Kroft and Murphy inactive

YoloinOhio

26 minutes ago, Process said:

What a miss the Kroft signing was. 

I think he's been earning his keep this year.  He's always quietly in the right place and usually doing the right thing. 

I hope it means they think Knox is back to form and I hope Smith isn't a penalty generator.

2 minutes ago, delirious said:

I must be misinformed about Milano. I thought he was put on IR and would be eligible this week. Haven't heard any news on him. 

Am I off a week?

Yes, has to miss 3 games not 3 weeks.  Can return next week.

5 minutes ago, delirious said:

I must be misinformed about Milano. I thought he was put on IR and would be eligible this week. Haven't heard any news on him. 

Am I off a week?

Seems IR (this year) means 3 GAMES, not 3 WEEKS, hence why he can only come back next week. I'd be good to know if he is healthy regardless. 

Edit: seems some answers had been written while I was typing ha ha. My last point stands though

Edited by Jerome007
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Every week McD does something stupid.

Please explain to me how Gilliam is a better option than Kroft?

I'm fine with Smith being active but Gilliam makes no dam sense.  He is just as useless as DiMarco was.  

Murphy I could care less about. He's been a bum his entire non-PED career.  Time to see what Epenesa can do.  

25 minutes ago, Process said:

I should clarify. He's clearly the best TE we have. But when you pay a guy $5M+ to be a healthy scratch the signing is clearly a bust. 

you won’t be saying that in early January when he makes the game-winning catch for us in the first round playoff game!

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Think they are guna try and pound the ball today... not sure the obsession with it considering the passing attack is their strength and they struggle running the ball... hope it works. 

Smoke screen and Lee Smith with have 2 or 3 TD receptions lol

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Think they are guna try and pound the ball today... not sure the obsession with it considering the passing attack is their strength and they struggle running the ball... hope it works. 

They did say they were revamping the run game over the bye week

I feel like this team made it pretty clear that the run game was about to be prioritized. I think a lot of fans don’t want to hear it but it’s coming. The under 30 crowd thinks all you have to do is throw every play. That’s why we can’t hold leads. You gota be able to grind out clock. Especially when you are up late. This team needs more balance. Wether it’s popular or not...Lee Smith is about to bring that physicality 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Seems like it.  I have no problem with Less Smith being active.  I've posted many times he should be active because he is the best run blocker on the team and there are times they will need some short yardage gains.  

Most on this board rag on Smith as much as I do Murphy.  We all have our favorite players to pick on.  Mine has been Murphy.  

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm fine with Smith being active but Gilliam makes no dam sense.  He is just as useless as DiMarco was.  

Murphy I could care less about. He's been a bum his entire non-PED career.  Time to see what Epenesa can do.  

I couldn't agree more Ethan. Another week of head scratchers from Clappy. Maybe Sean doesn't think the TE position is valuable anyway. As mediocre as I consider Kroft to be, he is clearly our best TE among some turd TE's. So maybe this is a cry for help from McD for accidentally cutting the legendary DiMarco.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I feel like this team made it pretty clear that the run game was about to be prioritized. I think a lot of fans don’t want to hear it but it’s coming. The under 30 crowd thinks all you have to do is throw every play. That’s why we can’t hold leads. You gota be able to grind out clock. Especially when you are up late. This team needs more balance. Wether it’s popular or not...Lee Smith is about to bring that physicality 

I'm not disputing a role for the running game but the idea you must ground out the clock has been outdated for almost a decade now.  Brady and Belichick pioneered the 5 min offense of short safe passes to burn clock years ago.  It's easy to pass against a defense that is selling out to stop the run.  

18 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

*sigh*  It never fails to amaze me how arrogantly some fans write (maybe you don't intend it that way).  We sit in our armchairs and collate scraps of media info on players and watch the games, and not only do we know better than coaches what players are the best options, we know so much better that THOSE COACHES ARE STUPID! 

-Both Gilliam and Kroft play teams, but Gilliam plays more ST snaps than Kroft.  Gilliam had 6 blocked kicks in college.

-Trent Murphy also inactive, plays some teams and needs backfill

-Kroft came off the reserve/Covid list (as a close contact to Josh Norman) just in time for the bye and Tgiving off.  It's possible he has to work back into peak form a bit.

At a guess, when the coaches talk out who'll be active they consider the roster for all 3 phases of the game, their evaluation of each player that week, and the specific game plan.

All that said, my guess is that after each game, if McDermott can only identify one thing per game that in hindsight he sees as stupid, he probably thinks it's a good week.

Well, there you go.  DiMarco was an ST captain, so you're consistent in what phase of the game you don't pay much mind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm not disputing a role for the running game but the idea you must ground out the clock has been outdated for almost a decade now.  Brady and Belichick pioneered the 5 min offense of short safe passes to burn clock years ago.  It's easy to pass against a defense that is selling out to stop the run.  

It’s not outdated. I’m not asking for a run first offense. That is significantly outdated. I’m asking for the ability’s to run the ball once your ahead. Also to run the ball when a defense expects it. We can’t even run against pass defenses. Where they are handing you the run. That’s an issue. I love that Josh is having a great year. But we need more balance. Or we aren’t going to beat a physical defense.  You don’t need a balance of 50/50 but it needs to be more balanced then it is right now.

• Like (+1) 2