The Bills and Patrick Mahomes

gotme365

2 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

Mahomes would not be Mahomes if he came to Buffalo and had the Bills receivers and offensive line his first few years.  He was put into an offense with a ton of weapons and had a line that could actually block.

Mahomes is better than Allen, but the difference is not as large as people believe.  Mahomes is an A+ talent. Allen is an A- talent.  Guaranteed Hall of Famer vs borderline Hall of Famer.

To me its not (yet) a good comparison. Mahomes is already playing at a HOF level. I dont think he can get much better. As far as I’m concerned Allen is still developing. I think hes probably a year to a year and a half away.I dont think we know how good he might eventually be. Mahomes getting drafted where he did had absolutely all of the advantages and privileges he could possibly hope for. Allen not so much. As a very raw rookie and halfway through his sophomore year he pretty much had to do it all himself. I dont know how much better Mahomes would have been. 

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

You want us to believe that Ty Dunne wrote this article as a response to YOU — some random dude on a message board — and that Monos colluded with him by making up a story about Terry Pegula?

Forgive me, but it seems FAR more likely that you have paranoid delusions of grandeur.

Ah, see, that's where u have it twisted. I am not just "some random dude on a message board"

Tyler Dunne KNOWS WHO I AM. We are even connected on LinkedIn.

I won't reveal my identity - but I can promise you Im not just some random message board poster 

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Your responses in here are... fascinating.

What makes you believe TD is writing articles in direct response to a barely seen message board post? Does he post there too?

Tyler Dunne knows who I am. We are even connected on LinkedIn. I am not a stranger to Tyler Dunne.

Inside info for you.

• Haha (+1) 1

Ty has a good writing style, but some of this feels like revisionist history. And it unnecessarily postulates that Josh Allen has all this weight and pressure in his shoulders. I think Josh has settled into our guy and the team and community are backing him. He might feel compelled to go and put it all on the line for his team and city, but I don’t think Allen has been made to feel any pressure with regards to the Mahomes trade. 

Thought it was interesting Whaley thought they could get Mahomes at 27? I dunno about that. Mahomes has question marks but I feel like on draft day he was gonna get someone to bite in the top half. But this is also the guy who traded up for Sammy Watkins and thought EJ had the it factor.

All in all, I’m glad we have Josh and I don’t care to think about this trade any more. We have a good player who keeps getting better. A natural leader with almost not ceiling. I don’t want to read people posting about Mahomes woulda coulda shoulda any more. We didn’t draft Rosen, guys.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Ah, see, that's where u have it twisted. I am not just "some random dude on a message board"

I won't reveal my identity - but I can promise you Im not just some random message board poster 

Tyler Dunne knows who I am. We are even connected on LinkedIn. I am not a stranger to Tyler Dunne.

Inside info for you.

I always knew we’d see you again, Dunkirk Don.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Inside info for you.

This may all be true, and I'm not going to obligate you to dox yourself.

But if you are going to post on message boards as an insider and NOT reveal yourself, then it is completely worthless and you will/should be doubted.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Haze_21 said:

How does it benefit Whaley to admit he bungled the pick when the owner strongly urged him to take Mahomes? Also what are you smoking and where can I get some?

I'm impressed with Josh this year but Mahomes will be the goat barring an injury. I dont care about his weapons, they are amazing but even when hill and kelce go out he gets it done with journeymen. It could be far worse since Josh is a franchise qb now so I'm over it.

Just take my word for it. Me and Tyler Dunne are connected on LinkedIn. He knows me. I have inside info.

I already put this on my mother and grandmother's grave. Take it or leave it..

Either believe in the truth, or believe in total BS. Choice is yours.

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Just take my word for it. Me and Tyler Dunne are connected on LinkedIn. He knows me. I have inside info.

I already put this on my mother and grandmother's grave. Take it or leave it..

Either believe in the truth, or believe in total BS. Choice is yours.

To be fair, being “connected on LinkedIn” doesn’t mean much.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

say it with me everyone:

WE DON’T KNOW HOW MAHOMES WOULD HAVE TURNED OUT IF HE WAS DRAFTED BY US IN 2017.

Truly idiotic take.  By that reasoning, we have no idea how any player would have turned out if drafted by a different team, so we might as well just give every GM a lifetime free-pass. 

We know for a fact that Mahomes is hands down the best QB in football and far and away the league MVP in his third season as a starter.  No matter how Josh Allen turns out, it was a mistake not to draft Mahomes in 2017.  In fairness, the Bills did make good use of the picks they got from KC to trade down.  And there is also no doubt that other franchises missed the boat far more egregiously, like the Bears, who gave away a ton of picks to move up from 3 to 2 to pick Mitch Trubisky, and the forever QB-needy Jaguars, who drafted a running back at 4th overall that year.  But it does not change the fact that it was a major blunder by the Bills and McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

Mahomes would not be Mahomes if he came to Buffalo and had the Bills receivers and offensive line his first few years.  He was put into an offense with a ton of weapons and had a line that could actually block.

Mahomes is better than Allen, but the difference is not as large as people believe.  Mahomes is an A+ talent. Allen is an A- talent.  Guaranteed Hall of Famer vs borderline Hall of Famer.

