Lions fire HC Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

Agreed. I also work with data and I have come to the realization that you can use data and numbers to pretty much say anything you want. Data sets get sliced and diced and "cleaned" (or just outright ignored) until results are "statistically significant". And football stats are no different.

"Figures lie, and liars figure."

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Horse *****.

I say this as a lifelong numbers geek who spent a professional life analyzing numbers and presenting/interpreting data

Numbers are never meaningful in isolation.  They're always viewed and used in a context.  Pulling them out of context and throwing them around is bullgaffle, not objectivity.  Example: when someone starts to compare today's QB passing numbers to a 1980s era QB passing numbers, they're "objectively, better" but it's correctly pointed out that the passing game was different then, with different rules about roughing the passer and hitting defenseless players (receivers).

I didn't hear this.  Would like to hear more, got a reference?

None of what you posted denied that they are still objective. 

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Jeremy White said it best, recreating the "Patriot Way" really just meant treating everyone like crap and expecting them to buy-in. 

Players have said it was joyless in that building, being criticized constantly.  

Exactly.  People forget that Belichick's reign, if you want to call it that, in Cleveland, was pretty much a waste of everyone's time.  When he came to NE, 2000 was deliciously awful, and 2001 had all the potential of another thrilling losing season for the Pats until... dammit!!!  My only surprise is that he rolled with Newton this year.  Newton is the least "Patriot Way" guy I can think of, and really I wouldn't select Newton for my team the vast majority of the time these days.

21 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Jeremy White said it best, recreating the "Patriot Way" really just meant treating everyone like crap and expecting them to buy-in. 

Players have said it was joyless in that building, being criticized constantly.  

The "Patriot Way" is something apparently only Belichick can pull off.  It's his ability to adapt his schemes to fit his personnel that allows him to show players the door that don't respond well to the "joyless" environment.  Jamie Collins comes to mind.  How'd trading Hopkins work out for BOB?  He also gets players to buy in because he's already established himself as a winning coach so being a "hard ass" is something they're willing to except because they know it's a proven formula with him.  Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels tried that same approach as head coaches and failed miserably.  We'll see how Joe Judge does.  

On 11/29/2020 at 12:16 PM, FireChans said:

None of what you posted denied that they are still objective. 

Obtuse much? 

It sure feels like the Lions have done less with more than any team in the league.

Completely wasted Calvin Johnson, Stafford is not going to have anywhere near the success his talent or numbers would indicate, even now they look to have reloaded at skill talent with Swift / Hock / still having Golladay (for the time being) and still a complete train wreck.