The Effect of the Bills on Dan Marino’s Postseason Success

JohnNord

I started comparing QB stats and came across Dan Marino.  I’d say he sort of had an interesting career stat wise - tremendous success early in his career, and NFL record for TD passes, and a Super Bowl appearance. 

For the rest of his career he put up very great numbers (though never as good as his first few seasons) but he never reached another Super Bowl.  Not only that but he only reached an AFC Championship Game one other time in 1993.  

All of this, yet Marino is still regarded as one of the best QB’s of all time and has the stats to make the argument.  Yet he had very limited success in terms of sustained post season success.  Miami was always a 10 or 11 win team under Marino, who occasionally won a Wildcard game, but barely got further than that.   

While I only followed his career occasionally, Im wondering why Marino didn’t achieve more success?  Was he a QB that just didn’t deliver in big games when he needed to?  Was Don Shula living on his past laurels from the 1970’s?  Or did the Miami organization not put enough talent around him?  

I also wonder if the Bills success during his prime derailed his chances to succeed (much like the Patriots of the past 20 years or so).  From what I can remember, every time it mattered the Bills and Jim Kelly beat Dan Marino - including 3 times in the playoffs.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

This happens in many sports, if you follow pro cycling, there was a guy named Eddy Merckx, he averaged winning every fourth or fifth race he started for a decade, not counting the bunches of top three finishes,  There were a bunch of very talented riders during that time that would have had his accolades had he not been there... just the way it goes in the world of sports when a better team or athlete is present. 

I get flamed for this but I’ll say it again: switch out Jim Kelly with Dan Marino and the Bills win at least 5 Super Bowls in his career. With the roster the Bills had there was no excuse for not winning a championship. Those Dolphins teams had no defense and, for the most part, burger flippers at the skill positions on offense. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I started comparing QB stats and came across Dan Marino.  I’d say he sort of had an interesting career stat wise - tremendous success early in his career, and NFL record for TD passes, and a Super Bowl appearance. 

For the rest of his career he put up very great numbers (though never as good as his first few seasons) but he never reached another Super Bowl.  Not only that but he only reached an AFC Championship Game one other time in 1993.  

All of this, yet Marino is still regarded as one of the best QB’s of all time and has the stats to make the argument.  Yet he had very limited success in terms of sustained post season success.  Miami was always a 10 or 11 win team under Marino, who occasionally won a Wildcard game, but barely got further than that.   

While I only followed his career occasionally, Im wondering why Marino didn’t achieve more success?  Was he a QB that just didn’t deliver in big games when he needed to?  Was Don Shula living on his past laurels from the 1970’s?  Or did the Miami organization not put enough talent around him?  

I also wonder if the Bills success during his prime derailed his chances to succeed (much like the Patriots of the past 20 years or so).  From what I can remember, every time it mattered the Bills and Jim Kelly beat Dan Marino - including 3 times in the playoffs.  

No need to wonder.  The Bills absolutely derailed Marino’s career and Miami’s chances at another Super Bowl.  The 90’s Bills were the better team and they were in Miami’s head all the time.  

I live in Fort Lauderdale and Dolphins fans swear up and down that if Marino had the roster the Bills had, the Phins go to multiple Super Bowls like the Bills did.

Marino never had a Thurman Thomas to hand the ball off to. For awhile they had Bernie Parmalee who they got from UPS I think.

And even though the Bills defense was average during that time, it was still better than the Phins. No Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, Darryl Talley etc. Phins fans also say if their defense was at the caliber it was in the late 90s/early 00s (under JJ and Wanny), they at the very least prevent the Bills from going to four straight.

Sometimes it's just roster talent. Would Marino have won a SB with the Bills? We'll never know.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

No need to wonder.  The Bills absolutely derailed Marino’s career and Miami’s chances at another Super Bowl.  The 90’s Bills were the better team and they were in Miami’s head all the time.  

This.  QBs don't do it all by themselves.  Marino was probably a better pure passer than Kelly.  But his supporting cast wasn't very good.

13 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

I get flamed for this but I’ll say it again: switch out Jim Kelly with Dan Marino and the Bills win at least 5 Super Bowls in his career. With the roster the Bills had there was no excuse for not winning a championship. Those Dolphins teams had no defense and, for the most part, burger flippers at the skill positions on offense. 

Actually from 1990-1999, the Dolphins overall defense was statistically ranked higher than the Bills 6 out of the 10 years. 

25 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Totally agree. But Marino was also apparently quite vocal about suppressing the run game. He either thought that passing was the best way to win or he just wanted to pad his stats. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

Great thrower.

It was his release that made him a pain in the *** to defend.  I can't count the number of times I thought he would get sacked and did not.

Sport is funny.  Maybe if he was a Bill, the Bills would not have gone to any Super Bowls.  It comes down to performing when you have to, not running up a bunch of stats.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Actually from 1990-1999, the Dolphins overall defense was statistically ranked higher than the Bills 6 out of the 10 years. 

Most of that was when Jimmy got there and they got Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Trace Armstrong, Tim Bowens, Sam Madison, Brock Marion, Patrick Surtain etc.

Even though the Bills defense was ranked #1 in 99, Miami wasn't too far behind that year IIRC. The Dolphins defense was TERRIBLE Shula's last few years.

Edited by EersN'Bills

11 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Thats a good stat. I was super young at the time, but maybe nostalgia has me overrating those 90s Bills' D'S. You think of the studs and even solid role players like Nate Odomes and Phil Hansen I think they underschieved quite a bit.

54 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

They had no running game at all...so late in games when they needed to burn clock and run the ball they couldn't. That puts a lot of stress on the QB.

In some ways they were designed to attack weaknesses of other teams being built to defend the run so much during that era and take advantage of matchups but in other ways they weren't good enough to do that as well as they could have been. They had no real TE threat.

And to answer your question, a large part was the Bills were simply a better team top to bottom than the Dolphins were. More HOF caliber players and more talent.

My opinion of the Dolphins during that time is that Shula gave Marino too much control and he would constantly check out of plays to passes.   It worked enough and he had enough cache that he was able to get away with it.  But when it came to games against good opponents like the Bills it did not work.  So many games against the Bills ended up with 4th quarter INT's thrown by Marino when trying to catch up.   The Dolphins often tried to focus more on the run game but Marino constantly derailed it.  I remember an interview when he was asked about it and said something like "running the ball is nice, we can do that once we are up by a couple touchdowns".   He was his own worst enemy....this was an era you truly needed to run and stop the run.

Edited by mattynh
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, mattynh said:

My opinion of the Dolphins during that time is that Shula gave Marino too much control and he would constantly check out of plays to passes.   It worked enough and he had enough cache that he was able to get away with it.  But when it came to games against good opponents like the Bills it did not work.  So many games against the Bills ended up with 4th quarter INT's thrown by Marino when trying to catch up.   The Dolphins often tried to focus more on the run game but Marino constantly derailed it.  I remember an interview when he was asked about it and said something like "running the ball is nice, we can do that once we are up by a couple touchdowns".   He was his own worst enemy....this was an era you truly needed to run and stop the run.

This. 
Seemed like Marino was more than happy to rack up stats and do isotoner commercials.  Bills were the tougher more blue collar team.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

Duper, Clayton and Jensen were "burger flippers"?

OK

Jim Kelly started punching Dan Marino's ticket in 1987....before Thurman, Lofton, Beebe and others were on the Bills roster.

Edited by Beast
  • Thank you (+1) 1