Yeah, but that's just now, at this point in their respective careers. Both should improve, but Allen's trajectory is a lot steeper. No one ever says it, but Allen might well end up better than Mahomes in the long haul. I for one am glad we have Allen. Have you noticed how Mahomes reacts when his teammates mess up? After he threw that interception in the last Raiders game, he peevishly gestured that his receiver should have come back from the ball, throwing him under the bus in front of a national audience and taking himself off the hook at the same time. Do you see Allen doing anything like that? Plus, I like Allen's heart and ferocious will to win. I think history will show the Bills made the right choice. 

3 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

My god, I could not imagine being in Pegula's shoes, knowing you desperately wanted Mahomes but allowed your football people to do their job and now you are forced to watch him ascend to potentially the GOAT status from a distance on a pick you traded away.

Pegula knowing multiple superbowls would have basically been guarenteed with mahomes has to sting.  luckily i think josh can get us there but damn that has to be a tough one for pegula

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Was never going to happen since McD didn't have his GM in place yet, AND had to settle on a 3rd choice for OC in Dennison who he knew he was going to replace the next year.

Didnt matter who was in that draft, we weren't taking a QB in 2017.

This thread is like a cow because the point is mooed.

that’s some high level dysfunction though, to create a situation where you wouldn’t even consider a qb for a qb needy team 

16 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Inside info for you.

Not doubting your insider status, as the reports at the time of the 2017 draft jive with your insistence that the Bills were not going to take Mahomes (or any other QB) with the 10th pick. The following are things I heard at the time (from reliable sources):

1. By the time of the draft, Whaley was a dead man walking. Everyone in the organization knew it.

2. Final decision for all picks really did go to McD.

3. McD badly wanted to draft a top CB in the draft as he felt it was a primary area of need and would jump-start the overhaul of the defense he envisioned.

4. McD had zeroed in on Lattimore with the #10 pick but was happy to trade down to 27 when the Chiefs offered up the #3 in 2017 plus the #1 in 2018.

5. McD agreed that QB was an area of need; he believed they could win with Tyrod but not get very far. But he was uncomfortable with the options at the top of the 2017 draft class -- and despite what Whaley and Manos claim in this article, there really was no consensus in the war room about whom the coveted QB was. (See next point.) 

6. Whaley reportedly was all in on D. Watson over Mahomes. The article barely touches on this by stating simply that they "liked Watson, too."

The center point of the article appears to be correct -- that Pegula had a "man crush" on Mahomes and was not bashful about expressing it to the decision makers in the war room -- but in the end decided to yield to the "football guys". In fact, it was later mis-reported in some circles that the reason Pegula fired Whaley was because he had passed on Mahomes in that draft. This was untrue for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was that Whaley's fate was decided well before the draft -- and McD was the one who had the final say with each pick in that draft. 

I suppose it is possible, as Whaley asserts, that if Mahomes had still been there at 27 that they would have taken him there. But, given what we know about the original plan to take Lattimore at #10 over any of the available QBs, it is also just as likely that the team would have still taken T. White anyway. The scouts did not have White ranked significantly behind Lattimore.

The interviews with Whaley and Monos read to me as a sort of passive-aggressive indictment of McD's handling of that draft. That said, I did not take the article as a hit piece on Josh at all, as I thought it was fairly even-handed with plenty of favorable quotes from teammates and coaches.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Is this sarcasm?  Mahomes is very possibly on his way to GOAT status.  Nothing lucky about missing out on him.

Would Mahomes survive Rick Dennison? If we drafted Mahomes I doubt he gets one year off and not sure our coaching staff do him any favors. 

Click bait, he said she said,

move along nothing to see here, 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, gotme365 said:

According to this article Pegula really wanted Mahomes. I love Josh but reading this made me really sad.

https://golongtd.substack.com/p/part-i-the-pressure-is-on-josh-allen

I know we didn’t get him even though we could of. I don’t remember too many screaming for teams to take Mahomes in the first round though. Many got it wrong.

I’m glad that we have our QB in JA. He’s a winner, is getting better, fits Buffalo and wants to be here.

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

I did not take the article as a hit piece on Josh at all, as I thought it was fairly even-handed with plenty of favorable quotes from teammates and coaches.

I'll go a step further (agreeing with you) and say that this is not negative toward Josh at all. It captures all the great things about him, while pointing out where he needs further development. We all know he is not yet a finished product, and occasionally, does not recognize what the defense is doing. Warner is right. 

He is smart, hard working and humble. All signs point to him taking the next steps in this process and becoming (he's close now) elite.

• Like (+1) 1

Oh, my, what is all this nonsense?

Anyway, I'll say this about Mahomes:  I'm not ready to call him the GOAT or any other farm animal.  Mahomes has a great arm, a great array of throws, and he has shown excellent decision making and judgment under fire.  All great characteristics.   He also has a great coach and great skill position players.  He needs Reid to hang around for another ten years.  

I think it is very likely that Mahomes wouldn't have been Mahomes in Buffalo, at least not as quickly as he's risen in KC.  For the last three years, no one has gotten as many easy throws as Mahomes.   What Mahomes brings to the table is that besides all the easy throws he gets, he's able to make some incredibly difficult ones.  On most other teams, including the Bills three years ago, he would have had to make a lot more really difficult throws.  

If the Bills were in their third year of Josh Rosen hadn't yet made it over .500, I'd join in the chorus lamenting the trade down.  But the Bills are in their fourth of a head coach who knew exactly what he was doing, and the Bills are in their third year of Josh Allen, and I am absolutely, perfectly, fine with that. 

• Like (+1) 1