Bills Jets 1981 Playoff Game (You Tube)

I was a student @ UB at the time, and as soon as that game ended, two friends and I decided to fly People's Express airline to Newark to spend a few days in NYC to celebrate and gloat over that Bills victory.  Lots of memorable stories from that trip.  IIRC, Frank Lewis had a big game.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I was driving from Albuquerque to Lubbock listening to that game on the radio.

I had family, an aunt and uncle that lived in lubbock. I went to live with them back in '77 and I'll never forget it had snowed (I believe it was the month of february) and they didn't know how to handle it on the roads. here I was a kid (17) from wny watching these people from texas react to I believe couldn't of been more then 5 inches of snow and all the while western new yorkers had just gone though a record setting blizzard. I think aside from buddy holly being from there I was most intrigued with tumbleweeds and prairie dogs. I only lived there about 6 months before going back home to wny. 

Edited by A Firm Tree Does Not Fear

2 hours ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

I had family, an aunt and uncle that lived in lubbock. I went to live with them back in '77 and I'll never forget it had snowed (I believe it was the month of february) and they didn't know how to handle it on the roads. here I was a kid (17) from wny watching these people from texas react to I believe couldn't of been more then 5 inches of snow and all the while western new yorkers had just gone though a record setting blizzard. I think aside from buddy holly being from there I was most intrigued with tumbleweeds and prairie dogs. I only lived there about 6 months before going back home to wny. 

The things that stood out to me was how wide all the streets were. Even side streets were 2 or 3 lanes. I guess when you have all that room. The other thing was it was so flat you could see the sky all the way down to the horizon. And lightning storms were spectacular. I was there from '80 to '81 and I actually liked it a lot. Going from WNY to a place where it was sunny almost every day.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The things that stood out to me was how wide all the streets were. Even side streets were 2 or 3 lanes. I guess when you have all that room. The other thing was it was so flat you could see the sky all the way down to the horizon. And lightning storms were spectacular. I was there from '80 to '81 and I actually liked it a lot. Going from WNY to a place where it was sunny almost every day.

also there was a slaughter house outside of the city limits and on a day down wind it wouldn't be so pleasant. I also recall the red dust that made the skyline red and I do remember how you could see for miles with it being so flat. there was a pool hall that I would ride my bicycle to called hambones I believe, the place was huge and full of pool tables.

Edited by A Firm Tree Does Not Fear

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

The exact day I became a Bills fan at 10 years old living in Kearny, NJ.

I went from loving the Dallas Cowboys to Talkin’ Proud in 1980 and never looking back. My first Bills game was with my father, Dec 7th, 1980...Vince Ferragamo (who eventually became a Bill) got his ribs crushed by Big Ben Williams and had to leave the game. the Bills won “in Ooooooooooooovertime!” By a Nick Mick-a-Meyer (how did you spell his name anyway?) field goal in our end of the stadium... I was an elated 11 yr old boy and haven’t been able to wash this team out of my hair ever since...through the good and bad. So by this game against the Jets...I had deep disdain for the “NY Sack Exchange” ... those were some ugly dudes... and I loved me some Joe Cribbs...”Ahhh Touchdown!” 

4 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

That was against San Diego the year before I believe

Ahh thank you...yes after rewatching this game I realized it wasn’t this one..though I remember the sloppy mud and somehow connected that with Ferguson’s foot issues...so are you talking about the game of undefeated’s? When the Bills went to 5-0? That game was ....EPIC! 

• Like (+1) 1

Remember that game including NBC playing Joe Jackson's "Steppin Out" transitioning to the commercial break.  Loved the uniforms.  Simpler times then and for the better! 

9 hours ago, Colorado Mike said:

I was a student @ UB at the time, and as soon as that game ended, two friends and I decided to fly People's Express airline to Newark to spend a few days in NYC to celebrate and gloat over that Bills victory.  Lots of memorable stories from that trip.  IIRC, Frank Lewis had a big game.

People's Express!  Flew them all the time with my parents.  They were the first to charge for snacks onboard.  Chocolate brownie was damn good too!

18 hours ago, Ponch said:

Ahh thank you...yes after rewatching this game I realized it wasn’t this one..though I remember the sloppy mud and somehow connected that with Ferguson’s foot issues...so are you talking about the game of undefeated’s? When the Bills went to 5-0? That game was ....EPIC! 

There was a mud game at the end of 1980 when Fergy first injured his ankle I believe. It was in San Fran and the Bills won to clinch the division. Pouring rain and mud and it came down to a Hail Mary attempt by Montana. 

• Thank you (+1) 1