Cody Ford out for the Season

7 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

It may. I’ve had the surgery done seven times and they don’t typically repair them anymore according to my ortho. Partials they just let heal unless there is debris (just a minor scope then). Perhaps my doc is wrong...but I trust him. I’ve torn literally everything in my right knee save my LCL. 

I think for an average person - your doctor is correct - they tend to trim because we are not abusing the knee to the level an athlete does.

For NFL players they typically review options and make a decision based on how long they expect the player to play and how bad the tear is.  If they can repair - most doctors think that is the better option because there is a good chance later in the career this is going to happen again and you want to maintain as much of the meniscus as possible for as long as possible.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

It may. I’ve had the surgery done seven times and they don’t typically repair them anymore according to my ortho. Partials they just let heal unless there is debris (just a minor scope then). Perhaps my doc is wrong...but I trust him. I’ve torn literally everything in my right knee save my LCL. 

. I’m physically active but I certainly do not put the kind of pressure on it that an NFL lineman would. Sounds like Cody’s condition was more involved.Clearly you have been through this a lot more than me. But about three years ago I had a small meniscus tear in my left knee. My ortho surgeon gave me the option of conservative treatment to let it heal on its own or orthoscopic surgery which would take care of it quicker. I opted for the surgery and was pretty much back to normal within 2 to 3 weeks. I’m physically active but I certainly do not put the kind of pressure on it that an NFL lineman would. Sounds like Cody’s condition was more involved.

• Like (+1) 1

Treatment options depend on the location and severity of the tear.

From https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/blogs/musculoskeletal-and-rheumatology/2018/september/meniscus-tears-why-you-should-not-let-them-go-untreated :

"In the case of meniscus tears, some people think the injury will heal over time on its own. But the truth is that there are different types of meniscus tears — and some tears won’t heal without treatment.  If your tear is on the outer one-third of the meniscus, it may heal on its own or be repaired surgically. This is because this area has rich blood supply and blood cells can regenerate meniscus tissue — or help it heal after surgical repair.  But if the tear is in the inner two-thirds, which lack blood flow, the tear cannot be repaired and may need to be trimmed or removed surgically."

The full link gives considerably more details.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't see this as a big blow at all... the drop off from Ford to Boetteger is minimal if that's the route they go....

Ford was inconsistent. He was settling in a little at LG but there isn't any drop IMO to the other OGs on the roster. Our best 4 OL are Dawkins, Williams, Feliciano, and Morse. After that I view them pretty equally. Ford has the most talent though and upside, just too inconsistent. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't see this as a big blow at all... the drop off from Ford to Boetteger is minimal if that's the route they go....

Agreed.  Beane has built his roster at the Lines in a similar fashion, solid depth and no superstars, but 2-3 solid guys.  They overspent on Morse, but Dawkins is a real good player.  Good coaching has helped a lot as well

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yup.  While I wouldn’t have wanted any Bill to suffer a season ending injury, if forced to pick which starting OL to have it happen to.......