Denver forced to play with no QB

7 hours ago, benderbender said:

Any reason why the Titan got off without even a slap on the wrist while all other teams get fined?

The team got fined over $300,000 - not exactly a slap.  Coaches also got fined.

The Raiders, the Pats, the Broncos have all also been fined.  The Ravens and the Broncos are going to get hit and I expect loss of draft picks also.

It’s pathetic that they have to play like this regardless of the circumstances. If the Bills were faced with this almost every fan would be pissed. They should have pushed the game back and have been allowed to bring in a QB. The Broncos offense is just horrible today. 

28 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

1 completion, 2 interceptions.

I hope you enjoyed that fiasco, Roger.

I don't really understand why they could not have moved it to Tuesday. Or even Monday... give them one extra day of practice?

Edit: Maybe the Broncos management did not want to move the game.

Edited by HalftimeAdjustment
Afterthought

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Any idea as to why the NFL was so firmly set against this?

Edit OK I see above. Unfair, teams could "store players as coaches".  Eh, if the only time the team is allowed to dress a coach is if the whole position group is knocked out of a game with a contagious disease, not much advantage there.  I'm not too impressed by "slippery slope" arguments when the slope in question is reached by a rare set of circumstances.  I think the NFL is kind of being ***** to the Ponies here. 

I agree but teams did that in past.  I think an exception is reasonable accommodation at this point.

I can also see Broncos playing but making little effort saying NFL gave them no chance to win and they treated it like a 4th preseason game.

5 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I don't really understand why they could not have moved it to Tuesday. Or even Monday... give them one extra day of practice?

Edit: Maybe the Broncos management did not want to move the game.

broncos would’ve loved it.

other than more fun to watch, what’s your reason to move it?

10 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

It’s pathetic that they have to play like this regardless of the circumstances. If the Bills were faced with this almost every fan would be pissed. They should have pushed the game back and have been allowed to bring in a QB. The Broncos offense is just horrible today. 

in theory it wouldn’t happen to the bills who are following a better protocol. Be mad at the team not the league.

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

they were subject to a 6 figure fine also.

Small cost compared to winning a game they would have a lot less chance to win with NFL ignoring many transitions. 

This is case where NFL needs outside arbitrator.  I am surprised that some players have not tried to go to court.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Small cost compared to winning a game they would have a lot less chance to win with NFL ignoring many transitions. 

This is case where NFL needs outside arbitrator.  I am surprised that some players have not tried to go to court.

what players would go to court with what claim?

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I agree but teams did that in past.  I think an exception is reasonable accommodation at this point.

I can also see Broncos playing but making little effort saying NFL gave them no chance to win and they treated it like a 4th preseason game.

I actually watched about 80% of this steaming piece of crap. I agree; that's on me.

To their credit: the Broncos played hard. The defense actually did a great job and exposed Taysom Hill as a backup/gadget guy, at least at this point in his development. The offense also played hard. Right up until the end we had wildcat QBs like Melvin Gordon and Royce Freeman breaking tackles and trying to make plays. But they literally could not complete a pass. There was one screen to TE Noah Fant that accounted for the 13 yards passing. They let the poor kid at QB -- he would come in on 3rd down after they ran wildcat with the RBs on 1st and 2nd -- heave the ball downfield a few times with predictable results (2 INTs). I realize the Broncos had almost zero preparation time, but I found it weird that they were lining up in the wildcat, snapping the ball directly to one of two RBs in the backfield, but with Fant (a poor blocking TE) and at least one WR on the field. They literally could not throw the ball ... why not just play an extra lineman as an eligible receiver? And almost stranger: the Saints had a man covering the WR even though the Broncs showed no inclination whatsoever to have the RBs throw the ball. 

I thought it would be weird and maybe fascinating in a shambolic way. Instead it was just ... boring. We should never let this happen again. Vic Fangio (Elway too) should be fired immediately for letting this happen.

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

What woulda happened if Denver was on the playoff bubble? Denver woulda been pretty pissed having to play with no QB while other teams games get changed.

It never would've happened if the Broncos (or the Saints) were on the playoff bubble. The NFL just did a big "who cares anyway, let's get the game in."