Lions fire HC Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn

YoloinOhio

58 minutes ago, Augie said:

At some point, the fans need to fire the owners, or just walk away. Even their uniforms are hideous!  Only the Bengals can give their fans solace. 

Hmm. I don't mind their uniforms.

8 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I will wait on the Jets.  The owners likes Gase and Gase picked the GM.  

I am not convinced that they move on from Gase at the end of the year.  I think they allow the GM and Gase to decide on the roster for next year.  

The Jets hate having a lot of term on the contract when eliminating coaches and paying 2 guys at the same time. 

They should move on, but I am not sure they do.  I think they want the GM and HC to get the next QB.

Id be shocked.  I dont think even they are this disfunctional.  Get yourself a new coach and GM to pick THEIR qb at #1, and do NOT let Gase get within 5miles of him.  BUTTTTTTTT i hope youre right

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Beast said:

This is a long-time organizational problem.

The Lions have sucked my whole life and I'm 53 years old.

This is a Ford family issue. Not a GM or HC issue. Always has been always will be.

Wasted the best RB ever and most physically gifted WR 

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Wasted the best RB ever and most physically gifted WR 

And we’ve seen  teams win championship with way less talent at QB than stafford. What a shame if I’m stafford I asking for a trade think of him with the 49ers. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This might be an unpopular position but I think the Jets' job is going to be the best one out there next year.  Big market, Joe Douglas seems mostly competent, tons of draft picks including the 1st overall pick (more than likely), lots of cap space, and time to do a complete rebuild with no immediate pressure to win.  If you step into Houston they will expect you to win immediately because you have Watson. The problem is that Houston has mortgaged their future trading away many of their high draft picks on dubious Bill O'Brien personnel moves. 

I am not sure that is the expectation in Houston. It has been traditionally a patient franchise. In their 18 year history they have had 3 permanent Head Coaches and they know the new guy comes in with no number 1 or 2 pick in 2021. But get through that year and a lot of options are on the table there with the most important piece to build around. 

I do think the Jets job is attractive - chance to draft Trevor Lawrence, lots of cap space, other good picks in 2021, chance to live in NYC. The problems there are ownership and patience. I am not sure you will get as much time with the Jets as one would presume.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Beast said:

I think Daboll needs to show a lot more before he sniffs a HC job.

Let's not forget, defense isn't played all that much in today's NFL.

If I were an NFL owner I would need to see a lot more from Daboll at the moment. The offense is drastically improved this year, but just from a results stand point this is an anomaly in his career production. A second year showing the same consistency in passing attack and revamping the run game in the offseason, and I would be willing to pull the trigger. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Mango said:

If I were an NFL owner I would need to see a lot more from Daboll at the moment. The offense is drastically improved this year, but just from a results stand point this is an anomaly in his career production. A second year showing the same consistency in passing attack and revamping the run game in the offseason, and I would be willing to pull the trigger. 

Hey Mango!

Daboll is now, for better or worse, true or not, that most mythological of all offensive coaches,  a "quarterback whisperer".  He took Josh Allen who couldn't hit the ocean with a football while standing in a rowboat and brought him along to a near 70% completion rate QB.  A team that is drafting a new QB who has some rough edges may look at what Daboll has done with Josh and think it's a wise move to bring him in. 

In fairness, I think Daboll does deserves credit for some of Allens' development over the last three seasons but I'm of the opinion that Allen deserves the majority of the credit himself.  He has spent big chunks of the off season paying out of pocket to work with his own QB coach, actually relocating to be close to Palmer during the off season.  He has spent hundreds of hours studying defenses so he can be more mentally nimble on the field and has done every single thing he possibly could to get better at his craft.  Daboll is not responsible for that competitiveness and that work ethic or that will to succeed.  That is all inside of Josh.

Let's contrast Josh attitude with this little gem from Baker Mayfield at the end of last season.  I don't think Daboll would be having the same amount of success if he was Baker's OC.

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-baker-mayfield-declares-he-wont-work-with-throwing-coach-in-offseason-195337203.html

Having said that, I think Daboll has impressed a lot of people in the League with how he has helped Josh come along (deservedly so) and I would be shocked if he doesn't get a HC offer this off season.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Hey Mango!

Daboll is now, for better or worse, true or not, that most mythological of all offensive coaches,  a "quarterback whisperer".  He took Josh Allen who couldn't hit the ocean with a football while standing in a rowboat and brought him along to a near 70% completion rate QB.  A team that is drafting a new QB who has some rough edges may look at what Daboll has done with Josh and think it's a wise move to bring him in. 

In fairness, I think Daboll does deserves credit for some of Allens' development over the last three seasons but I'm of the opinion that Allen deserves the majority of the credit himself.  He has spent big chunks of the off season paying out of pocket to work with his own QB coach, actually relocating to be close to Palmer during the off season.  He has spent hundreds of hours studying defenses so he can be more mentally nimble on the field and has done every single thing he possibly could to get better at his craft.  Daboll is not responsible for that competitiveness and that work ethic or that will to succeed.  That is all inside of Josh.

Let's contrast Josh attitude with this little gem from Baker Mayfield at the end of last season.  I don't think Daboll would be having the same amount of success if he was Baker's OC.

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-baker-mayfield-declares-he-wont-work-with-throwing-coach-in-offseason-195337203.html

Having said that, I think Daboll has impressed a lot of people in the League with how he has helped Josh come along (deservedly so) and I would be shocked if he doesn't get a HC offer this off season.

Oh I agree with everything you said. I am not saying I do not get why his name is being brought up, I do. Also not trying to give credit/take anything away from Allen's improvement. I would just want to see more success/consistency, making sure this is not a flash before I would hand him the keys to my franchise.  

• Like (+1) 1

Patricia will not be our. DC.  McD is. Happy even if some here are not with Frazier’s performance.  Recently, even Sal said specifically on the Hawks game, we took the gloves off and became more aggressive.  I like what he was saying in that. McD is finally trusting this offense to keep up in scoring so the defense can take more chances.

Its not a surprise they fired these guys, although Kirwan even mentioned it’s not like anyone they would want can talk to them during the season.  About the only thing these firings mid season is put the players on notice, you are playing for you’re job as new management and coaching means no one owes you anything and doesn’t care about letting you go.

• Like (+1) 1