Cody Ford out for the Season

16 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Fan deflection mode.  Buffalo had a first round grade on a tweener and moved up that year to grab him.  

Teams that more readily prioritize guards, safeties, linebackers, DT's, and RBs (as Buffalo has) are left behind quickly in the modern NFL.  And it wasn't like Metcalf's abilities were unknown.  You take a WR with that skill set based on potential before you select the plodding guards who might have some potential because not all positions are valued the same.  Case in point: How many 6'4 230# who run 4.4s are there versus tweener OL types with average movement ability?   

Re Ford: Not all his fault the injury occurred, but he's been hurt with a torn labrum last year and now a tear in the meniscus.  That, combined it unclear where he plays doesn't bode well for his long term future.  

I’m a firm believer that complete football teams win Super Bowls.. For a team like Buffalo, since we have a dominant defensive oriented staff whom can draft defense very well.. I think you pay more of a premium on offensive talent.. Pay your stars on offense, they’re harder for you to come by.. If McD can find guys like Milano and Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson later in the draft then it makes no sense to overpay players on the defensive side of the ball.. Sure, I can see a few big signings on defense.. Poyer, Tre and perhaps a stud DE if we can find one.. but don’t lock up too much of your assets on that side of the ball.. Keep drafting them and cherry pick the exceptional talents..

3 hours ago, NickelCity said:

A number of us liked Teller. He had shown flashes iirc. I understood the trade if he wasn't in our plans, but it doesn't look good in hindsight. 

Ah well, win some lose some

Yes, a lot of people were high on Teller. He was a young player and definitely showed some potential before he was traded. It's weird because they gave Boettger time to develop but not Teller.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Everyone passed on Metcalf. Which means every GM in the league doesn't meet your standards.

You are full of crap.

I'd debate you about the assertion of "every GM" but I'm confident it would go unabated through both ear holes.  

Have a nice day.  

1 hour ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Every team in the league passed on him at least once, because there were questions about his game translating to the NFL. He's answered those questions (AND HOW!). Good for him.

It's not an exact science. If Beane had drafted DK, maybe his development would have taken a different path, since it would be a different coaching staff and QB. You just never know.

I've been told for several years now how the draft is a total crapshoot so as to deflect from the Bills missing on players.    

Never gets old.  

The second point was made in reference to Mahomes just days ago.  Buffalo has a major need at a position, eschews the player being debated, chooses a lesser player at perhaps a less important position, and fans 1-3 years later defend it with the "he wouldn't have developed the same in Buffalo."  

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Drafting Cody and passing on DK, plus trading Wyatt .... not Beane’s finest hour

Yes because GM's should get them all right

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Fan deflection mode.  Buffalo had a first round grade on a tweener and moved up that year to grab him.  

Teams that more readily prioritize guards, safeties, linebackers, DT's, and RBs (as Buffalo has) are left behind quickly in the modern NFL.  And it wasn't like Metcalf's abilities were unknown.  You take a WR with that skill set based on potential before you select the plodding guards who might have some potential because not all positions are valued the same.  Case in point: How many 6'4 230# who run 4.4s are there versus tweener OL types with average movement ability?   

Re Ford: Not all his fault the injury occurred, but he's been hurt with a torn labrum last year and now a tear in the meniscus.  That, combined it unclear where he plays doesn't bode well for his long term future.  

Its not fan deflection....the fact of the matter is GM's dont get EVERY pick right.....you hope that they get the majority of their picks right.

Beane has actually done a pretty good job of that

20 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I'd debate you about the assertion of "every GM" but I'm confident it would go unabated through both ear holes.  

Have a nice day.  

I've been told for several years now how the draft is a total crapshoot so as to deflect from the Bills missing on players.    

Never gets old.  

The second point was made in reference to Mahomes just days ago.  Buffalo has a major need at a position, eschews the player being debated, chooses a lesser player at perhaps a less important position, and fans 1-3 years later defend it with the "he wouldn't have developed the same in Buffalo."  

I have no idea if Mahommes would be the same in Buffalo......I tend to believe he would still be great

but

At the end of the day......this turned into a pro bowl corner and Josh Allen.....who most certainly will be in the pro bowl this year

Beane did ok here I think

Edited by John from Riverside

58 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I’m a firm believer that complete football teams win Super Bowls.. For a team like Buffalo, since we have a dominant defensive oriented staff whom can draft defense very well.. I think you pay more of a premium on offensive talent.. Pay your stars on offense, they’re harder for you to come by.. If McD can find guys like Milano and Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson later in the draft then it makes no sense to overpay players on the defensive side of the ball.. Sure, I can see a few big signings on defense.. Poyer, Tre and perhaps a stud DE if we can find one.. but don’t lock up too much of your assets on that side of the ball.. Keep drafting them and cherry pick the exceptional talents..

Complete football teams do not necessarily win Super Bowls.  The 2015 Broncos are a fine example, with a QB in his final season and clearly a shell of what he used to be. They had, for that season, an outstanding defense.  

On the flip side there's the 2018 Chiefs who were an offside away from a trip to the Big Game.  That team was porous on defense, but had the NFL MVP throwing passes to top skill players.

I would like someone to, for once, point out a dominant defense that remained together for more than 4 years.  The reason none exist is because keeping a defensive unit intact is far more difficult than finding the QB who is a force multiplier of talent around them.  If Pete Carroll and John Schneider couldn't do it, how would McBeane?  

Problem is, good defenders want to get paid after their rookie deal and that means you've got to mine talent later in the draft almost every year  Already in this thread I've been told the draft is a crapshoot, so it stands to reason leaning on late round picks is just that.  Even McD and Beane aren't finding long term starters in the 4th round or later every year.  They, like most GM's, are finding it hard to do so in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.  

