Any Chess players here?

Another Fan

My parents taught me the rules to the game as a kid.  I’d enjoy playing it against my parents or cousin when I was little but never anything more then that.  There was a Chess club/team where I went too high school.  I went to a few of their meetings and was surprised how fierce they were

Would made me think of this is a talk show guest here said she kept a board in her house so she can appear intelligent. Guess that’s the only reason I still have a Calculus book on my shelf...  gives off the impression of someone intelligent 😆

I've played on and off since I was a small child.  My dad and I would play every night after dinner.  I still remember the first time I beat him.

Most recently picked it up again after finding a cool channel by a Croat on youtube last year who does chess analysis (agadmator, for those so inclined).  I play online since I have no friends.

I was a regular player in junior and senior high school in chess club and played in inter-school tournaments.

At one point I was playing multiple players at same time. 

I won a multi-school tournament but cannot remember it. 

I had what was described as "grand mal seizure" (it wasn't) and I lost memory of previous day.

I was into chess variants then.  Criss Cross one I played with a few players.  We also played war games.

When I went to high school  I was always late for class due to my schedule and was on detention a lot.

The school vice-principal knew I was not a trouble maker (I was only student allowed to be in charge of Wiener Wagon, magic source of sports funding) so if I said I was going to meet with teacher he'd let me alternately serve detection there.

I found out my math teacher was a chess player and heard that I was a chess player and he offered to play.

He was in Army and was the chess champion when he was in it and he was a Grandmaster.

First time he played he offered to play without a Queen and I said I did not want to play vs handicapped player.

He beat fairly quickly but we played again and again and I got better but never beat him with best being a stalemate forced by me.

One game he declared check and I blocked the check and said "Checkmate in 8 or less moves". 

He looked at board pointing with pencil at every move location.  Finally he said "That piece you lost it was a sacrifice and you planned it."

I asked him "Did you let me win?" He said "No.  I never saw it coming."

I never beat him again.

I played a bit in college and worked on a chess player on computer but never finished it.

I have not played much since college.   Been offered a few times but not much interest.

Yeah, I’m pretty decent.  Didn’t start playing until I was asked by a teacher colleague to help him start a chess club at the school.  He taught me the basics and I just started playing a lot.  This was about 15 years ago.

Present day, I still play occasionally because my son is into it.  He started playing a couple years ago and joined the chess club at his school.  The kid absolutely destroys me now. I haven’t beat him in about a year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I will dominate you all

There's an app my wife and I use to play each other (called Chess Time).  You can set the length of time between moves up to two days.  That's good because usually I get a notification that it is my turn while I'm driving or on the phone and when I get to see what she did I have a while to think about what I want to do without being distracted by life at the same time.  We have long running battles since we are pretty evenly matched.  She used to win all the time because my level of concentration was never fully there.  I just didn't care enough whether I won or lost.  But we took a long time off and since then, I try hard to focus -- especially when we are playing face to face in person.

Our son (13) kicks our asses at chess.  He's good.  We use a timer. 8:00 per side. You need to go quick.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, I’m pretty decent.  Didn’t start playing until I was asked by a teacher colleague to help him start a chess club at the school.  He taught me the basics and I just started playing a lot.  This was about 15 years ago.

Present day, I still play occasionally because my son is into it.  He started playing a couple years ago and joined the chess club at his school.  The kid absolutely destroys me now. I haven’t beat him in about a year.

Pretty much the same with our kid.  Except someone asked my wife to start up the team.  Now they both study moves and she gets some Chess people to teach the kids on the team.

• Like (+1) 2

I learned as a young child (my dad would go to local tournaments). I prefer poker but a poker tournament can last for hours, but I can get in quite a few 10 minute timed games at Chess dot com. (if any of you play there I have the same username).

There was review on "CBS this morning" a few weeks ago where the website stated they grew by 40% or so this year, due to the virus. Chess is back BABY!

My current ranking is about 1610. Not quite Grand Master LOL.

I've always been interested in learning chess but I never really had the typical gateway into it; the elderly relative who made me play it as a kid.

I did recently have a look at chess.com and played a couple of games with a heavy amount of tutorials and hints. I don't like to brag but I'm unbeaten on novice difficulty!

• Haha (+1) 1

I play on chess.com, usually in the winter, and often in spurts. I’ll go months without playing, and then play random people online all day, every day, for weeks on end. 

I’m not very good, consistently. I’m usually playing  at 1100-1300 in a 10 minute game. I learned as a kid from my dad, but stopped playing for years until I picked it back up a few years ago looking for something to do in the winter. 

I have a cousin, (on my Moms side) who is an International Master. He plays in tournaments all over the world. When we were kids, he once beat me without looking. I told him what piece I moved where and he still whooped me in no time. 

There is a tremendous amount of strategy and theory in this game. I’ve tried to learn but it’s a bit to dry for me.

The best way to get better quickly is to learn a few decent openings for white and/or black, practice developing your pawns and play the computer on analysis mode. 

8 hours ago, Pete said:

I play blitz chess every day!  Bong hits and blitz is a great way to start the day IMO.

Chess rocks!

Let’s go GoBills!

Bong hits and beers sound more like a backgammon situation. What do I know?   🤷‍♂️

I played chess with friends in middle school and high school, backgammon in college. We have some backgammon sets from “the old country” in Lebanon. I have an annual tournament at New Years with my wife for Champ of the Year! Play a few other times every year. 

After 8th grade we took a trip to Acapulco and I insisted on buying and onyx chess board at the market as my big prize. I took that thing to college with me. A zillion years later we took our kids to Cozumel on a cruise. Our youngest insisted on what appeared to be an identical chess board! 

Great game, but haven’t played in years. 

Great brain exercise! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.