Denver forced to play with no QB

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

So you think they didn't consider Thursday and Friday in their contact tracing? I don't get it.

Thursday and Friday are irrelevant for contact tracing.

The guy who tested positive had the swab collected Weds. and the result was reported early AM on Thurs  - I think they get the results at 4:30 am or something like that.  The guy who tested positive never walked in the door on Thurs.

So any contacts had to have occurred on Weds - but they weren't reporting on the results until Saturday afternoon, when they sent the 3 QBs home?

That's bogus.  The way it's supposed to work is you get a positive result and you know who the contacts are right away, within hours - like when the Bills found out on Saturday am that Knox had tested positive on Friday, and within hours identified and isolated the close contacts, or a similar timeframe with Norman and his contacts.

48 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I mean do the Broncos have anyone but themselves to blame? They had all the QBs near each other without masks and without tracking devices much if the time.

You could say the same thing about the Ravens and about the Titans, and yet...games were rescheduled or delayed

The message I'm getting from the NFL is you're screwed if only a few players get COVID.........

but we'll bend over backwards for you if you're irresponsible enough to have it spread throughout a large percentage of your roster.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The message I'm getting from the NFL is you're screwed if only a few players get COVID.........

but we'll bend over backwards for you if you're irresponsible enough to have it spread throughout a large percentage of your roster.

Pretty much

2 hours ago, Success said:

I get that this is a tough year, and I'm grateful we have football.

But the league is terrible at this. It is NOT hard to set up standards:  if you're missing x players, or certain positions, the game gets postponed.

This is a complete double-standard when you look at what they did for the Ravens & Titans.  

So the NFL would assert that they do have standards, and here they are:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/En9IeIxWMAA5rhh?format=jpg&name=large

image.png.1d82db9c4a2b72646484ba426852644c.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Exactly. Broncos shoulda gotten out front of this and set up a kissing booth at the nearest test site. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So the NFL would assert that they do have standards, and here they are:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/En9IeIxWMAA5rhh?format=jpg&name=large

image.png.1d82db9c4a2b72646484ba426852644c.png

Here’s another one they seem happy to ignore:

“Protocol violations that result in virus spread requiring adjustments to the schedule or otherwise impacting other teams will result in additional financial and competitive discipline, including the adjustment or loss of draft choices or even the forfeit of a game,” Goodell wrote in the memo obtained by The Associated Press.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

“Protocol violations that result in virus spread requiring adjustments to the schedule or otherwise impacting other teams will result in additional financial and competitive discipline, including the adjustment or loss of draft choices or even the forfeit of a game,” Goodell wrote in the memo obtained by The Associated Press.

the Associated Press dropped off the last clause ", when it suits me."

17 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Being announced a sensation and future franchise QB when he hasn’t thrown a TD pass in his 5 or so professional years? 

I like him as a gimmick player. The hype around him as a QB is ridiculous.

I haven't seen that announced anywhere.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The guy who tested positive had the swab collected Weds. and the result was reported early AM on Thurs  - I think they get the results at 4:30 am or something like that.  The guy who tested positive never walked in the door on Thurs.

So any contacts had to have occurred on Weds - but they weren't reporting on the results until Saturday afternoon, when they sent the 3 QBs home?

That's bogus.  The way it's supposed to work is you get a positive result and you know who the contacts are right away, within hours - like when the Bills found out on Saturday am that Knox had tested positive on Friday, and within hours identified and isolated the close contacts, or a similar timeframe with Norman and his contacts.

So you are saying it isn't fair because they didn't have as much time to prepare?

That's what I'm saying. I think the rescheduling of games has been purely COVID related as new cases have continued to pop up day after day. I don't think they rescheduled any due to competitive disadvantage.

In this COVID season things are not always going to be fair.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

As always medical reason - in this case it is because commissioner has a hole in his head and will not force forfeits. 

A forfeit here makes no sense, if Denver wishes to play the game with their makep-up QB.    You still have to win the game. 

forfeit should happen if the Broncos are a risk to everyone else (with the pandemic) on the field

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

It needs to be said: 

I think you can believe that the broncos get what they deserve and they should have worn masks and have nobody but themselves to blame, AND that they’re being treated completely inconsistently and unfairly based on the BS that the league has done for other teams - including taking the Broncos bye week. 

Agreed, these things are not mutually exclusive.

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You could say the same thing about the Ravens and about the Titans, and yet...games were rescheduled or delayed

Hapless - absent some additional information coming out - the Denver issue seems to be different than others based upon the delay in identifying contacts and “film” review the NFL used - I think these are related.

My guess and it is only a guess, but based upon how the league has handled this situation: The positive came back on Thursday and the devices did not list any contacts and the discussed contact tracing (if they had followed stated protocol) was done and nothing was noted.  Standard and works just like how it happened with the Bills.

The league then begins reviews the film from the facility (most likely on Friday or Saturday morning) and notes that the QBs in question had the meeting but they did not wear masks as was stipulated in the protocol.  That fact then changes the contact tracing because now even though the time was less than would be considered a contact by the device - because it was inside with no masks (against protocol) they move them into the positive close contact situation (they are still most likely a very low risk for infection, but that would explain the change at the later date).  

As low risk contacts - they most likely are also now reviewing other potential contacts and may have determined none exist and as they are low risk: the medical information says everyone else should be fine and medical clearance is set to play.

That would be my take.  I think if Denver had properly followed protocol and masked during the meeting - the other QBs never get popped and there is no issue.  They either went without masks or took them off for a period of time and that changes the timing set on the device to identify close contacts.

3 hours ago, Beast said:

I said, early in the year, every team should have had a week off every fourth week. To get rest or for makeup games.

It would have stretched the season into March but, under the circumstances, would anyone care?

Great idea, except the NFLPA said sure as long as you pay the players for the weeks they are not playing. 

Easy to blame the league for everything, but sounds like the union played hardball with them and wouldn't allow them to do anything unless they got something in return, mainly money.

46 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Why do you think they will ignore this?

The Titans got fined, the Raiders got hit big time.  Neither happened immediately as the investigation and infection was ongoing.

My guess is once the Ravens game is set and the league can go back and review everything that happens - there will be huge fines, discipline for coaches, GMs, and the owner, and most likely the loss of draft picks.

The forfeit of a game will be a last step and only used in an extreme situation where nothing else can be done.  My guess is much like the Titans game - they will keep pushing to get it played, but if more players come back positive that will be the final step if they can’t push the game back further.

• Like (+1) 1