Cody Ford out for the Season

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Yikes... guess we won’t know what we have in him until Year 3.  

This is why you build depth..  I’m still high on an OL of Dawkins-Boettger-Morse-Feliciano-Williams.  

Hopefully their Winters obsession chills out. 

First of all I think we already know what we have in Ford and it's not worthy of a 2nd round pick. I too would prefer Boet over Winters.

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

This is a lazy take-I think the Metcalf vs Ford debate has some merit, but Teller had shown nothing and people were excited that the Bills got anything done him 

It was also publicized Teller has ADHD which is something he has always needed to deal with.  Not sure if it was affecting his play with the Bills and if it had anything to do with moving him, but it's possible he has learned to control that better in the NFL and it has contributed to his better play.  Him and Josh seemed very close - I remember when Teller left thinking Josh must be disappointed. 

Haven't read through this entire thread, but just wanted to say this:

I'm not ready to give up on Cody Ford or call him a bust. 

He finally got to play what is most likely his best position this year for the first time as a pro. It came after a weird and truncated offseason, and he only got to do it a few times before he tore his meniscus.

I'd like to see what he can do with a full, regular offseason at his new position before I'm ready to declare anything on him. I still think he can be an above average guard. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't see this as a big blow at all... the drop off from Ford to Boetteger is minimal if that's the route they go....

But what about the backup to Boetteger?  Boetteger has been improving steadily with reps to help.  It appears that Winters will be backup to both positions.

I wish Quinton Spain did not have a hissy fit for being demoted from starting lineup and the Bills basically paying for Bengals lineman.

3 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

This is a lazy take-I think the Metcalf vs Ford debate has some merit, but Teller had shown nothing and people were excited that the Bills got anything done him 

A number of us liked Teller. He had shown flashes iirc. I understood the trade if he wasn't in our plans, but it doesn't look good in hindsight. 

Ah well, win some lose some

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Yeah, all he needed was a crystal ball.

Fan deflection mode.  Buffalo had a first round grade on a tweener and moved up that year to grab him.  

Teams that more readily prioritize guards, safeties, linebackers, DT's, and RBs (as Buffalo has) are left behind quickly in the modern NFL.  And it wasn't like Metcalf's abilities were unknown.  You take a WR with that skill set based on potential before you select the plodding guards who might have some potential because not all positions are valued the same.  Case in point: How many 6'4 230# who run 4.4s are there versus tweener OL types with average movement ability?   

Re Ford: Not all his fault the injury occurred, but he's been hurt with a torn labrum last year and now a tear in the meniscus.  That, combined it unclear where he plays doesn't bode well for his long term future.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Fan deflection mode.  Buffalo had a first round grade on a tweener and moved up that year to grab him.  

Teams that more readily prioritize guards, safeties, linebackers, DT's, and RBs (as Buffalo has) are left behind quickly in the modern NFL.  And it wasn't like Metcalf's abilities were unknown.  You take a WR with that skill set based on potential before you select the plodding guards who might have some potential because not all positions are valued the same.  Case in point: How many 6'4 230# who run 4.4s are there versus tweener OL types with average movement ability?   

Re Ford: Not all his fault the injury occurred, but he's been hurt with a torn labrum last year and now a tear in the meniscus.  That, combined it unclear where he plays doesn't bode well for his long term future.  

Everyone passed on Metcalf. Which means every GM in the league doesn't meet your standards.

You are full of crap.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Every team in the league passed on him at least once, because there were questions about his game translating to the NFL. He's answered those questions (AND HOW!). Good for him.

It's not an exact science. If Beane had drafted DK, maybe his development would have taken a different path, since it would be a different coaching staff and QB. You just never know.

14 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I randomly chose to look at Pittsburg‘s and the Seahawks draft history.

uh huh

• Haha (+1) 1