If retaining a solid defense were straightforward and done through "Drafting them and cherry pick(ing) the exceptional talents" Buffalo would be a top 10 defense 4 years into the McD regime.  But they're not.  So keep loading up on offense and riding Josh Allen.  We've seen the strategy on defense doesn't work with McD making decisions.  Go back to last year's WC game.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Drafting Cody and passing on DK, plus trading Wyatt .... not Beane’s finest hour

Geesh Al, if that take was any hotter the whole site would catch fire. Are you saying that Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis Mckittric, are a bunch of jags? Cause Beane acquired all of them, and the big rookie slot guy who is back from the IR by the way...just yikes... as well Teller was no great shakes while he was here, as you well know. 

Go Bills!!!

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Kindve wish they didn’t jump the gun and release him. Not surprising they are down Guards now. 

They were going to pay him anyways and that stunt of being unavailable when he got to Tennessee should have been punished by Bills.

Since they were going to pay him anyways simple solution was putting him on IR for three weeks - he could not claim not to be not injured and refusing to play without being able to be penalized.

Yes I understand the Bills are trying for a different reputation but when a player just got a new contract and then did not want to fulfill requirements they need to prevent players from taking advantage of Bills as they have done in past.

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I hate this logic....as if every team in the league had the same WR situation as the Bills. It doesn’t work that way.

Unarguably Beane has done a very good job acquiring wide receivers, this DK argument is a red herring, is DK good? Yes, is our receivers group among the tops in the league? Yes, so what’s the argument here?  It doesn’t matter how you get talent, it only matters that you get it, oh and didn’t we beat DKs team? Asking for a friend.., 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

The argument is they could’ve had a 2nd round stud instead of using assets to trade for one and wasting that same 2nd round pick on a struggling interior offensive lineman....something you don’t waste high draft picks on.

Beane drafted Allen so he’s good in my book but his other picks have been lackluster. 

Every GM misses picks when examined in hind sight, every one of them! for the entire history of the league all GMs have missed opportunities, the argument is pretty darn weak, our receivers Corp is very good and Russ having DK didn’t beat the Bills, its a very silly argument at this point. 

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Complete football teams do not necessarily win Super Bowls.  The 2015 Broncos are a fine example, with a QB in his final season and clearly a shell of what he used to be. They had, for that season, an outstanding defense.  

On the flip side there's the 2018 Chiefs who were an offside away from a trip to the Big Game.  That team was porous on defense, but had the NFL MVP throwing passes to top skill players.

I would like someone to, for once, point out a dominant defense that remained together for more than 4 years.  The reason none exist is because keeping a defensive unit intact is far more difficult than finding the QB who is a force multiplier of talent around them.  If Pete Carroll and John Schneider couldn't do it, how would McBeane?  

Problem is, good defenders want to get paid after their rookie deal and that means you've got to mine talent later in the draft almost every year  Already in this thread I've been told the draft is a crapshoot, so it stands to reason leaning on late round picks is just that.  Even McD and Beane aren't finding long term starters in the 4th round or later every year.  They, like most GM's, are finding it hard to do so in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.  

If retaining a solid defense were straightforward and done through "Drafting them and cherry pick(ing) the exceptional talents" Buffalo would be a top 10 defense 4 years into the McD regime.  But they're not.  So keep loading up on offense and riding Josh Allen.  We've seen the strategy on defense doesn't work with McD making decisions.  Go back to last year's WC game.

I think you’re right to a degree.. I agree to a certain extent.. I see what you’re saying, I really do.. I think 60% of the money should go to offense and say 40% go to the D.. With that said, I’d kill to have one of the Bosa brothers or Myles Garrett on this team or an Aaron Donald or a young n healthy JJ Watt.. that’s where I draw the line.. especially at DE, CB, SS or MLB — I’d spend money for elite players at this position.. Donald is the exception at DT though.. I’d prefer space eaters at that position.. And those guys usually don’t cost much.. Tre Day and Poyer is money well spent though.. But sure.. most of the money should go to O..

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Except the Bills had a mediocre at best WR corps when DK was sitting there with their 2nd round pick.... it would’ve made a lot of sense for a team looking to help its young QB instead of trading up for a Guard who’s struggling to find a position in the NFL.

Fans don’t want to hear it but it was a bad use of resources by Beane. It just was. 

And it no longer matters in this case, it just is. 

A missed opportunity by a GM is not permanent, as was shown by the Bills example, it’s a fruitless endeavor to argue this red herring, any perceived mis step has been nullified by other actions. 

Just now, Don Otreply said:

And it no longer matters in this case, it just is. 

A missed opportunity by a GM is not permanent, as was shown by the Bills example, it’s a fruitless endeavor to argue this red herring, any perceived mis step has been nullified by other actions. 

You must hate the post game threads.

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They needed to sacrifice a first round pick and some others....because they didn’t draft DK...

You spend an inordinate amount of time doing the shoulda woulda coulda thing, Its like banging your head against a wall and wondering why it hurts... later 

Go Bills!!!

6 minutes ago, Chemical said:

You must hate the post game threads.

They are not as bad as the game threads, which are boarder line pathetic, 😂 although they are sometimes informative, well, to a degree anyway... 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

12 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Teller doesn't develop much like that entire Cleveland oline without the most underrated position coach in the NFL.

Bill Callahan.  

Everywhere he goes offensive lines get good...really really good.  Not sure what Teller is exactly right now and I have no idea where he'd be if he were still here.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Fans don’t want to hear it but it was a bad use of resources by Beane. It just was. 

Fans have no choice to hear unless they close their eyes but would would listen more if most of what you post was not criticisms.  When you shout "suck" most of time listeners think you want a bottle. It is just the way it is.