Mitch Morse will start at Center

YoloinOhio

On 11/27/2020 at 7:17 AM, Doc said:

It wasn't strange.  People just made more out of it for some reason.

No they didn't. McD caused the issue by calling it a football decision to not play the second highest paid center in the league. He was cleared to play and dressed. If McD wanted to give him another week before the bye he could have just had him not dress for the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

No they didn't. McD caused the issue by calling it a football decision to not play the second highest paid center in the league. He was cleared to play and dressed. If McD wanted to give him another week before the bye he could have just had him not dress for the game. 

The issue is how you are interpreting his words. Just take him at face value. He sat Morse for a "football decision". Now Morse is starting. You can talk about what it all means if you want, but you don't know. No need to guess.

Now, if Morse is benched going forward or the oline starts struggling overall, then some additional discussion is warranted. But honestly, I don't see the point in making mountain out of a mole hill as things stand.

• Like (+1) 2

It ultimately doesn't matter because Cody Ford was injured. But I think it isn't outrageous to wonder aloud that McDermott liked what he had in Feliciano at Center and may have intended to start him at Center and Ford at Guard. 

I think Morse at Center and Feliciano at Guard is a better combo anyway in terms of putting the best 5 players out there, but there's really no way to say that Morse who was medically cleared and active wasn't benched when his keister was physically on the bench warming it up.

• Like (+1) 1

None of us will ever know what the coaches grading was relative to Feliciano v. Morse at center,  or Boettger v. Ford at LG.  I would take PFF and fan opinion with a grain of salt.  

The negative comments on Winter seem unwarranted too.  While not a start performer, he has been very useful given the injuries to Feliciano, Ford, Morse and the fall of Spain.   

I am happy with the depth we brought to the OL this year.  We seem to have done better job on OL than on the DL.   

24 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They dressed him for depth due to concern on other injuries on the OL.   The “football  decision” was to keep the momentum going that the OL had, there was no need to put Morse at any more risk with a bye coming.  Cleared to play is very subjective when it comes to concussions and of course McD is not going to say that publicly.  

Why is this so hard to understand?  

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Missing almost 2 full games and a day of practice made continuing to start Feliciano a better football decision from their standpoint.  Also per special rules this year, if you have 8 OL active you can dress 48 players (2 more than usual), so while he may have been cleared, he may still not have been 100% and thus it was a football decision to dress but not play him.  I don't know.  But what I do know is he's back starting.

3 minutes ago, Pasaluki said:

It ultimately doesn't matter because Cody Ford was injured. But I think it isn't outrageous to wonder aloud that McDermott liked what he had in Feliciano at Center and may have intended to start him at Center and Ford at Guard. 

I think Morse at Center and Feliciano at Guard is a better combo anyway in terms of putting the best 5 players out there, but there's really no way to say that Morse who was medically cleared and active wasn't benched when his keister was physically on the bench warming it up.

Cody doesn't factor into anything.  He's barely played since the KC game.  And if they liked him so much to put him in the starting lineup, they could have put him at LG, while still starting Morse at C and Feliciano at RG.

I think it had to due with his concussions.. now I’m sure that the fact that our line played so well without him factored into it.. but I believe McDermott and Beane wanted to give Morse way more time than necessary to heal up.. Why? Because they’re going to get rid of him first chance they get this offseason.. If Morse were to get hurt to the point where he couldn’t play football again, Buffalo would be on the hook for millions and millions of dollars.. If Morse is healthy we have an out in his contract this offseason and he can be released without much of a hit at all.. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Link?

Google's your friend, but for example:

image.thumb.png.43de89d06239a33801d9f8aa7c561e80.png

Even on "day off", in a typical season a number of players report to the building for further treatment, for a "recovery workout", or to watch film on their own.  They just don't normally have scheduled meetings or practices

Edit: here's another one

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1756606-an-inside-look-at-game-week-in-the-nfl

1 hour ago, MJS said:

The issue is how you are interpreting his words. Just take him at face value. He sat Morse for a "football decision". Now Morse is starting. You can talk about what it all means if you want, but you don't know. No need to guess.

Now, if Morse is benched going forward or the oline starts struggling overall, then some additional discussion is warranted. But honestly, I don't see the point in making mountain out of a mole hill as things stand.

I was just responding to the post that said the board was making a big deal of it.  Any hint of benching (and football decision is a hint) the second highest paid center in the league and a key free agent acquisition is big news.  It just is.  

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Google's your friend, but for example:

image.thumb.png.43de89d06239a33801d9f8aa7c561e80.png

Even on "day off", in a typical season a number of players report to the building for further treatment, for a "recovery workout", or to watch film on their own.  They just don't normally have scheduled meetings or practices

Edit: here's another one

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1756606-an-inside-look-at-game-week-in-the-nfl

Those are from 7+ years ago.  What I've seen is McD say many times after a win "you have Monday off, see you Tuesday."

23 hours ago, NickelCity said:

We all want boet instead of Winters. Do we think they'll actually do it? This coaching staff is sometimes painfully slow to do the obvious thing.

So should Bills take lineup from fans.

Maybe you have played Pokemon too much.

22 hours ago, TBBills said:

You are a funny man.

Like a funny bone hit by a crowbar.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/27/2020 at 11:36 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

This was always our #1 OL. It's just taken drama, experimentation and injuries to finally get to it. Leave Winters on the bench where he belongs and if someone goes down use Bates. Let's not overthink this. 

Is Ike just as capable of playing RG? I like him better than Winters for sure, and also like running to the left behind Dawk and Mango.

5 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Is Ike just as capable of playing RG? I like him better than Winters for sure, and also like running to the left behind Dawk and Mango.

Mongo played RG last year.  Might as well put him back there and keep Boettger at LG, where he's already been playing.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I was just responding to the post that said the board was making a big deal of it.  Any hint of benching (and football decision is a hint) the second highest paid center in the league and a key free agent acquisition is big news.  It just is.  

Not when you consider the injury and the short week of practice, in my opinion.

14 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Hes coming off his 50th concussion. He sat the bench knowing it would give him another 2 full weeks to recover.

Sure sounds like something you could file under "football decision". Hes been our 2nd best lineman all year, he didn't get benched 😆😆😆. WATCH. THE. TAPE.

Large exaggeration there.  Are you sure you have not had 50 concussions?

4 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

None of us will ever know what the coaches grading was relative to Feliciano v. Morse at center,  or Boettger v. Ford at LG.  I would take PFF and fan opinion with a grain of salt.  

I would take PFF and fan opinions with a ton of salt.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I have no problem with the lineup that they are rolling with....if if god forbid someting happens to Morse can we PLEASE leave Mongo at OG and bring in Bates at center

Bates is HIGHLY under rated

I agree. But Josh feels more comfortable with Mongo at Center.