a pipe dream at best because the Bills aren't close to the same class as the 3 other division leaders and have already lost decisively against two of them with the Steelers on deck in a few weeks.

Your prediction of finishing 6-10 or 7-9 didn't age well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

This team needs to play significantly better just to make the playoffs given the upcoming schedule. SF is one game out of .500 and a playoff spot and will be extra motivated on MNF even in a possible neutral site.

But any talk of SB or actually winning a playoff game is a pipe dream at best because the Bills aren't close to the same class as the 3 other division leaders and have already lost decisively against two of them with the Steelers on deck in a few weeks.

Doesn't matter what happened earlier in the year against those teams, all that matters is how they are playing when the playoffs get here. Once again, the NFL is a week to week league. What happened last week doesn't matter to this week's game and certainly not what happened 8 or 9 games ago.

Do we actually watch the other games?

Literally every single team outside of Kansas City is "sloppy."  A lot.

The Chargers have a very good team.  They had all their studs on offense and they were neutralized.  We held Allen to 4 catches. 

We are getting better against the run.  And that has to be priority number 1 here down the stretch.  That and improving the run game.