Denver forced to play with no QB

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thursday and Friday are irrelevant for contact tracing.

The guy who tested positive had the swab collected Weds. and the result was reported early AM on Thurs  - I think they get the results at 4:30 am or something like that.  The guy who tested positive never walked in the door on Thurs.

So any contacts had to have occurred on Weds - but they weren't reporting on the results until Saturday afternoon, when they sent the 3 QBs home?

That's bogus.  The way it's supposed to work is you get a positive result and you know who the contacts are right away, within hours - like when the Bills found out on Saturday am that Knox had tested positive on Friday, and within hours identified and isolated the close contacts, or a similar timeframe with Norman and his contacts.

You could say the same thing about the Ravens and about the Titans, and yet...games were rescheduled or delayed

Different circumstances. Those teams were having positive tests day after day...

This situation is due to contact tracing not positive tests.

7 minutes ago, Nitro said:

The shield will not want a lot of eyes on this.  It has the makings of an epic disaster.  Other games were moved.  Look at Ravens and Steelers.  Push back this game so they can sign a real QB

Why?  

To sign anyone they need a minimum of 5 days to even bring them into the facility - Are you pushing this game back to next Friday?

The current QBs as close contacts only will test negative and meet the requirements to play before the Broncos could get another QB into the facility.  The point has been they are not moving games because of competition issue - only medical issues and the Broncos do not have that as of now.

Edited by Rochesterfan

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Why?  

To sign anyone they need a minimum of 5 days to even bring them into the facility.  

The current QBs as close contacts only will test negative and meet the requirements to play before the Broncos could get another QB into the facility.  The point has been they are not moving games because of competition issue - only medical issues and the Broncos do not have that as of now.

Thus moving the game back.  The Ravens and Steelers was moved from Thursday to Tuesday.   It is a medical issue.  

Edited by Nitro

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

Maybe cause it has already been determined they broke protocol. They don't have QBs cause of positive tests....big difference in circumstance than the other rescheduled games

Didn't the Ravens also break protocol by not reporting symptoms?

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t get this - this is exactly consistent with how they have been handling these throughout the season.  We had Knox knock out the TE group and we had Norman knock out half the DBs.  The only difference is this is QBs and this is why some teams took extra precautions with the QB by having one Quarantined.

Titans and Ravens have games moved when there are additional positive cases spreading within the team - not a single player or two with identified contacts.

And we were lucky Kroft's wife went into labor, else he likely would have been out too.

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

I'm also having a hard time understanding why they moved Balt Pitt twice in the last week but another team has to play without a single QB. How does it work? Is there any explanation? It all seems very random and haphazard, giving the ugly appearance of favoritism. Royce Freeman is gonna be QB?

I live in Eugene and saw his whole college career, I can't recall him ever even throwing a pass. This doesn't seem right, not that I care about Denver. Fairness is important for the whole league.

The explanation would be Balt's entire facility was shut down until Monday, where here the rest of the team can keep practicing.  Believe there is some type of rule that players have to have a certain minimum number of practice  days, which can't occur if facility is closed.

Just now, Nitro said:

Thus moving the game back.  The Ravens and Steelers was moved from Thursday to Tuesday.  

So if they move it back where are you moving it to?  

A new QB coming in would potentially be cleared Thursday of next week and the contact QBs on COVID should technically be cleared by Wednesday or Thursday.

So if they push the game back to let’s say next Thursday for Denver/NO - that means they also would have to move the two teams next games back to a least Tuesday the following week.

Not to mention - this would breach the protocol used throughout the season so far - where every other team dealing is isolated breakouts had to play.  

It makes no sense - they are following exactly what they have done - Denver should play without their missing players just like everyone else.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nitro said:

If if makes no sense to you then that is too bad.

If it makes sense to you - then you are wrong sorry.  Review how the NFL has handled every situation that has occurred like the Broncos and explain why they should get preferential treatment when the every other team in that situation has been treated the same way.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Why not reschedule this one?

so many times I’ve posted it but...

there’s a difference between an outbreak of positive tests and contact protocol. 7 positive tests is way different than 1 guy being around 6 people, as an example.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Different circumstances. Those teams were having positive tests day after day...

This situation is due to contact tracing not positive tests.

When the contact tracing is delayed without isolating the contacts (which from the sound if it is what happened in Denver), long enough to get into the period where people can start to become infectious, you're potentially in an outbreak situation.

You just don't know it yet. 

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

so many times I’ve posted it but...

there’s a difference between an outbreak of positive tests and contact protocol. 7 positive tests is way different than 1 guy being around 6 people, as an example.

Agreed. but to my point about the exposure being Weds, the positive test returned Thurs am, and the QBs not identified as close contacts until Saturday afternoon - by not identifying and immediately isolating the close contacts, they aren't cleanly in the latter situation any more.

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I'm also having a hard time understanding why they moved Balt Pitt twice in the last week but another team has to play without a single QB. How does it work? Is there any explanation? It all seems very random and haphazard, giving the ugly appearance of favoritism. Royce Freeman is gonna be QB?

I live in Eugene and saw his whole college career, I can't recall him ever even throwing a pass. This doesn't seem right, not that I care about Denver. Fairness is important for the whole league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The explanation would be Balt's entire facility was shut down until Monday, where here the rest of the team can keep practicing.  Believe there is some type of rule that players have to have a certain minimum number of practice  days, which can't occur if facility is closed.

I'm not sure the NFL GAF about whether the facility is shut down and the team can practice.  But they're trying to stop the outbreak, so they need to keep players separated until they identify all the positives.

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It's a weird irony that the team that does worse is somehow better off for it.

Yeah, @whatdrought's quip that the Broncos woulda been better off setting up a kissing booth adjacent to the nearest Covid test center has an element of truth to it.

On the other hand, Baltimore now has 20 players on the reserve/Covid list

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30408556/baltimore-ravens-add-six-more-reserve-covid-19-list-total-18

"The coronavirus has decimated Baltimore's roster to the point where the Ravens are left with two quarterbacks, six offensive linemen and three defensive linemen on their current active and practice squad rosters. Baltimore has 52 available players -- 38 on its 53-man roster and 14 on the practice squad."

So it's hard to argue that they're in better shape.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

It's a weird irony that the team that does worse is somehow better off for it.

Exacatickly.  And we're supposed to believe that the Titans didn't know off site unorganized practices were forbidden.  93.7% of fans knew that but Talleywhacker and company had no idea.  Right.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

How would you feel if it was before a playoff game and it was the Bills QB's?

I would be mad at Beane, McDermott, and the Pegulas for not being better prepared for something that they should have had  a  contingency for.  But actually we do cuz we got Fromm in isolation for that very reason.

18 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I would be mad at Beane, McDermott, and the Pegulas for not being better prepared for something that they should have had  a  contingency for.  But actually we do cuz we got Fromm in isolation for that very reason.

The nfl won't allow playoff games to stop because of covid. Playoff games are all that matters to many eyes , they will either bubble up or delay games deep into the run. 

This is the dumbest thing I’ve seen.  The Ravens have an outbreak, I get it. What about the Pats and Titans?  

Honestly, at this point and how things are going, I’d cancel this week and next, and just push the season back. Let people get it together. 

8 hours ago, Success said:

I get that this is a tough year, and I'm grateful we have football.

But the league is terrible at this. It is NOT hard to set up standards:  if you're missing x players, or certain positions, the game gets postponed.

This is a complete double-standard when you look at what they did for the Ravens & Titans.  

The fact that they still allow players to go out umasked after the games and hug/shake hands with the other side of the field tells you all you need to know about the league and it's idiot commish.