Four QB's on pace to make history this year.

Through the first 100 seasons of the NFL only one QB has ever topped both 4,450 passing yards and 300 rushing yards. I'll let you guess who. HINT: It wasn't Aaron Rodgers though he came close twice. 

I know those totals are a little random but I find it interesting that through 100 seasons only one player has put those numbers or better up. And now, at the conclusion of the 101st season we are on track to have four new members of that club. Justin Herbert (even with only 15 games played he is on pace to hit this mark, Josh Allen, Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson. These averages can continue to go down for all four so we'll see where they end up. For now they have fairly comfortable leads. 

With Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields coming into the league next year, Kyler Murray continuing to become a better passer and the question of whether Lamar Jackson can develop as a passer, we could see this milestone topped by close to 10 players or so in the near future. 

I've always though it's only a matter of time until a unicorn QB shows up. A guy that's 6'5 with the stature of Big Ben, cannon of an arm, reads the entire field like Brady, Peyton and Brees, has legs like a gazelle and is a tremendous leader. That time might be sooner rather than later. And maybe Josh is that unicorn?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Culpepper 

You got it.

Vikings only went 8-8 that year too. Sort of like this year with a mix bag of team success for the four players on pace to surpass the 4350 and 300 yard mark.

And Culpepper actually went way over those numbers. 4700+ and 400+ and 39 passing TD's. It was a great season he had. Steve Young would have came really close to some of those numbers or even better but he didn't play a full 16 games very often. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

9 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

You got it.

Vikings only went 8-8 that year too. Sort of like this year with a mix bag of team success for the four players on pace to surpass the 4350 and 300 yard mark.

And Culpepper actually went way over those numbers. 4700+ and 400+ and 39 passing TD's. It was a great season he had. Steve Young would have came really close to some of those numbers or even better but he didn't play a full 16 games very often. 

Amazing year and his last full one. He never really recovered from the knee injury. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Through the first 100 seasons of the NFL only one QB has ever topped both 4,450 passing yards and 300 rushing yards. I'll let you guess who. HINT: It wasn't Aaron Rodgers though he came close twice. 

I know those totals are a little random but I find it interesting that through 100 seasons only one player has put those numbers or better up. And now, at the conclusion of the 101st season we are on track to have four new members of that club. Justin Herbert (even with only 15 games played he is on pace to hit this mark, Josh Allen, Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson. These averages can continue to go down for all four so we'll see where they end up. For now they have fairly comfortable leads. 

With Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields coming into the league next year, Kyler Murray continuing to become a better passer and the question of whether Lamar Jackson can develop as a passer, we could see this milestone topped by close to 10 players or so in the near future. 

I've always though it's only a matter of time until a unicorn QB shows up. A guy that's 6'5 with the stature of Big Ben, cannon of an arm, reads the entire field like Brady, Peyton and Brees, has legs like a gazelle and is a tremendous leader. That time might be sooner rather than later. And maybe Josh is that unicorn?

Josh definitely checks most of those boxes. 

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Let's see how good of a game Herbert has with McDermott given a good week to plan, and the team to get healthy.

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

And yet this statistical milestone is more about how the structure of the game itself has changed as opposed to the athletes themselves.

Having said that, 20 or 30 years ago a lot of the QBs couldn't run the way they do now, but then again, teams weren't asking them to, nor were they looking for that skill set in prospects.

As the game continues to evolve, so does recruitment and development of the players.

I swear to God, in another 5 years, running plays run by a RB are going to be rare in the league. Why throw away the down like that?  Your classic marquis HB is going to go the way of the FB.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Allen's passing #s are going to taper off as the weather turns.  I do think he'll break the 4000 passing yards barrier, which is great, but I don't think he'll get north of that 4450 mark.

With his shoulder mostly healed up I actually expect the rushing avg to tick up coming down the home stretch.

51 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

And yet this statistical milestone is more about how the structure of the game itself has changed as opposed to the athletes themselves.

That's true. The passing numbers have been going up for nearly two decades. Mobile QB's used to be guys like Vick, Tyrod, RGIII and Kaepernick. Guys that could put up one really good season but never really develop into that pocket passing QB. Jackson is more in the mold of those former QB's. Guys like Herbert, Allen, Wilson, Watson and Murray have the skill level to run like them but have also shown the ability to make far more plays with their arm.

• Like (+1) 1