Anyone Listen to Jerry Hughes interview yesterday?

Hebert19

I thought the first few minutes we're super insightful as to where some of the struggles with our defense and with defenses around the league have been this year. The inability to meet and get on the same page in the same room causes some disconnects when it comes to game plan when it comes to Tendencies when it comes to responsibilities. Which is super interesting considering he thanks that they've worked around that during the bye week.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/jerry-hughes-we-re-in-a-really-good-position

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm not discounting what Hughes is saying and there is no doubt it is a league wide phenomenon. 

But the Bills front 7 is soft. Even with Star it is soft. They have not had a truly great dominant player in the front 7 since the first couple of seasons Dareus played. Since then and endless parade of finesse guys or bags of goo like Star.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm not discounting what Hughes is saying and there is no doubt it is a league wide phenomenon. 

But the Bills front 7 is soft. Even with Star it is soft. They have not had a truly great dominant player in the front 7 since the first couple of seasons Dareus played. Since then and endless parade of finesse guys or bags of goo like Star.

Dareus , Meatball , Hughes and M Williams was a damn good DL 

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Cornelius bennett??

Considering what we gave up ? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It indeed may be a thing, but there are other teams that thus far this season have handled playing defense much better than have the Bills.  We'll see what the Bills can do down the stretch.

43 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

It indeed may be a thing, but there are other teams that thus far this season have handled playing defense much better than have the Bills.  We'll see what the Bills can do down the stretch.

Agree.  But at the same time ppg is the highest ever right now.  Yup.  Ever.  And not by a small margin.  

So for the bills.  Where we had a good D based on scheme and trust moreso than just elite players...it impacts us more.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/scoring.htm

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Hughes is one of the best, most underrated and most misunderstood Bills of the 2000s. 

After the Jets game I agree. Before that game he was totally awol. I know sacks are not necessarily indicative of the impact a D lineman has on the game but he wasn’t even disrupting at that point. Maybe a couple plays  here and there in the Dolphins and Rams games but it’s like the switch didn’t really go on till the Jets. 

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

With Star it was anything but soft. He's been doing a very fine job here, though many fans didn't get it till they saw what the defense looked like without him there.

And outside his injury, Ed Oliver has been playing really really well since the middle of last year.

Softer now, though. 1-tech is the position where McDermott wants a big strong block-absorbing space eater, and without Star we haven't got a good one.

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I’m not chuckling because I disagree, but rather because you are so right...Imo no one else embodies that softness, you speak of, more than Edmunds...when you have DB’s hitting harder than your MLB, you’re in trouble!

11 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Here here

Where... 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Whole league is struggling on D.   Makes sense what he's saying. Let's hope we have figured it out.  

Yep, I've noticed this as well. Just about every non-Bills game I've watched this season, both offenses have little to no problem moving the ball up and down the field. Things this season have been geared to favor the offense. I believe officials were told to only call holding if it was 100% clear, plus some officiating crews seem to be holding back on a lot of flags and then others (looking at you, Carl Cheffers, you jackwagon) are having flagapalooza every Sunday. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Where... 

There there !

9 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I’m not chuckling because I disagree, but rather because you are so right...Imo no one else embodies that softness, you speak of, more than Edmunds...when you have DB’s hitting harder than your MLB, you’re in trouble!

Game has changed and we no longer have LBs who just blow up a run gap so well fans say  eeeew that musta hurt. and just the sound of the hit.
No one can play head down to tackle anymore. :( Grab Lift and slam those HBs. :)

D line has room for improvement. lets hope we see a continuing trend on this Sunday till seasons end

• Thank you (+1) 1