Winning...But Undisciplined and Sloppy

Wizard

4 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Appreciate the thoughts. There are two camps primarily on such wins.

Those that revel in a victory and rightfully so, and those who are somewhat pessimistic in a win because the expectation after 20+ years is to be a consistent and perennial playoff team for awhile.

Neither line of thinking is bad; however, I fall in the second camp as this is what I believe is Buffalo's next step toward competing for a championship in the near future.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Bills have been weak defensively all season and they finally stepped up against a good offensive team.  They're not going to fumble on back to back drives every game.  They made mistakes and still won quite comfortably. That is exactly what good teams that are perennial playoff contenders do.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

It’s become apparent that we don’t use the bye week effectively.  This is the third year in a row we’ve come out flat after a bye.  That’s 100% on coaching and locker room leadership.  

Honestly how were we flat? Do fans have an amount of points in mind that we have to meet? Joey Bosa obliterated us. 

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This was the same game they’ve played under McD for a while now. Get out to a big lead and slowly squander it. Something weird with the mentality of the team... don’t really expect much in the playoffs, maybe they get their ***** together but they aren’t in the same league as the Chiefs.

I think this is unrealistic expectations on our part to be honest...quite a few of these games where we 'squander' leads we actually lead wire to wire and win lol no one is in the same league as the chiefs they are pretty close to '07 patriots good 

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Ok? Sorry. I have higher expectations... Just doesn’t look like a team that can compete for a championship but maybe they prove me wrong. 

I respect that...I mean some people will view those back to back fumbles as poor execution that the team might continue and some will see it as a fluke.  Were trying to project future outcomes based on the game today and the huge question mark for us being competitive has been the defense and they did their job.  

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Ok? Sorry. I have higher expectations... Just doesn’t look like a team that can compete for a championship but maybe they prove me wrong. 

I think being a fan for over fifty years is frustrating. Some of these rookies on here kill me. They haven’t seen a lot of bills football. Most don’t even live here

30 minutes ago, Jobot said:

It boggles my mind that so many fans assume what we're watching is a finished product.  We're in the middle of year 4 of McDermott's time in Buffalo.. but realistically this is his year 1 based on the roster turnover he needed to get through.

You're projecting a lot onto my comment. I was simply reacting to a statement you made about hoping the norm doesn't become winning and nitpicking. I was saying that as long as we're winning, I'll put up with annoying fans!

26 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

No.  Conservatively, I'd guess that I see a QB pick that up and do something with it probably every other week or so.  Trying to pick it up is fine.  Were you asleep during the Dallas game last year?

Yes I recall the play against Dallas, believe at that point they were still behind or still very close.  Here was a point where you more have the game in hand, so at that point protecting the football should become more a priority. 

Agree  that you see it every week, works sometimes, but not always which goes back to my point when protecting lead, you don't need to be a hero, you need to be smart.

5 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

I think being a fan for over fifty years is frustrating. Some of these rookies on here kill me. They haven’t seen a lot of bills football. Most don’t even live here

Thats certainly understandable but how do previous bills teams have anything to do with what this current team can do going forward this season... I keep seeing 'same old bills' posts every time an opposing team scores in the game day threads but we end up holding leads and finishing games unlike those bills of the entire last decade 🤣 clearly things are changing.  Were assuming we are getting lucky and will start losing close games simply because bills teams of old did? It makes zero sense. This team is more likely to improve going forward than start losing close games ...the defense has been playing far below its potential.  Likely because we had quite a few new pieces that couldn't get acclimated as easily due to the covid debacle. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

Yes, a win is a win. And, yes, Daboll's offensive playcalling and Bills scoring has improved. Kudos and cheers for a win.

But, it is time to move into the level of contenders. I think what separates our playoff-bound Bills from the Chiefs, Steelers, and Titans is not executing consistently or with a killer urgency.

Against the Chargers we can get away with an undisciplined, sloppy, and the inability

of not finishing off opponents.

A critical fumble, an interception, multiple unsportsmanlike penalties, and the lack of finishing an opponent at the end if the game is now a trend not a one-off moment.  Add in the generally overly conservative second half  playcalling once again, and this is pause for concern. 

Time for Josh to take the next level of consistent greatness, McDermott laying into his players for undisciplined play, and Daboll getting his offense to execute and finish.

We should expect better execution, consistency, and a first round playoff win this year.

Let's Go, Buffalo!

You had me at “a win is a win.” 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, delirious said:

What frustrates me so much is the amount of McDermott preaching fundamentals and mental toughness, and week in and week out, we play so undisciplined and shoot ourselves in the foot. 

Seems to be the same mistakes or types or mistakes that are being repeatedly made.  The failure to learn/adapt/correct is beyond frustrating.

We also just can't seem to stand prosperity.  

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

.....and barely beat a 3-7 team

Aye Carumba 

The 10 point loss for the Chargers actually ties for the biggest loss of the season for the Chargers.  They lost to the Jaguars 39-29.  The lost to the Chiefs and NO Saints by 3 points each.  Fortunately the league does not award style points.  

53 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

It’s become apparent that we don’t use the bye week effectively.  This is the third year in a row we’ve come out flat after a bye.  That’s 100% on coaching and locker room leadership.  

And 3rd year in a row they've won isn't it?

52 minutes ago, Simon said:

Allen's spin was clear taunting (and I was still glad he did it because the Chargers were playing to injure people out there) and the roughing call wasn't on Tre's low tackle, they called it on Oliver for either being late or leading with his head.

That being said, the officiating crew was probably the worst unit on the field today

On the ensuing drive following the Josh Allen TD run & taunting call, Keenan Allen spun the ball after a catch, at Poyer's feet, and signaled first down.  No call on 13, of course 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

The Bills won all 3 of those games,  In fact, they're now 4 - 0 under McD coming off the bye.     And the 2018 game against the Jags they definitely did not come out flat.   

The league-wide winning % coming off a bye since 2003 is about 54%.   So it's far from a sure thing for teams to win off their bye week.  And 100% is much better than 54%.  So you're using the bye week to judge the coaching, the Bills have an all-star staff compared to the rest of the league.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Allen's spin was clear taunting (and I was still glad he did it because the Chargers were playing to injure people out there) and the roughing call wasn't on Tre's low tackle, they called it on Oliver for either being late or leading with his head.

That being said, the officiating crew was probably the worst unit on the field today

Herbert was running away and Oliver got called for roughing the passer. Allen spun the ball and the other guy happened to be there- oh well, we won

11 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The saints are hardly winning pretty...they got taken to OT by this same chargers team that we are supposedly failures for not beating by more lol. They beat the panthers by 3 and then the bears by 3 in the following weeks 

They are on thir way to their 4th straight dominating win right now.

Always happy with a win but the trend of not putting teams away is concerning. At times we just don’t play smart football and it needs to get fixed quickly. The same scenario happened in the playoffs vs Houston and they got beat because of it. This year they got bit again by AZ and came close to doing it again vs. the Chargers and Rams.

2nd half adjustments by the staff is alarming. We are 8-3 but getting out scored in the 2nd half.

Officiating was ridiculous and really made me question if they were trying to cover the spread.

Hoping this team can start playing a complete game in all three phases! They can beat anyone if they can.

Now let’s go beat the Niners!

• Like (+1) 1