Four QB's on pace to make history this year.

5 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Through the first 100 seasons of the NFL only one QB has ever topped both 4,450 passing yards and 300 rushing yards. I'll let you guess who. HINT: It wasn't Aaron Rodgers though he came close twice. 

I know those totals are a little random but I find it interesting that through 100 seasons only one player has put those numbers or better up. And now, at the conclusion of the 101st season we are on track to have four new members of that club. Justin Herbert (even with only 15 games played he is on pace to hit this mark, Josh Allen, Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson. These averages can continue to go down for all four so we'll see where they end up. For now they have fairly comfortable leads. 

With Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields coming into the league next year, Kyler Murray continuing to become a better passer and the question of whether Lamar Jackson can develop as a passer, we could see this milestone topped by close to 10 players or so in the near future. 

I've always though it's only a matter of time until a unicorn QB shows up. A guy that's 6'5 with the stature of Big Ben, cannon of an arm, reads the entire field like Brady, Peyton and Brees, has legs like a gazelle and is a tremendous leader. That time might be sooner rather than later. And maybe Josh is that unicorn?

Allen is definitely a unicorn. Nobody has ever had his combination of arm strength, athleticism, play making ability and clutchness he possesses.

Well...nobody has had his arm strength ever in the NFL period. Sports science declared him to have the strongest arm of all time (to the point they kept retesting him because they thought their radar gun was faulty) and 2nd place was way way down from him. Like from Allen to 2nd place was equivalent distance from 2nd place to 15th place.

Allen has the chance to do some really special things and I am so excited to be able to watch.

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

4500 is a legit season.  under 20 yards a game rushing/scrambling seems pretty low.

Surprised there's only been one.

Look at JA this year. He's had games where he hasn't really run the ball at all. I think even one or two where he literally didn't run the ball. So those games really drag a QB's overall numbers down. Wilson only had two rushing attempts against us when we played him. But he was running far more than he had the previous couple of seasons until that game. 

10 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Look at JA this year. He's had games where he hasn't really run the ball at all. I think even one or two where he literally didn't run the ball. So those games really drag a QB's overall numbers down. Wilson only had two rushing attempts against us when we played him. But he was running far more than he had the previous couple of seasons until that game. 

Allen is on pace to have his worst running year but he’s still at 28 yards game.  

Edited by Mr. WEO

When many QBs become great then it waters down the product considerably. 

The rules have made QBs into instant legends. 

I mean let's be frank if Herbert was having Allen's stats we would all be happy. 

If Herberts, Burrows, and other guys become top 10 that fast it takes away the luster of a franchise QB

1 hour ago, BillsToast said:

I mean let's be frank if Herbert was having Allen's stats we would all be happy. 

If Herberts, Burrows, and other guys become top 10 that fast it takes away the luster of a franchise QB

It is easier for good QBs than in the past but look at Burrow and Herbert compared to Tua. There remains a difference. The league doesn't make it possible for just anyone to be a star. Only the most talented reach that level.

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I swear to God, in another 5 years, running plays run by a RB are going to be rare in the league. Why throw away the down like that?  Your classic marquis HB is going to go the way of the FB.

The run game will never go away completely. Wearing down your opponent in long winter games is how you make it through the playoffs. You also need to keep the defense honest so they can't just drop 8 into coverage on every play. We are finally seeing the rise of the QB run game but defenses are starting to figure that out too. Football has always come down to the same principles since the dawn of the NFL. Dominate in the trenches and be more physical than your opponent and you win more often than not.

1 hour ago, BillsToast said:

As long as Tua BUSTS  and all other QB’s drafted by the Jets and Pats****** that’s all that matters ( to me ) 

I wish for Burrow to recover and have a successful NFL career same for Herbert , 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is easier for good QBs than in the past but look at Burrow and Herbert compared to Tua. There remains a difference. The league doesn't make it possible for just anyone to be a star. Only the most talented reach that level.

The difference is if 1-3 new QBs a year can be more than competent quickly it will waters down the game. Sure it requires talent, but Farve never hit over 100 QB rating in his life until he was old on another team. 

Gardner Minshew is a great example. He's a very good backup for a team, but had the stats of a starter for the last few games of last year and a few this year. If there are many Minshews playing great football than it waters down really great QBs.

If we're honest there is only so much a QB can do to be great like throw for 65+% completion, over 4,000 yards, 30 TDs, 95 QB rating and now that's the new baseline for just being "good" which is ridiculous. That might fit 17 QBs this year. 17. 

Half of the QBs aren't playing astounding it's the rules and lack of holding that's changed the game. 

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Amazing year and his last full one. He never really recovered from the knee injury. 

Agreed. That’s why it’s such a shame when we see these guys get hurt. Better players in the league makes for better football...and that doesn’t even bring up the fact that these guys are human beings playing a game, essentially, for our pleasure.