Lions fire HC Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn

YoloinOhio

Was coming. Houston is the best job. Yea you are draft deficient in year 1 but you inherit a roster with a top 5 QB and only one other player who you are "stuck with" in Tunsil. It is a pretty blank sheet of paper. I'd try and re-sign Fuller if I could but beyond that you can build it up with your own guys.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Might as well include the Jets. 

it’s tough to say which is the best or worst open position.

the falcons don’t really have any talent on the roster, but their owner is considered top notch.

The lions have stafford who is above average and also have some weapons on offense, but their ownership is terrible

the Texans have the best QB of the bunch by far, but don’t have any draft capital as mentioned already 

and the Jets are absolutely horrible, but they will Atleast have the number 1 pick.

id probably pick the Texans out of all them if I was a HC candidate, since they have Watson and are in the weaker division of these teams listed 

Edited by GETTOTHE50

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

you could say the same about RW for the most part other than late 80's to late 90's  Kind of interesting both from Detroit, must be in the water.

He's not alone.  So far Flores looking like the exception, but need to see more than one year of success too.

Bills had some good teams in the late 70s/early 80s.

Also the AFL Bills won championships.

But mostly correct.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Was coming. Houston is the best job. Yea you are draft deficient in year 1 but you inherit a roster with a top 5 QB and only one other player who you are "stuck with" in Tunsil. It is a pretty blank sheet of paper. I'd try and re-sign Fuller if I could but beyond that you can build it up with your own guys.

I agree...and Watson is younger than the other QBs. Missing picks in your first draft isn't ideal but should be able to overcome it relatively quickly...

Atlanta has some offensive talent but Ryan is getting up there in age.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BearNorth said:

Daboll paired with Watson would be very interesting for sure.

I think Daboll needs to show a lot more before he sniffs a HC job.

Let's not forget, defense isn't played all that much in today's NFL.

13 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Might as well include the Jets. 

it’s tough to say which is the best or worst open position.

the falcons don’t really have any talent on the roster, but their owner is considered top notch.

The lions have stafford who is above average and also have some weapons on offense, but their ownership is terrible

the Texans have the best QB of the bunch by far, but don’t have any draft capital as mentioned already 

and the Jets are absolutely horrible, but they will Atleast have the number 1 pick.

id probably pick the Texans out of all them if I was a HC candidate, since they have Watson and are in the weaker division of these teams listed 

I will wait on the Jets.  The owners likes Gase and Gase picked the GM.  

I am not convinced that they move on from Gase at the end of the year.  I think they allow the GM and Gase to decide on the roster for next year.  

The Jets hate having a lot of term on the contract when eliminating coaches and paying 2 guys at the same time. 

They should move on, but I am not sure they do.  I think they want the GM and HC to get the next QB.

Edited by Rochesterfan

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

I think Daboll needs to show a lot more before he sniffs a HC job.

Let's not forget, defense isn't played all that much in today's NFL.

Being a good OC/DC has really nothing to do with being a good HC. Completely different skill sets.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. 1 year without a top pick hurts. But they aren’t a franchise that needs one pick to turn it around. They need to grab a couple solid vets to turn that defense from horrific to just bad. That would be good enough to rebound to a .500 or 9-7 season. 

I have to say I do feel sorry for Lions fans. I've been watching football since the mid 80s and they've never had a genuinely good team. The closest they came to success in that time was reaching the championship game with Sanders and Erik Kramer and even then it was a done deal that Washington would beat them up (man I wish we'd played them in the Super Bowl that year). 

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Being a good OC/DC has really nothing to do with being a good HC. Completely different skill sets.

It may or may not have anything to do with being a good HC but a first time HC probably isn't even getting a sniff at an interview without being a good OC/DC.

35 minutes ago, Beast said:

This is a long-time organizational problem.

The Lions have sucked my whole life and I'm 53 years old.

This is a Ford family issue. Not a GM or HC issue. Always has been always will be.

I lived in Michigan for several years and couldn't agree with you more.  They've had a bunch of talented players and have nothing to show for it.  Bad ownership selected a long string of very bad GM's that have kept the team in a constant state of turmoil.  This won't change until the Ford family steps away from the team.  It is a very similar situation to the Bills during Ralph's last few years of owning the team.

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yep. 1 year without a top pick hurts. But they aren’t a franchise that needs one pick to turn it around. They need to grab a couple solid vets to turn that defense from horrific to just bad. That would be good enough to rebound to a .500 or 9-7 season. 

And in a division without a real dominant team.

This is something that should have been done a year ago, I’m 61 years old and the lions have either been bad or really bad during my life, think about it, how does a team have Barry Sanders during that day and age and essentially go no where? 
Ownership rivals the Jets for their bad decision making. That and a branch of the Belichick coaching tree hits the forest floor, and that is nothing but good. Feel bad for their fans, they have endured many many years of bad.