ESPN puts another long time Host on waivers

LB48

2 hours ago, ColeB said:

Apparently they brought it back, but it’s on ESPN+,  which, of course, will cost you more.  They have another highlights show on ESPN called Rewind, which was renamed after they brought back Bergman on the new Primetime.  Rewind isn’t as good.  I watch the NFL Network version, which continues to change and is now hosted by Chris Rose alone.

They brought it back last year and it was fantastic as there were no commercials.  This year Booger took the place of Jackson but it's still worth the watch.

I used to watch ESPN religiously, but there just seems to be so many other better options these days. Nonetheless, it was a trailblazer for sports TV and radio, their problem is the rest of the world caught up to them and has now passed them.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Augie said:

ESPN canned Mike & Mike, which was the only show I cared about other than games they covered. Terrible management. Wingo was better than most of what they had. It’s a sign of the times for that sinking ship. 

Mike & Mike ended up hating each other. If it was up to ESPN it would still be on

I thought Wingo was good on the Wingo and Golic show, a decent guy.  It was the over the top production that I did not care for.  He'll land on his feet someplace.  

Greeny's podcast is decent but he is the same old seller and "of the moment" broadcaster he has always been.  

My biggest ESPN complaint is the MNF broadcast.  Steve Levy is the most horrid PBP announcer I have ever heard.  Just awful.  Must be a golden child of the network because his work ain't cutting it.  

Edited by jethro_tull
  • Like (+1) 2

Stopped watching ESPN years ago.  I mainly want NFL and NHL  news.  Their NFL coverage now is just a bunch of overly opinionated  loudmouths. They have zero NHL news so why watch.  I used to listen to Mike and Mike religiously  for years on the radio driving to work,  but when they split up I left.  Also to pay for their ESPN insider is just ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, die hard bills fan said:

Stopped watching ESPN years ago.  I mainly want NFL and NHL  news.  Their NFL coverage now is just a bunch of overly opinionated  loudmouths. They have zero NHL news so why watch.  I used to listen to Mike and Mike religiously  for years on the radio driving to work,  but when they split up I left.  Also to pay for their ESPN insider is just ridiculous. 

but at least they have Rex ;)

11 hours ago, wvbillsfan said:

The problem with espn shows..... all the hot takes are just opinion with little to no facts behind those opinions. I don’t even know if these talking heads watch the games or just spew the same rhetoric 

Agreed.

Different people like different things.  Years ago (decades?), I loved ESPN just because of sportcenter, when it was just news and highlights and very little opinion.  Personally, I like information, I like facts, I like highlights.  However it seems there are MORE people who like the personalities and opinions and 'fun' of the arguments. With more people liking that, ESPN decided to go that way because that got them ratings.

It not for me, but obviously it is for some people.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

If it wasn’t for Monday night football I would never have ESPN on. ABC should get the rights back so it is on broadcast television. 

There college sports coverage (if you watch any of it) is pretty good and no real alternative to them.   That takes care of evenings and weekends, but then the rest of the time they need all these other shows and need to pay people to host them.

15 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

If it wasn’t for Monday night football I would never have ESPN on. ABC should get the rights back so it is on broadcast television. 

I'm a big sports fan but I am the same.  The only reason I would even think to tune to ESPN (or any of its many sibling channels) is because I am about to watch a sporting event that happens to be broadcast on ESPN.

Everything else on the channel pretty much is meaningless to me.

Maybe ESPN can use that information to craft a better product.

14 hours ago, wvbillsfan said:

The problem with espn shows..... all the hot takes are just opinion with little to no facts behind those opinions. I don’t even know if these talking heads watch the games or just spew the same rhetoric 

You should listen to the Dan Le Batard show...it's a parody of sports radio shows and make fun of everything you said. Once you realize that you start to "get the show."

15 hours ago, Whkfc said:

ESPN sucks. I watch NFLN for my coverage. ESPN isnt worth my time.

Agreed.

It's basically turned into 23 hours of this idiot below. The only good parts of ESPN anymore (I'm excluding ESPN + and Primetime) are SVP and PTI. 

Stephen A Smith GIFs | Tenor

15 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Guess who owns ESPN?

Disney......

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/26/media/disney-layoffs/index.html

14 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Jackson is much better than booger 

Tom Jackson is a great person. I met him in 2013 at a Yagoot here in town. Couldn't have been nicer.

Then I saw him the following year in our local Target, looking stumped (exactly how I was at that moment) because they moved all the aisles and items around without warning!

9 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Apart from her glass-shattering voice, her opinions are what you would expect from an ESPN b-grader

Mina Kimes is a great journalist and knows her stuff, and you should seek her out, OUTSIDE of ESPN.