Ex Bills TE Logan Thomas Quietly Having a Great Season

JohnNord

5 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Bills 4 TE's together have 35/245 and 5 TD's, so he's singlehandedly doing more than our whole TE corps.  Good for him.

4 hours ago, Billznut said:

Better than any of our putrid TEs 

Kroft has 3 TDs so far this year. That counts for something I say. 

he also missed a game due to COVID, so those numbers could potentially be even better.

Edited by Nick the Greek

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

Buffalo is a sort of Twilight Zone for TEs. I have no idea why.  We've had a couple of decent ones, but no threats, and it always seems that TEs who come here from somewhere else don't live up to their past, and TEs who leave here do better at their new spot. 

I had hopes for Dawson Knox but this season has been a complete bust for him.  But if we release him, he'll go somewhere else and turn into the guy we hoped he'd be here.

The league is a sort of Twilight Zone for tight ends right now.  The number of productive players at the position has dwindled because teams are running more 4 and 5 wide sets.  If your tight end isnt one of you best pass catchers they become a blocker pretty quick.   If we win games I could care less who catches the ball.  

5 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Bills 4 TE's together have 35/245 and 5 TD's, so he's singlehandedly doing more than our whole TE corps.  Good for him.

Good for him, but he's rockin' the 57% completion percentage and low ypt that had Detroit motoring on from him.

I think he's just getting a lot of targets.

Had a good game yesterday, though.  Maybe he's proof of what people say that some of these TE just take a few years to develop - he's been in the league since 2014.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

The league is a sort of Twilight Zone for tight ends right now.  The number of productive players at the position has dwindled because teams are running more 4 and 5 wide sets.  If your tight end isnt one of you best pass catchers they become a blocker pretty quick.   If we win games I could care less who catches the ball.  

Intelligent observation!

TE play around the league is bipolar, if you have a great one (Chiefs, Raiders) you use them and the advantages they bring. If you don't, which 80% of the NFL, you sneak them into the pass game and for the most part use them as extra blockers and safety valves as needed.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1

I’m not saying that Thomas is a great TE or comparing him to the Bills TE’s.  I’m just saying that he was a player that showed a lot of athleticism as a TE is finally doing some good things.  

I remember when he was in Buffalo, his wife tragically lost their baby girl.   The positive way the family handled the situation was inspiring.  It made me want to root for Logan ever since.  Things didn’t work out in Buffalo but it looks like he should have a spot in the NFL for years to come.  

I

Targets people targets. 
We can be upset with our tight end stats all day but they’re not targeted in the pass game. This is why when Knox makes a mistake it stands out so badly. There’s what maybe 1-2 targets a game to tight ends and of course if Knox makes a mistake it jumps off the screen. Kroft has stepped up when asked but he still sees no targets. 
It’s not like these guys are so bad they’re never open that’s basically impossible in this offense. It doesn’t totally matter who you bring in if you don’t target them during the games. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Utah John said:

Buffalo is a sort of Twilight Zone for TEs. I have no idea why.  We've had a couple of decent ones, but no threats, and it always seems that TEs who come here from somewhere else don't live up to their past, and TEs who leave here do better at their new spot. 

I had hopes for Dawson Knox but this season has been a complete bust for him.  But if we release him, he'll go somewhere else and turn into the guy we hoped he'd be here.

I’m honestly trying to think of a TE who left Buffalo and have done so much better. I like Thomas, but he has 300+ yards receiving and 4 touchdowns. While better than Buffalo’s tight ends (but less touchdowns) he not exactly crushing it 

4 hours ago, TBBills said:

It's the Alex Smith effect 

Alex Smith he only throws to TEs

Hmmm...interesting theory...

First 4 games with Haskins: 13, 102, 1

2 games with K. Allen: 7, 102, 2  

Last 4 games with Smith: 13, 120, 1

Logan Thomas is having his best season. It's okay to admit it.

I recall some nice articles about him during his time here, and he seemed like a really good guy. 

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

I’m not saying that Thomas is a great TE or comparing him to the Bills TE’s.  I’m just saying that he was a player that showed a lot of athleticism as a TE is finally doing some good things.  

I remember when he was in Buffalo, his wife tragically lost their baby girl.   The positive way the family handled the situation was inspiring.  It made me want to root for Logan ever since.  Things didn’t work out in Buffalo but it looks like he should have a spot in the NFL for years to come.  

I

Thanks for posting. I remember the same. Good for him.  Bad look for the haters.

Good for him. Washington hasn't exactly been the preferred landing spot for NFL players these last few years, but it was perfect for Thomas. With where the Bills were in the competition cycle (that is, the good part of it, moving up) there was never going to the opportunity for a project like Thomas to get into the mix here.

Much as I detest Daniel Snyder, I detest Jerry Jones more. With Alex Smith back and playing kind of like ... Alex Smith, I find myself pulling for these guys to win the Worst Division Ever and then to upset someone in round 1. Just because it would be fun to watch.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That's because their #2 and #3 WR's are horrible averaging 24 and 22 yards per game the TE will see a lot of looks.  We're 5th in passing yards per game right now.  Without googling it name the leading TE for the greatest show on turf.  The point being is you don't need great production from your TE core to be a productive offense.

Except in KC and Balt.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That's because their #2 and #3 WR's are horrible averaging 24 and 22 yards per game the TE will see a lot of looks.  We're 5th in passing yards per game right now.  Without googling it name the leading TE for the greatest show on turf.  The point being is you don't need great production from your TE core to be a productive offense.

I'm not disagreeing.  St. Loius Rams had great WRs but also had Faulk catching neatly 100 passes. KC has Kelce. Their is no one perfect combination.  Right now Bills are doing it with great WR production and not much else. Having to defend a TE or RB out of the backfield would make the Bills offense even better.

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Pedestrian numbers for a TE yet he’s outperforming our sorry group 

better than average numbers and they aren’t pretty.

makes you wonder if outside truly great talents it’s a bit like comparing rushing yards for full backs on most teams?

It’s nice to have one but at this point most teams don’t have a great one. 

Thomas has seen an uptick of snaps and targets since Alex Smith took over.  While he isn’t setting the world on fire, he seems to have earned the trust of Smith and a lot of his receptions are check downs.  He and Gibson are Smith’s safety blanket, and Alex checks down a lot.  Not to take anything away from Logan at all.  He’s stepped up and made the most of his opportunities.

4 hours ago, TBBills said:

Not to mention the Washington FT has no WRs so of course he will get more targets.

I do like the people that think he would do anything on this team except take up space though.

Terry McLaurin has 63 catches for 963 yards, good for first in the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1