Mitch Morse will start at Center

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

Doc,  curious how you came to this conclusion?  

I think either Josh actually said it or someone who knows the situation said it.  And when Morse went down, they played Bates for the rest of the drive (a TD drive), and then went to Mongo.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I think either Josh actually said it or someone who knows the situation said it.  And when Morse went down, they played Bates for the rest of the drive (a TD drive), and then went to Mongo.

I don't think that's been said so I'm curious where it came from.  It is clear they liked Mongo over Bates for the NE game but a lot of game and opponent specific things coulda gone into that.

On 11/27/2020 at 8:58 AM, TroutDog said:

I’m pleased about this. The entire situation seemed strange to me as he’s a solid member of the line and they need to put their best out there. 

It’s not strange, the dude has been concussed so many times he is closing in on end of career concussion discussions. They were right in being cautious. Mitch has had 5 career concussions in 6 years. That’s close to hang it up territory. I seriously believe if he has one more he may retire. 

3 hours ago, Locomark said:

It’s not strange, the dude has been concussed so many times he is closing in on end of career concussion discussions. They were right in being cautious. Mitch has had 5 career concussions in 6 years. That’s close to hang it up territory. I seriously believe if he has one more he may retire. 

I grasp that but this was the team making the decision, not him. He’s on your team so you play the best people you have. If he wants to retire, I completely get it but that’s a separate issue. 

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think that's been said so I'm curious where it came from.  It is clear they liked Mongo over Bates for the NE game but a lot of game and opponent specific things coulda gone into that.

I remember watching the game and seeing Bates for the remainder of that first series on which they score a touchdown thinking that he would stay at center. And then Feliciano came in and played the rest of the game. I didn’t understand it seeing as how they had just scored a touchdown and they testing here all season and healthy and practicing whereas Feliciano had just returned.  And then somebody said that Josh trusts him and it made some sense.  I believe it was in the game day thread. 

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

I remember watching the game and seeing Bates for the remainder of that first series on which they score a touchdown thinking that he would stay at center. And then Feliciano came in and played the rest of the game. I didn’t understand it seeing as how they had just scored a touchdown and they testing here all season and healthy and practicing whereas Feliciano had just returned.  And then somebody said that Josh trusts him and it made some sense.  I believe it was in the game day thread. 

It might be true, I just don't think it's something that Josh or anyone else on the Bills has said.  I don't think it's the kind of thing Josh would say.  He's far too people savvy for that.

IMO it was more likely to be a protections issue - they had more faith in Mongo than in Bates to sort out the confusing defenses the Pats were gonna put out there at some point during the game.  When healthy last season, Mongo did win the backup center position over Bates and it wasn't close. 

Also being short-handed, if they wanted him to last all game he had a better chance at center where, as he put it "I have help on both sides"

8 hours ago, Locomark said:

What a guy says publicly and what he feels privately may differ, but publicly Morse has said stuff like he'll be fine, and if he gets another concussion he'll be fine because he does things the right way.  He's a smart guy and I believe he's done his research and made his decisions.  I bet he's the guy that Chef Darian Bryan mentioned will only eat organic chicken breasts and grass-fed beef without fat.  Wouldn't surprise me if he has a hyperbaric chamber and chugs those "veteran" turmeric shots.  I think as long as he's medically cleared, he'll play.

On 11/28/2020 at 1:40 PM, Doc said:

Mongo played RG last year.  Might as well put him back there and keep Boettger at LG, where he's already been playing.

Looks like they think Winters is better than Ike. Mongo was at LG and Winters at RG all game.