Ex Bills TE Logan Thomas Quietly Having a Great Season

JohnNord

Former Bills Tight End Logan Thomas made the highlight reel today for throwing a nice 28 yard pass to set up a Washington score and catching a nice little goal line TD.

I knew that Thomas was kicking around the league but what I didn’t realize is that he’s putting together a very nice season for Washington.

Currently he has 34 catches for 328 yards and 4 TD’s.  These aren’t earth shattering numbers - it’s probably why we haven’t heard much about him this season.  But they do put him in the top half of TE’s in the league.  

Also, it’s definitely not bad productivity for a player who couldn’t get on the field much for the Bills.  

I remember the potential that you’d see him in occasionally when Thomas was trying to crack the lineup in Buffalo.  Glad that he’s finally realizing it in Washington a few seasons later.  He seemed to be a pretty good dude and I’m genuinely happy for him.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Haha (+1) 1

Buffalo is a sort of Twilight Zone for TEs. I have no idea why.  We've had a couple of decent ones, but no threats, and it always seems that TEs who come here from somewhere else don't live up to their past, and TEs who leave here do better at their new spot. 

I had hopes for Dawson Knox but this season has been a complete bust for him.  But if we release him, he'll go somewhere else and turn into the guy we hoped he'd be here.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Buffalo is a sort of Twilight Zone for TEs. I have no idea why.  We've had a couple of decent ones, but no threats, and it always seems that TEs who come here from somewhere else don't live up to their past, and TEs who leave here do better at their new spot. 

I had hopes for Dawson Knox but this season has been a complete bust for him.  But if we release him, he'll go somewhere else and turn into the guy we hoped he'd be here.

I was thinking this exact same thing

32 minutes ago, Utah John said:

If it happens, it happens. I get what you are saying but Knox needs to be held accountable for his performance in a Bills uniform, not what he may become in another organization.

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Bills 4 TE's together have 35/245 and 5 TD's, so he's singlehandedly doing more than our whole TE corps.  Good for him.

That's because their #2 and #3 WR's are horrible averaging 24 and 22 yards per game the TE will see a lot of looks.  We're 5th in passing yards per game right now.  Without googling it name the leading TE for the greatest show on turf.  The point being is you don't need great production from your TE core to be a productive offense.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Doc, thanks for inserting common sense.  We are week to week the #1 or 2 10 or 11 personnel team in the NFL.  We have Diggs on pace for over 1400 yards, Beasley 1100 yards, and if Brown wasn’t hurt a couple of times, he would be up there as well.  Given we run these groupings, you can assume the Bills know it’s better for 3 or 4 wides on the field and Davis is having a very good rookie season.

There just isn’t room for a ton of TE work, but when we need a serviceable TE, it’s Kroft, not Knox as he’s just not reliable yet.  He’s going to have to prove in practice he stops trying to look up field, and secures the ball first.  I’m betting in a solid TE class, we take one in the draft.  As far as the Washington TE, he has a low ceiling.  If we make this WR Corp into the best in the NFL, I can live with that all day.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Billznut said:

Better than any of our putrid TEs 

It's the Alex Smith effect 

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Bills 4 TE's together have 35/245 and 5 TD's, so he's singlehandedly doing more than our whole TE corps.  Good for him.

Alex Smith he only throws to TEs

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Former Bills Tight End Logan Thomas made the highlight reel today for throwing a nice 28 yard pass to set up a Washington score and catching a nice little goal line TD.

I knew that Thomas was kicking around the league but what I didn’t realize is that he’s putting together a very nice season for Washington.

Currently he has 34 catches for 328 yards and 4 TD’s.  These aren’t earth shattering numbers - it’s probably why we haven’t heard much about him this season.  But they do put him in the top half of TE’s in the league.  

Also, it’s definitely not bad productivity for a player who couldn’t get on the field much for the Bills.  

I remember the potential that you’d see him in occasionally when Thomas was trying to crack the lineup in Buffalo.  Glad that he’s finally realizing it in Washington a few seasons later.  He seemed to be a pretty good dude and I’m genuinely happy for him.  

He still could not get on the field for most teams in the NFL - including this one.  He is on a team in Washington with a QB that utilizes the TE a ton.  Smith went an entire year basically throwing all his TDs and a good percentage of completions to TEs - so I am not surprised at all.

Add to that - WFT’s lack of talent at WR and the TEs become even more relevant.

I prefer to see the Bills utilizing the WRs as the main receiving weapons and they use the TEs as H-Back/Blocking backs to help pick up blitzes and protect Allen.

I would imagine here - he would not beat out Knox or Kroft and would probably be behind Smith due to his blocking.  I am happy for him, but I do not confuse the numbers he is putting up in that system with thinking he could do something here.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

When your QB is a noodle arm who only throws to RB's and TE for the most part you can get a few catches ;)

Check out their WR numbers then check the Bills numbers.

BTW congrats to Logan for finding a home :)

5 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Well, that’s not a very high bar now is it 😁, for reasons I don’t know, the bills have not known how to use tight ends for a very long time. Kroft is the most useful one we currently have, iirc he has three TDs, and knows how to block... so maybe they will stop messing around and use him more... 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That's because their #2 and #3 WR's are horrible averaging 24 and 22 yards per game the TE will see a lot of looks.  We're 5th in passing yards per game right now.  Without googling it name the leading TE for the greatest show on turf.  The point being is you don't need great production from your TE core to be a productive offense.

Looking at the other posts, clearly the Logan Thomas hate runs deep at TBD.  Our WR's definitely mask our deficiencies at TE.  I'm guessing that if all the TE drops were caught, then their numbers relative to Logan Thomas would be better.  Bottom line, we need more out of the TE position.

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Not to mention the Washington FT has no WRs so of course he will get more targets.

I do like the people that think he would do anything on this team except take up space though.

Terry McLaurin is a stud. He's closer to Diggs than he is John Brown. He's really good. 

But beyond Terry. Yikes 😬 

• Like (+1) 1